Tre, What a Beauty

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I know I’m biased, but Treliving is favourite GM in the NHL. He’s not perfect, he’s made some mistakes with some of his signings, but the guy is like a terminator. Once he sets his sights on someone, he usually always gets his guy. He’s very smart, always prepared, is a relentless worker and I think he’s got a great pulse on the game. Without a doubt, this is now his team. I mean it probably was last year, but it’s really his team now.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think the only players that remain from before he got here are Gio, Brodie, Backlund, Monahan and Johnny? I feel like other than Brouwer, he’s corrected most of his mistakes already from the coaching, goaltending, defence and up front. He addressed the chemistry in the room, added depth down the middle, then on the defence, tried multiple combos in between the pipes, this off-season was all about fixing our holes up front, he’s also added quite a bit depth in the minors.

The guy is just super ambitious to win and is not afraid to swing for the fences. I just love Treliving.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I know I’m biased, but Treliving is favourite GM in the NHL. He’s not perfect, he’s made some mistakes with some of his signings, but the guy is like a terminator. Once he sets his sights on someone, he usually always gets his guy. He’s very smart, always prepared, is a relentless worker and I think he’s got a great pulse on the game. Without a doubt, this is now his team. I mean it probably was last year, but it’s really his team now.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think the only players that remain from before he got here are Gio, Brodie, Backlund, Monahan and Johnny?.

- Jankowski
- Kulak
- Klimchuk
- Gillies

I still wish we had found a way to hang on to Ferland but our roster looks excellent right now.

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
And it's his first GM job. He's made mistakes, but I think he will be great in the future too whenever he is on his second team.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Almost every problem with the team from last season has been fixed.

Top line RW? Check
Depth scoring? Check
Upgrades to the bottom six? Check
Coaching? Check

The only remaining potential issue is if Smith goes down to injury again. I'm not 100% convinced that Rittich or Gillies is able to handle the starter job for a long stretch of games.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I also give Burke credit for hiring Tre, but I feel like he was holding him back up and until last season. Treliving clearly never wanted a big, heavy team, he wants a fast and skilled one.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I feel more comfortable with the team and Treliving since signing Neal. Kinda forces Peters to not use Ryan willy-nilly like in Carolina.

My confidence in him kinda started to waver with that signing as I thought that we would stand pat after that or go after Maroon too

JurassicTunga

it is what it is
Mar 21, 2010
This guy works extremely hard. For sure. As mentioned, he identifies the issues of the team, and works hard at trying to fix them. He did great work of that this off season so far.
More often than not, I really like his moves.

I like Brad Treliving.

Calgareee

Jun 29, 2015
I feel more comfortable with the team and Treliving since signing Neal. Kinda forces Peters to not use Ryan willy-nilly like in Carolina.

My confidence in him kinda started to waver with that signing as I thought that we would stand pat after that or go after Maroon too

100% this. I was pretty “meh” on the off season but had a feeling that with Neal still being on table we were going to be going for him. It just made too much sense based on our needs.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Won't find a lot of GMs with a perfect track record. Treliving has had some stumbles certainly and I was starting to get a little ornery between last season and thinking we were going to end up only one Derek Ryan richer after trading Ferland and Hamilton.

In particular I think the cap management has been terrific. Also think the Bill Peters hire has the potential to be a really good one. The team is in better shape than when he came on for sure.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
I prefer Bergevin

I think we need to pull Gerry McNamara out of retirement. If only Harold was still alive to buy the team.

tspa_0030557f.jpg

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Found some film to help the Flames with the pp..

All joking aside I don't think the Flames have been this complete since the late 80's early 90's.

Thanks Tre

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Honestly I’m still sceptical.

Applauding GMs during Free Agent signings is not something I will ever do. 75% of these deals end up bad.

I want to see how this all plays out over time with the salary cap etc. He hasn’t shown me he has the ability to push this team where it should be. But time will tell.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

Applauding GMs during Free Agent signings is not something I will ever do. 75% of these deals end up bad.

I want to see how this all plays out over time with the salary cap etc. He hasn’t shown me he has the ability to push this team where it should be. But time will tell.

Which is fair Snipes, but what more can we ask of the man as fans? Like LB mentioned above, the man has checked all the boxes this off-season. Since he’s gotten here, he took a roster that needed everything and was full of holes and he’s now assembled the deepest roster that we’ve had arguably since the 80’s. I mean if the team doesn’t workout, sure you can blame him for hiring Peters. But I don’t think anyone can say Treliving hasn’t done his job to the fullest this offseason. It now falls on the coaches from this point, Treliving has assembled a team that should compete for the division. We should have last season, but we had chemistry and coaching issues, which have all now been dealt with. The man is just a task wizard.

Reactions: Savoie16

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
He has tried to fix holes on this team every summer.
I appreciate that. He's a good GM, who works hard.

He's done what he can minus getting us another star; now it's time for the players/coaches to do the work they need to.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
He has tried to fix holes on this team every summer.
I appreciate that. He's a good GM, who works hard.

He's done what he can minus getting us another star; now it's time for the players/coaches to do the work they need to.

The thing is, I look at what Tre was when he started here to what he is now, he’s gotten a lot better.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
The thing is, I look at what Tre was when he started here to what he is now, he’s gotten a lot better.

Absolutely.
I just appreciate that he tries every summer.

It doesn't always work, Elliott, Brouwer... but he tries. We needed a top 6 scorer, he went out and got Brouwer; his play just fell off a cliff. We needed a starting goalie, went out and got Elliott, then his play wasn't up to snuff.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
He's calculated, and clearly works harder than most GMs. Once he knew Hamilton was a bit of a personality issue, he's probably methodically mapping out in his head our current roster. His ability to sign solid value contracts is terrific. He's made at least one big mistake in UFA, but he's not scared to try. I have no idea how his latest moves will turn out, but on paper, this team is a hell of a lot better than last season. Hopefully Peters is a better coach then GG and Smith's groin holds up, because the GM has done a lot this offseason to help.

I like Treliving a lot, he's a very solid Manager in my eyes. Whether or not this works out, I'll always remember him as someone who did a solid job with the information he had at the time.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
I've been critical of him in the last year but I like what he's done this off season. Roster looks deep; coaching staff has a clean slate and prospect depth is decent considering we've bought more time with NHL ready pick ups. I just hope Czarnik gets a chance along with Foo, Andersson and Kylington.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA

I feel like Treliving has done all that he can to ensure that this team has a good enough roster to make the playoffs every year. Last year was all on GG and the AC's. They just didn't know how to motivate this squad to win games. You saw the product that was out there, our guys looked heartless so many times I can't count them.

A GM can only do so much. Now, it depends on the new coaching staff and the new players we've acquired to ensure we are playing the new style of play Treliving has wanted: versatility.

Treliving has recognized his mistakes as GM with the hire of GG and the signing of Brouwer to just name the bigger ones (which are pretty dang small compared to other GM's in the league). He let GG go and signed Peters, who doesn't appear to have a good track record but also didn't have a very good team to work with. Hard to have a good team when you've never had a 1C and finally obtained your top pairing D towards the last season. He just addressed our RW problem that we've had for years by acquiring RW's: Lindholm, Czarnik, Ryan and Neal. All can play RW, 3/4 can play center if need be.

As you said, time will tell. But, how can we not be excited for this season? I feel like last season, on paper we looked like:

Forwards: C
Defense: A
Goaltending: B-

Now, this season looks like we downgraded slightly on defense to bolster up the offense with Carolina forward and UFA signings:

Forwards: B+
Defense: A-
Goaltending: B (this is just me thinking that it will be better with Rittich and Smith having more time with the Flames now).

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
I think Smith is A+ if he can stay healthy. Dude, is hands down the best thing we've had since Kipper. He won us games last year, and before going down was one of the best goalies in the league.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Which is fair Snipes, but what more can we ask of the man as fans? Like LB mentioned above, the man has checked all the boxes this off-season. Since he’s gotten here, he took a roster that needed everything and was full of holes and he’s now assembled the deepest roster that we’ve had arguably since the 80’s. I mean if the team doesn’t workout, sure you can blame him for hiring Peters. But I don’t think anyone can say Treliving hasn’t done his job to the fullest this offseason. It now falls on the coaches from this point, Treliving has assembled a team that should compete for the division. We should have last season, but we had chemistry and coaching issues, which have all now been dealt with. The man is just a task wizard.

I posted on another thread. BT has done a great job this summer.

The result is still to be seen but nobody can deny he did everything he could.

Now if none of this work, I'll be the first one to call for his head but at least for now he deserves an A for trying :laugh:

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad