Confirmed with Link: Travis Sanheim signs for 2 years, $3.25 million annually

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

He might get protected, but it seems unlikely unless Lindblom doesn't need to be.

Giroux (NMC), Voracek, Hayes (NMC) Konecny, Couturier, Patrick, NAK
Provorov, Sanheim, Myers
Hart

Sign Raffl to a one year, $1m extension for 21-22 and he can be the second forward meeting the Minimum Exposure Requirements along with JVR.

Reactions: AdamParrot

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
I doubt Seattle would pick NAK over JVR. They'll have all the cap space in the world and could definitely use a veteran star player like JVR to start the franchise.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Comparing raw points between a forward and a defenseman is an odd way to excuse management for not locking up arguably the team's most effective defenseman just entering his prime. :dunno:

When the Sanheim contract was negotiated, neither side was sure of his value going forward.
Look at the Trouba contract, and he had a lot longer history, think Rangers don't have buyer's regret?

The bridge deal made sense for both sides, enough money for Sanheim to have life-time security (about $4M after taxes and agent fees), and the option to cash in in two years, while the Flyers get two years below the cost of a long-term deal. Even if they pay an extra $1M a year down the road, when you roll in those two years, they come out about even without incurring the risk that Sanheim doesn't live up to his potential.

There was no reason for Sanheim to accept a low ball ($4-5M a year deal), and no reason for the Flyers to offer a high ball ($6+M).
In two years even if the Flyers sign him to a 6yr/$7M deal (2 RFA years at $5M plus 4 UFA years at $8M), it'll end up a 8yr/$48.5M deal, or $6M a year for 8 years.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
I don't know whose hate is less justified on these boards: Laughton or Braun

I really like Braun but paying your 6th defenseman 3.8m AAV is going to have some long term implications. You need to start separating the player themselves from their AAV and how they were acquired. You can like a player but not the other aspects surrounding them.

Its 2020 in a capped league you have to move beyond checkers and start playing chess.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I doubt Seattle would pick NAK over JVR. They'll have all the cap space in the world and could definitely use a veteran star player like JVR to start the franchise.

Ya never know. Vegas passed on a few higher priced proven players for younger and/or cheaper players. Depends on who else they select and where the dominoes fall.

Reactions: LorneMalvo

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I saw a tweet last month (possibly as a reply to Meltzer) asking which three dmen get protected:

Provorov, Sanheim, Niskanen, Myers

Reactions: Beef Invictus

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Not sure Braun would be interested in a yearly discount when the cap is going up...unless he was getting more long term security.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Stralman just got $5.5 mil for 3 years last summer, same age. Now, he was a historically better player, and Braun's usage has dipped 3 minutes in his contract year. But Stralman has been pretty mediocre this and last season.

Braun has a good reputation as a RD veteran. GMs trip over themselves for that. I don't see him getting less than ~ $4 mil on the market, and for at least 2 years. I'm not saying it can't happen, but I think people saying he'll sign for $2-3 mil or something on a 1 year deal maybe aren't being realistic about the free agency market. Wouldn't surprise me if Braun wanted to stay, so the question is: does Fletcher want that contract?

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Flyers may have $14.5 mil left on the cap based on the $84 mil projection.

NAK re-signed for $1 mil x 2 years, Myers $2.2 mil x 2 years, backup goalie $2 mil, Friedman as the extra for 700k, Patrick $2 mil, Frost $850k, extra 4th liner for <$1 mil.

That's $4.75 mil. If they want room for a cheap 22nd roster player, that's still $4 mil. And I didn't even trade Ghost, or even Laughton, who could be a stealthy sell high as an impending UFA (I had him at 4C in my 2020-2021 lineup). I don't think they do. But that $4.5 mil at least is probably coming off the books. Again, not saying Braun will happen, but there's not a whole lot of wheeling and dealing required. I'm just not going to be surprised if it happens.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Stralman just got $5.5 mil for 3 years last summer, same age. Now, he was a historically better player, and Braun's usage has dipped 3 minutes in his contract year. But Stralman has been pretty mediocre this and last season.

Braun has a good reputation as a RD veteran. GMs trip over themselves for that. I don't see him getting less than ~ $4 mil on the market, and for at least 2 years. I'm not saying it can't happen, but I think people saying he'll sign for $2-3 mil or something on a 1 year deal maybe aren't being realistic about the free agency market. Wouldn't surprise me if Braun wanted to stay, so the question is: does Fletcher want that contract?

I think it's more a matter of Fletcher telling Braun to shop himself, and if he doesn't get an offer he likes, the Flyers would like to have him back, but only as a 3rd pair defenseman on an affordable (i.e. if two years, affordable as a 7th defenseman after the ED) deal.

With Ghost, Hagg, and Friedman, makes no sense to break the bank for Braun.
Two years from now, York, Zamula, Kalynuk?, Wylie?, Hogberg? could be pushing for spots.

If Fletcher wants to spend, it would be for a young RHD who can pair with Provorov down the road.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Flyers may have $14.5 mil left on the cap based on the $84 mil projection.

NAK re-signed for $1 mil x 2 years, Myers $2.2 mil x 2 years, backup goalie $2 mil, Friedman as the extra for 700k, Patrick $2 mil, Frost $850k, extra 4th liner for <$1 mil.

That's $4.75 mil. If they want room for a cheap 22nd roster player, that's still $4 mil. And I didn't even trade Ghost, or even Laughton, who could be a stealthy sell high as an impending UFA (I had him at 4C in my 2020-2021 lineup). I don't think they do. But that $4.5 mil at least is probably coming off the books. Again, not saying Braun will happen, but there's not a whole lot of wheeling and dealing required. I'm just not going to be surprised if it happens.
What did the Hagg extension come in at?

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
I think it's more a matter of Fletcher telling Braun to shop himself, and if he doesn't get an offer he likes, the Flyers would like to have him back, but only as a 3rd pair defenseman on an affordable (i.e. if two years, affordable as a 7th defenseman after the ED) deal.

With Ghost, Hagg, and Friedman, makes no sense to break the bank for Braun.
Two years from now, York, Zamula, Kalynuk?, Wylie?, Hogberg? could be pushing for spots.

If Fletcher wants to spend, it would be for a young RHD who can pair with Provorov down the road.
Finding a long term Niskanen replacement will be tricky. Top pairing RHD don't grow on trees.
Maybe Myers can be the answer, but he's still very raw.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
He's not the 6th dman, though. And he's a UFA.

With Hagg in he is the #5 the way Ghost was playing earlier in the year I think makes Braun the #6. But itd possible Ghosts knee has pouched his season.

Braun is for sure the 3RD at this point. His ice time has been sliding all year. Over the last 20 games he has probably averaged maybe 16:30 a game?

Hind sight is obviously 20/20 and I do like Braun as a player, but if you could have had Friedman in Brauns current role and signed Sanheim longterm which would you have preferred?

It's kind of a toss up for me. And we can't know if that extra 3 million would have got the deal done anyways.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
With Hagg in he is the #5 the way Ghost was playing earlier in the year I think makes Braun the #6. But itd possible Ghosts knee has pouched his season.

Braun is for sure the 3RD at this point. His ice time has been sliding all year. Over the last 20 games he has probably averaged maybe 16:30 a game?

Hind sight is obviously 20/20 and I do like Braun as a player, but if you could have had Friedman in Brauns current role and signed Sanheim longterm which would you have preferred?

It's kind of a toss up for me. And we can't know if that extra 3 million would have got the deal done anyways.

I don't think the $3M was the reason Sanheim wasn't signed long-term, rather, he didn't have enough of a track record for Fletcher to give him a big money, long-term deal before this season. And there was no reason for Sanheim to accept a low-ball.

He'll still have 2 RFA seasons remaining at the end of his deal, so it shouldn't be hard to agree on a market based 6-8 year deal including the two RFA years.

Reactions: achdumeingute

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013

I liked what I've seen from Friedman this year, but he's not on Braun's level. Braun's an important part of our depth. When was the last time we had a bottom pairing defenseman as good as him?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad