News Article: Travis Williams Hired to Run Business Operations

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Please demonstrate how Travis Williams is "awful talent," otherwise stop polluting this thread with your gibberish posts.

The Islanders need to start doing something to improve the talent on the ice.
No need to explain how I have arrived to this conclusion because It's my opinion.
This team is a bad team with flaws galore. Awful offseason. Horrible arena. This organization has failed it's fans over and over.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
See, the fact that it's your opinion is exactly why you should explain how you have arrived at it.

Other than the original poster no other posters have explained in any detail their opinion(s) as to why they support the move.
So because I find the move strange in an opposing fashion you ask me to elaborate.
Did you ask any of them to explain themselves?
Because its not a fact that Travis Williams being hired by the Islanders is a good move.
Maybe Mavricknyc1980 and nyisles could help us out here.
So why does "Richie Daggers Crime" like Travis Williams? You have a right to your majority "opinion" but I must of missed the post explaining how you arrived at it.
I doubt you or anyone else even knew who this person was until the NY Islanders hired him.
Are we to assume that this is a great hiring because he was with a successful Penguins organization?
And why are people on this board so head over heels for LL and everything he does?

Last edited:

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
No one has explained their opinion as to why they support the move.
Correct?
But because I oppose the move you ask me that question.
Why not them?
It not a fact that Travis Williams being hired by the Islanders is a good move its an opinion.
I certainly didn't see your reasoning stated in any post. Are we to assume that this is a great hiring because he was with a successful Penguins organization.

Exactly because he had success. He was a part of success and potentially good at what he does.
Let’s just say the article indicates proven success. Your entitled to your opinion but Produce something that indicates why you think it is a bad move. Instead you deflect back to your opinion that LL had a bad offseason which true or not has nothing to do with this move.

Just saying you are against it without any reason seems a bit awkward, Like people who say the earth is not round because it is an opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: nyisles

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Exactly because he had success. He was a part of success and potentially good at what he does.
Let’s just say the article indicates proven success. Your entitled to your opinion but Produce something that indicates why you think it is a bad move. Instead you deflect back to your opinion that LL had a bad offseason which true or not has nothing to do with this move.

Just saying you are against it without any reason seems a bit awkward, Like people who say the earth is not round because it is an opinion.

Ok so maybe he will be good for the NY Islanders or maybe he will have no impact at all. Maybe he will be meh. Maybe he will be a disaster.
I just want to make the NYI's team great again. I don't see that happening for a long time and I'm tired of losing. This organization is forever rebuilding. I'm on the ledge.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
So because I find the move strange in an opposing fashion you ask me to elaborate.

No, I suggested that you elaborate because saying "it's my opinion, I don't have to explain" makes no sense.

So why does "Richie Daggers Crime" like Travis Williams? You have a right to your majority "opinion" but I must of missed the post explaining how you arrived at it.

I don't like or dislike him. I'm interesting in reading why others might though, because it's often interesting, or funny, or insightful. And, if it's not, and it's banal or boring, I can mock it to amuse myself.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
No need to explain how I have arrived to this conclusion because It's my opinion.
This team is a bad team with flaws galore. Awful offseason. Horrible arena. This organization has failed it's fans over and over.
Are you aware that the Islanders are taking back ALL of their back office functions beginning next season? That they are pointing towards owning and operating their own arena starting in the 2021-22 season? When should they have filled this position?

I think this is a smart hire.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY

What does a business operation hire have to do with on-ice talent? As a season ticket holder, I welcome ANY attempt at improving the business operation side of the team.

Reactions: periferal

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
What does a business operation hire have to do with on-ice talent? As a season ticket holder, I welcome ANY attempt at improving the business operation side of the team.
I would like to be a partial ticket holder myself but not now. I will try to be optimistic and give Lou a chance. We are getting a new stadium. Travis will help with this I hope. We have a great coach. We have competent management that I'm not sold on after this past free agency period. That's where I draw the line.
Now you can have the prettiest uniforms. The most amazing arena. The best ticket prices. A prime location. But if the team is bad and has no star power than its not going to work.
You may have some degree of attention in a major hockey city if the team is awful but Brooklyn/LI doesn't qualify.
Pittsburgh success goes hand in hand. It helps when you have Crosby and Malkin to sell. It helps when you win Cups. Then you can sell merchandise, tickets, parking spaces and whatever Kiss does.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I would like to be a partial ticket holder myself but not now. I will try to be optimistic and give Lou a chance. We are getting a new stadium. Travis will help with this I hope. We have a great coach. We have competent management that I'm not sold on after this past free agency period. That's where I draw the line.
Now you can have the prettiest uniforms. The most amazing arena. The best ticket prices. A prime location. But if the team is bad and has no star power than its not going to work.
You may have some degree of attention in a major hockey city if the team is awful but Brooklyn/LI doesn't qualify.
Pittsburgh success goes hand in hand. It helps when you have Crosby and Malkin to sell. It helps when you win Cups. Then you can sell merchandise, tickets, parking spaces and whatever Kiss does.

You're not sold on a guy who has won 3 cups because in a single off-season after being in charge of a dumpster fire, he didn't bring in grade A talent, in one of the worst free agent markets in recent memory, to make the on ice product competitive...

Do you realize how crazy that is?

Maybe Lamoriello stinks now, but to not give him some time is insane given the situation he walked into.

Skip To My Lou

Abused Fan
May 4, 2010
Garden City, NY
This team has been run like a circus the past 30 years or so. Hiring someone who knows his stuff in a prominent position is a great hire regardless if it's on the ice or not.

Not sure why this is considered "awful."

Reactions: PWJunior

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
You're not sold on a guy who has won 3 cups because in a single off-season after being in charge of a dumpster fire, he didn't bring in grade A talent, in one of the worst free agent markets in recent memory, to make the on ice product competitive...

Do you realize how crazy that is?

Maybe Lamoriello stinks now, but to not give him some time is insane given the situation he walked into.

I'll give you this. This was a very bad free agency market. Perhaps the worst in recent memory other than ironically JT.
My problem is who we signed and acquired. Also who was allowed to walk.
I rather have just done nothing and let the kids audition than waste cap space on Lehner, Leo, Martin, and the rest.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I'll give you this. This was a very bad free agency market. Perhaps the worst in recent memory other than ironically JT.
My problem is who we signed and acquired. Also who was allowed to walk.
I rather have just done nothing and let the kids audition than waste cap space on Lehner, Leo, Martin, and the rest.

They're all on short deals, except Lehner. The cap hit is insignificant since we're not competing.

Hiring Travis Williams is another step in the right direction. Maybe he can correct some of the business stuff that's been awful for years. I really thought the Barclays people did a nice job early on, but then completely neglected the Isles once it wasn't working.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina

For the 100th time (and I am sure it has been explained to you more than that on here), the Islanders were not making a big move once Tavares lost. Of course they have flaws, they just lost their best player.

What would you like? A sticker for your conclusion?

And You Feel Shame

Jul 31, 2007
I prefer to evaluate the offseason after a little bit of time has passed. Maybe at 20 games in we'll have a decent idea of who is/is not working, though really other then Komorov these signings are relatively meaningless, since they are all off the books next season.

Meanwhile if Filpulla or Sbisa show some signs of life (so far signs are decent for Fil and not so much for Sbisa) then maybe Lou can flip them for a pick at the deadline for a playoff team needing depth. I can't see how these are miserable signings when they are no risk, moderate gain options later this season.

Sounds like he was in on Karlsson, in on Pacioretty, in on Grubauer, but knew where to draw the line to give the franchise's future the best shot. None of those are sure-shot answers to make this team a contender, and we are much better off with Lehner/Dobson than Grubauer for example.

Management of this team is significantly improved. That foundation *should* be encouraging to any fan. I'm sure it is to the players and to prospective players.

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
Ok so maybe he will be good for the NY Islanders or maybe he will have no impact at all. Maybe he will be meh. Maybe he will be a disaster.
I just want to make the NYI's team great again. I don't see that happening for a long time and I'm tired of losing. This organization is forever rebuilding. I'm on the ledge.

Really? Well step back from the ledge by all means. It is not that important in life. Not even a good joke.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad