Sportsnet: Treliving: It will cost a really good young player to get a 1st rounder

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
Personally, I think Hamilton is worth a top-5 pick, but I agree in premise.

Hamilton is young and all teams he has played for have tried to or traded him

THAT should really tell you something, those rumors that came out of Boston were true,

He is not well liked, and considering what he is the fact that he has been traded is a huge red flag

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
Bennett has not lived up to his draft position.
I would not even trade our 10 OA for him

I don't see why they would trade him anyway, he's a good young tenacious player who isn't going to get a superstars salary, can kill it on the third line and move up if injuries in the top 6 happen, yeah he's not a star but sometimes that's a good thing

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
You say you love troll posts. I say I love homer posts. Bennett hasn’t been consistent at all and I watch a lot of Flames games. Definitely not worth a 1st unless it’s a late one. Sorry the truth hurts.

People these days refuse to be objective about the value of their players

Check ANY Montreal thread for that

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Bennett has not lived up to his draft position.
I would not even trade our 10 OA for him

... well yeah I’d certainly hope not. I could see a team with multiple firsts taking a crack at him for a late first but other than that I sincerely doubt a player coming off back to back full seasons of 26 points has that kind of value.

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
I dont think he is worth a high end pick, but why sell really low before you know for sure what you have?

Because the longer you wait the less chance you have at another GM gambling on him blossoming with a change of scenery.

Once you know what have so does everyone else

But hey, you can still deal him too Jim Benning who LOVES dumpster diving

Betcha he gives you Joulevi AND a 2nd round pick for him

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
Easily worth a top 5 pick... the overrating of draft picks on this site is crazy. Hamilton is a top pairing defender. You hope someone in the top 5 (maybe not number 1) becomes as good or as valuabale as a top pairing defender

With all the guys we've seen jump right from the first round to galvanizing their team in recent years?

You think first rounders are overvalued?

OK, we'll take aall of yours, what do you want? Gudbransson? Erikkson? Gagner? Del Zotto? Poo? Joulevi? Virtanen? Demko? You can have Boesser for enough first rounders, only untouchable is Horvat.....I'd even hear you out on Peterson. Tanev? Edler? Baerchi?

Put together a package and we'll take em' all for the next 5 years, you can rob us since they are so overrated

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
Problem there is you're pretty much pointing out all the things he needs to have happen to give him more value. Currently he doesn't have enough value to go after a high end pick. I think the best the could hope for is a Turris esk Arizona trade and even there Turris had shown a little more than Bennett in my opinion.

I think you could get one of the Islander picks

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
Never assume, I see quite a few flames(edit) games as a Canuck fan and a hockey fan, unfortunately, the majority of the the flames games I see, he’s not playing or he’s not on top 6 lines so it’s hard to tell, he’s a good middle 6(2nd/3rd line)type player

Hard to take this seriously when the guy has only missed 6 games in the last three years, 2 games in the last two. Also, its been made very clear that they play him on the Third line.....so what is it you're actually trying to say?

Shanejones

Jun 12, 2018
Eastern passage
Hard to take this seriously when the guy has only missed 6 games in the last three years, 2 games in the last two. Also, its been made very clear that they play him on the Third line.....so what is it you're actually trying to say?
Just what it states, he’s either not playing or he’s 2nd or third line and it was reference another post, maybe scroll through and get the entire story first

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
With all the guys we've seen jump right from the first round to galvanizing their team in recent years?

You think first rounders are overvalued?

OK, we'll take aall of yours, what do you want? Gudbransson? Erikkson? Gagner? Del Zotto? Poo? Joulevi? Virtanen? Demko? You can have Boesser for enough first rounders, only untouchable is Horvat.....I'd even hear you out on Peterson. Tanev? Edler? Baerchi?

Put together a package and we'll take em' all for the next 5 years, you can rob us since they are so overrated

Leafs next two first rounders for Boesser, done deal.

Edit: yes 1st rounders are overrated as hell because people value them like the players drafted is always going to step right into the NHL when the chances are against that. Seeing the asks for picks are 10 are hilarious.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
According to this board 85% of active NHL players can get one of the Islander picks. Bennett can take a seat with Grabauer, Tanev, Edler, Athanasiou, Pacioretty, Petry and all the rest.
But he 26 pts in each of the last 2 seasons.
If the isles want him, they better be prepared to overpay :popcorn:

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
He is trying to deflect any future criticism for not recouping any first round picks in this draft.

Nothing else to see here

Reactions: Brock Radunske

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
But he 26 pts in each of the last 2 seasons.
If the isles want him, they better be prepared to overpay :popcorn:

It's crazy how so many fanbases want to trade their expendable veterans for 12th overall! Man, if I didn't know anything about hockey, that would say to me the 12th overall is a coveted asset, and whoever holds it sets the value and won't trade it unless they get something that significantly improves their team.

Luckily I'm a hockey fan so I know the Islanders just have to take whatever 26-point forward, UFA left winger, 32-year-old defenseman, or backup goalie gets offered first.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
What I consider and he considers aren't necessarily the same thing. He was clearly talking about Bennett and Jankowski, only other young roster player is Tkachuk and we wouldn't give him up for the #1 pick.
Agreed. I'd love to see Tkachuk traded for a 1st but it would never(and shouldn't) happen anytime in the near future. Bennett and Jankowski I guess we'll have to agree to disagree

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
No chance I'd trade the Leafs first for Bennett but I'd give a 2nd and a prospect for him as a reclamation project.

Wayne Primeau

Stay Gold
Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa
Hamilton is young and all teams he has played for have tried to or traded him

THAT should really tell you something, those rumors that came out of Boston were true,

He is not well liked, and considering what he is the fact that he has been traded is a huge red flag

The Flames have never shopped Hamilton and for good reason -- they would be foolish to.

I don't understand why Treliving is facing so much criticism for trading for Hamonic. It's not like he's simply given those picks away for nothing. Hamonic was the Flames' second-best defender last year on the defensive side of the puck and he brings so much more stability to the top-four. If anything, trading for Lazar (which was stupid from the start) should be faced with much more criticism. But draft picks aren't the end of the world and the Flames have a strong prospect pool -- look how many players they sent to the WJC this year.

Wayne Primeau

Stay Gold
Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa
Agreed, because no one will pay his sticker price. Calgary should and will keep him.

Why would they not? Hamilton turns 25 today and is coming off a 17-goal season as a defenseman, good enough to lead the entire league in that category. I think if the Flames traded Hamilton, they could get an incredible return, but they have zero reason to deal him. He's on a sweetheart contract and has shown no indication of wanting to leave.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Why would they not? Hamilton turns 25 today and is coming off a 17-goal season as a defenseman, good enough to lead the entire league in that category. I think if the Flames traded Hamilton, they could get an incredible return, but they have zero reason to deal him. He's on a sweetheart contract and has shown no indication of wanting to leave.
He's in a weird spot because he is great in a lot of ways but still has flaws that will prevent major investment from other teams

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad