News Article: Treatment For Concussion Victims

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Perhaps there is renewed hope for long term concussion victims like Michael Sauer.

It's the machine credited for curing the concussion of NHL star Sidney Crosby. It's the machine Avalanche first-round draft pick Joey Hishon credits for helping him get back on the ice after nearly two years of conventional but fruitless medical treatment for a concussion.

http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche...on-recovery-no-fda-approval-yet#ixzz2V5EEUUrL

(I hope the Rangers organization is aware of this treatment option)

Last edited:

LetterJ

Feb 16, 2012
Atlantic Canada
Perhaps there is renewed hope for long term concussion victims like Michael Sauer.

It's the machine credited for curing the concussion of NHL star Sidney Crosby. It's the machine Avalanche first-round draft pick Joey Hishon credits for helping him get back on the ice after nearly two years of conventional but fruitless medical treatment for a concussion.

http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche...on-recovery-no-fda-approval-yet#ixzz2V5EEUUrL

(I hope the Rangers organization is aware of this treatment option)

The title is somewhat misleading, because we, as a board, have discussed Dr. Carrick before. Carrick is, as you mentioned, the doc that treated Crosby:

But Maher thought his spinning chair should be in the hands of the medical community, so in 2010 he loaned one to Life University in Marietta, Ga., for experimental use.

A functional neurologist there, Dr. Ted Carrick, noticed immediate results in patients with various brain injuries. Carrick practices chiropractic neurology, a field that uses no drugs or surgery. Carrick has since been recognized as the first to effectively use the GyroStim for brain injuries, and his profile became much bigger after he treated Crosby in 2011. The Pittsburgh Penguins star suffered a concussion in January of that year and saw little improvement for several months before seeing Carrick and undergoing treatment in the GyroStim.

If Sauer has not gone this route, it is baffling to say the least.

Thumpz

Jan 5, 2011
Orlando FL
Somebody forward the link to someone like jim cerny on Twitter and see if he knows whether it's been tried. You might just save Sauer's career.

I love reading stories like this, from a purely scientific standpoint. I've heard about similar spin treatments in the past, but nothing so specific. I've never heard of anyone trying those treatments while focusing on a stationary object, it sounds like if this works the key to it was so simple all along. Not that it's guaranteed to work or work for everyone, but a leap forward in terms of treating brain injuries would be amazing.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Somebody forward the link to someone like jim cerny on Twitter and see if he knows whether it's been tried. You might just save Sauer's career.

I love reading stories like this, from a purely scientific standpoint. I've heard about similar spin treatments in the past, but nothing so specific. I've never heard of anyone trying those treatments while focusing on a stationary object, it sounds like if this works the key to it was so simple all along. Not that it's guaranteed to work or work for everyone, but a leap forward in terms of treating brain injuries would be amazing.

Do you honestly think someone suffering concussion symptoms for 18 months wouldn't at least be aware of this treatment option? Particularly when we're not talking about some joe 6 pack...clearly the NHL and multiple players are already familiar with it.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Do you honestly think someone suffering concussion symptoms for 18 months wouldn't at least be aware of this treatment option? Particularly when we're not talking about some joe 6 pack...clearly the NHL and multiple players are already familiar with it.

I wouldn't be certain. Kurt Sauer has received treatments for his severe whiplash injury (for the 1000th time read: not a concussion) here in Phoenix. The way he found out about the treatment? A company offering the treatment read a newspaper article about the injury and posted a comment suggesting he call. It has allowed him to lead a much more normal life.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
For someone like Sauer? Much better chance of him reading them then someone like crosby.

Good point. I haven't seen him on twitter yet at least, he may be somewhere. Although, I'd be a little bit confused as to why him/the Rangers (Haven't found this unless they did.) By this I mean treatment method.

Thumpz

Jan 5, 2011
Orlando FL
It's possibly a case of, "out of sight, out of mind". In this case, it's such a new, not actually medically defined treatment that it's entirely possible the team doctors, or any doctors that he's seen may not have even heard of it yet. Doctors are generally good at keeping up to date on the latest treatments, but there are definitely times when there are things they don't know of yet.

It's also completely possible he's tried it with no results. It's probably a safe bet that there have been patients who tried this treatment and not received results, this article is clearly biased towards looking at it in a purely positive light. But you never know.

Baby Punisher

Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
Amazing article.

In regards to Sauer, I agree it's possible that he may or maynot have heard it. Tweeting an article to him or even to the Rangers takes seconds to do & if they have heard of it no big deal, but if there is a slight chance that they haven't, they have now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad