Confirmed with Link: Travis Sanheim signs for 2 years, $3.25 million annually

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
102 pts and went to **** in the playoffs. We might have not won that series but V,g,ghost stunk and thats why we had no shot. New year so lets get in and see what happens.

No, we had no shot because Hakstol thought it would be a good idea for Filpulla to chase Sidney Crosby's shadow.

Doesnt matter who shows up. Crosby isnt being stopped by Filpulla.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
No, we had no shot because Hakstol thought it would be a good idea for Filpulla to chase Sidney Crosby's shadow.

Who was he going to be stopped by? The league wants to know! :naughty:

Norze

Jun 28, 2018
Norway
Added a top 6 forward. Added a 4th line forechecker.
Cleared out Varone, Knight, Hartman, Weise, Lehtera, Bailey, Simmonds
Added 2 top 4 RHDs
Cleared out Folin (Schlemko), MacDonald, Gudas.

Basically reworked the bottom six and half the defense.
Other changes will probably wait for AV's assessment of the team.

^this... and we did not come close to trade away any of our (major) assets!

Reactions: hatcher

Norze

Jun 28, 2018
Norway
Now that we have filled all the roles and holes, people can do what they are best at doing! This will give players the confidence to do their best in AVs system and also be better team players.

Team spirit is underestimated, so if AV brings this group of players together and they work the tactics as a team, we will have something to look forward to this year!

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa

This still makes me laugh, cry and vomit (not always in that order). Common sense dictates that even after seeing how absolutely pathetic that strategy was, he continued to chase that matchup.

What an epic f*** up he was :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Sure would have been nice to lock him up longterm under 6AAV. Oh well, we just had to have Justin Braun.

Uh, what makes you think his agent would accept that kind of deal, knowing Sanheim was going to improve and be able to negotiate a much better deal in a couple years?

There's this wishful thinking mode, oh, such and such FA will sign here because we want them.
Or, we can lowball all our free agents.

Reactions: Deadpool8812

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Only good thing about the two year bridge deal is Chuck gets another chance this summer.

2 year bridge again so we can then acquire a 33 year old Ryan Mcdonaugh from the lightning for the out of favor Shayne Gostisbehere at 50% retained while adding a 1st round pick in 2023. Mcdonaugh will provide that veteran leadership that Cam York will need.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
I don't know whose hate is less justified on these boards: Laughton or Braun

I don't hate either player. Braun's been fine, but the decision to acquire him may well have an effect on our cap structure beyond this season.

Uh, what makes you think his agent would accept that kind of deal, knowing Sanheim was going to improve and be able to negotiate a much better deal in a couple years?

There's this wishful thinking mode, oh, such and such FA will sign here because we want them.
Or, we can lowball all our free agents.

You have no idea if it was possible or not. You speculate just as much as anyone else on here when it suits your narrative. If you start another paragraph with some form of "My suspicion..." or "What I suspect..." or "What I think..." to try to wedge your square narrative into the round hole of reality I will start insulting Jerry Garcia Monty Python-style and will not relent until you admit you've been wrong about something.

There's been enough reporting on this to connect the dots. The Flyers did not strongly pursue a longterm deal with Sanheim. They were happy to bridge him and use the savings on Braun. A highly questionable decision in a capped league with a young improving asset. Somehow they were magically able to wait out TK & Provorov, but Sanheim's agent must have a really intimidating Hakstolian stare and Fletch flinched. Only possible explanation as to why he folded so quickly.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
"If you start another paragraph with some form of "My suspicion..." or "What I suspect..." or "What I think..."

The reason I do that is because unlike some here I don't pretend to have a pipeline from God or Fletcher.

So I'm wary of stating that my opinions are "facts."

In every negotiation, proposed numbers and a general framework is shared, each side's general expectations of cost and term. If it was clear that the two sides were far apart, a bridge deal made sense. If Sanheim's agent wanted a deal based on his upside, Fletcher was right to refuse, b/c he can always make the same deal two years later (he'll pay a little more but get two relatively cheap seasons to balance it out).

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
"If you start another paragraph with some form of "My suspicion..." or "What I suspect..." or "What I think..."

The reason I do that is because unlike some here I don't pretend to have a pipeline from God or Fletcher.

So I'm wary of stating that my opinions are "facts."

In every negotiation, proposed numbers and a general framework is shared, each side's general expectations of cost and term. If it was clear that the two sides were far apart, a bridge deal made sense. If Sanheim's agent wanted a deal based on his upside, Fletcher was right to refuse, b/c he can always make the same deal two years later (he'll pay a little more but get two relatively cheap seasons to balance it out).

Baloney. It's just your way to pretend to sound open-minded but confirm your own biases. I've said this before, but it all comes down to one core central argument, which is a mindless appeal to authority, i.e. these guys are professionals, so they must know what they're doing. The problem with that is that the track record on this is glaring, i.e. these guys way too frequently make poor or questionable decisions, decisions that literally any bozo walking around South Philly in a Gagne jersey who has never so much stepped foot on a sheet of ice can see upfront are poor or questionable. I do not pretend to have a direct line to god or Fletch, and admit I'm a f***ing moron, and yet somehow the professionals couldn't figure out that Brandon Manning sucked and that Travis Sanheim should have had his ice time but I could. It's infuriating.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
We can't be sure, but we can make reasonable guesses in specific areas. We know both camps started talking about both short and long term deals and were open to either until the team pivoted to a bridge. COC is not one to make things up. Given that Fletcher has shown a baseline for competence and the way the offseason unfolded, it's not a huge jump to say Fletcher knew he was running out of space.

Is it a materially different conversation to lock him up for 6/32 or 6/36?

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
We can't be sure, but we can make reasonable guesses in specific areas. We know both camps started talking about both short and long term deals and were open to either until the team pivoted to a bridge. COC is not one to make things up. Given the way the offseason unfolded, it's not a huge jump to say Fletcher knew he was running out of space.

Is it a materially different conversation to lock him up for 6/32 or 6/36?

That 666K a year AAV difference gets you approximately one Chris Stewart, so yes.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Personally, I am just glad that we are likely to sign Sanheim to a long term deal and with that bridge deal, it means we could have Sanheim on out team for a longer length of time.

23 this year
24 next year
starts his next deal at 25

6 year deal means he will be a UFA at age 31...and at that point, you might just decide it's better to move on than sign him to a big UFA deal for his 31-35/36 year old years. Let someone else take the risk. Ideally, I try and push for a 7 or 8 year deal even at more money as then for sure, you make the decision to not re-sign him as a UFA and even possibly look to trade him with 1-2 years left depending where the team is in development of the young D they draft the next half decade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad