Confirmed with Link: Travis Konecny Signs Extension - 6 Years/$33M ($5.5M AAV)

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Lindblom - Patrick - Voracek were one of the best lines in the NHL the 2nd half of the 17-18 season and Jake was a big reason why. He can definitely carry a line.

Off the top of my head, they were in the neighborhood of a 55 xGF% at 5v5, which is about the same as the Flyers generated with both Couturier and Giroux on the ice together last year.

Insert sample size caveat here.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
Lindblom - Patrick - Voracek were one of the best lines in the NHL the 2nd half of the 17-18 season and Jake was a big reason why. He can definitely carry a line.
No doubt Jake was big reason why, but don't discredit Lindblom, and that's not to say you specifically did. Lindblom and Jake together will prop up most centers.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Resorting to strawmen and personal attacks, nice. I'm not triggered at all. It's actually been humorous to watch you look like a cartoon character trying backpedal out of your comment because your own logic would have forced you to recognize that a player you are clearly biased against should be rewarded for his good play.

A+ for effort, though.
LOL. You call my opinion about line 1 RW “not justifiable,” I give reasons it is justifiable & call it a difference of opinion..... then you try to turn my Voracek opinion into a Gostisbehere debate (want to talk about flawed logic....) I’m not seeing this alleged tolerance. I’m seeing Truly bizarre, obsessive-fanboyish behavior.

Magua

Doer of Hoffific Things
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I think most people misinterpret "carrying a line." There is a short list of players in the NHL who can truly elevate mediocrity -- or not even scrubs but flawed complimentary players -- and generate positive results. Giroux couldn't even do it last year with JVR and Konecny. The Flyers have one named Couturier.

What Voracek can do is semi-consistently manufacture offensive out of thin air, totally independent of linemates. He can take the detailed all-around games of certain players -- Lindblom or Patrick or Hayes now or whoever -- and punch it up. To specify, he can carry a line offensively in chance creating, especially off transition. Flyers don't have a ton of those, most lines need one.

prototypical4thliner

Jan 12, 2017
I think most people misinterpret "carrying a line." There is a short list of players in the NHL who can truly elevate mediocrity -- or not even scrubs but flawed complimentary players -- and generate positive results. Giroux couldn't even do it last year with JVR and Konecny. The Flyers have one named Couturier.

What Voracek can do is semi-consistently manufacture offensive out of thin air, totally independent of linemates. He can take the detailed all-around games of certain players -- Lindblom or Patrick or Hayes now or whoever -- and punch it up. To specify, he can carry a line offensively in chance creating, especially off transition. Flyers don't have a ton of those, most lines need one.
Maybe carry is the wrong word choice. Puck dominant players? The old NHL circa 2005-10 “playmaker” label?

We’re getting into a nice spot where there isn’t slop to fill out the middle six let alone the forth line. For example, Crosby and malkin consistently carried some abjectly bad wingers. What we need is someone who can orchestrate the offense. Couturier is spectacular at this. Giroux is bordering on great but is limited. I think voracek and Hayes are both above average as well. It does make sense to spread that wealth.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Lindblom doesn't carry a line, but he's the perfect "glue" guy for a line, play both sides, do the dirty work from fighting for the puck in the corner to setting screens in front of the net and getting back consistently on defense. Lindblom produces in any situation, however, his scoring is linemate dependent because he's not a one on one guy.

There are only a handful of guys, like Magua says, who can carry a line, otherwise you're looking for three guys with complementary skills and chemistry.

Reactions: onlylordsvsmorebp

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
a)That pair was extremely good at the defensive side of things as well. Ghost actually had the better defensive metrics that year as well, if im not mistaken. But hey, why let a little bias ruin the conversation?
b) This makes no sense, because when Provorov and Ghost were together, they were handling the hardest matchups, and consistently outproducing the other team.
c) G-Couturier-Voracek was hot garbage at times as well, yet you seem awfully interested in reuniting that and giving it another shot. G-Couturier- TK was an incredible line at one point as well.

As usual, this reeks of complete bias.
I love when people say that the Provorov-Ghost pairing wouldn't work this season because it was bad last year... intentionally ignoring that it was only tried for 9 TOTAL GAMES, when both players were individually playing below their usual level and continued to play that way for a little bit after being split up :laugh: It's just pure ignorance and bias.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I love when people say that the Provorov-Ghost pairing wouldn't work this season because it was bad last year... intentionally ignoring that it was only tried for 9 TOTAL GAMES, when both players were individually playing below their usual level and continued to play that way for a little bit after being split up :laugh: It's just pure ignorance and bias.

Yeah. I think I just struggle with the idea of disliking someone I dont even know so much, that in one breath I would say 2+2=4, and in the next, I'd say it equals zero. Its just a weird state of mind to me.

Reactions: Striiker

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Under Hak last year: 31 games, 13 points, -18
Under Gord last year: 47 games, 24 points, -2

;)

He was on pace for 30 ES points under Gordon last year. He had a career high 32 ES points the year before that. So this MYTH that Ghost was awful ALL last year is just that...a myth. He had a bad 2 months to start the season....and the rest was the PP not doing what it usually had done in years past. And we know coaching screwed with that because it was not just Ghost who was affected....G and Jake were too.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Yeah. I think I just struggle with the idea of disliking someone I dont even know so much, that in one breath I would say 2+2=4, and in the next, I'd say it equals zero. Its just a weird state of mind to me.
Yeah, the lying and the contradictions are the problem and exactly why a real conversation is impossible. It proves that it's not just an honest disagreement of opinion, it's something specific about the player that they hate, separate from logic and on-ice play.

Which is especially confusing because Ghost is a star player when healthy and on his game... so it's not a rational hate. Compare that to the player I hate... Hagg, which is 100% backed up by his on ice failures.

Last edited:
Reactions: Starat327

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Under Hak last year: 31 games, 13 points, -18
Under Gord last year: 47 games, 24 points, -2

;)

He was on pace for 30 ES points under Gordon last year. He had a career high 32 ES points the year before that. So this MYTH that Ghost was awful ALL last year is just that...a myth. He had a bad 2 months to start the season....and the rest was the PP not doing what it usually had done in years past. And we know coaching screwed with that because it was not just Ghost who was affected....G and Jake were too.

Exactly. I've said it before: if the PP wasn't sabotaged last year this negative narrative about Ghosts play doesn't exist because it's an exaggeration based on low scoring. I think it was Appleyard who posted stats saying that he was just as good defensively, if not better than last year, and that it was just his scoring that was lower.

He did legitimately have a poor start to the year, but after that he picked it up considerably, even in spite of trash usage, a sabotaged PP, poor partners, and getting injured by blocking a puck early in the year. Unfortunately by that point the narrative was already rolling so every single mistake was just confirmation bias for the complainers.

That's why I want that Provorov-Ghost pair to be tried again so desperately... we saw what they could do and a fluke start to last year doesn't negate everything before that. There's so much potential that's being wasted, kind of like if Giroux+Couturier struggle for like 5 games to start this year, get separated, and are then never re-united...

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia

I think its unfair to say Giroux couldn't elevate the play of JVR and TK. Clearly JVR last year was never able to to come back to form after his injury. He was a liability all over the ice, with really only one noticeable attribute. Giroux basically had to play 3rd dman with those two who are particularly ineffective in their own zone. We all know how excellent Giroux is in his own zone.

Coots on the other hand can rely on giroux's defense which allows him to take more chances on offense, and vice versa. I think If JVR was centered by Couturier last year, you would see the same struggles.

IN regards to voracek, what he does is controlled zone entry. No team in the NHL relies as heavily as the flyers do on just two players for controlled zone entry. On the flyers that is invaluable.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Coots on the other hand can rely on giroux's defense which allows him to take more chances on offense, and vice versa. I think If JVR was centered by Couturier last year, you would see the same struggles.

IN regards to voracek, what he does is controlled zone entry. No team in the NHL relies as heavily as the flyers do on just two players for controlled zone entry. On the flyers that is invaluable.

JVR struggled the first half but was close to 100% when paired with Giroux.
Face it, Giroux's playing center days are over, he's a 3C these days, but still a 1LW.

And Couts doesn't rely on Giroux's defense - who is the perenniel Selke candidate?

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
I think JVR was basically playing on one foot until like the last two weeks of the season, when he started taking over some games and being the possession monster he used to be in Toronto.

I really don't think playing LW has mattered that much for Giroux -- he seems to play the same game there as he did at center. Playing with Coots has been a big difference for both of them, and Coots is now the better player.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
JVR was awful from when he returned from the injury in late November until early January. But he had a way better 2nd half than he’s getting credit for.

Tied for 7th in the NHL in goals from Jan. 1 to the end of the season (22 in 44 games).

Tied for 6th in even strength goals with 16.

That’s nothing to sneeze at.

He looks to be in better shape & quicker this year, & he needed to be because his backchecking was a weakness.

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA

Jake can do things when he has other linemates that can actually grind and possess the puck comfortably. Too many times in the past have I seen him do some incredible board work only for the inevitable pass to result in some garbage shot because someone panicked.

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Well, part of the problem is Jake at times tries to do too much, and his teammates end up standing around watching him.
Sorta like the PG in basketball who dribbles around for 20 seconds then throws up a shot with 2 seconds on the shot clock.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
This was a couple or so days ago at a local hospital with some jockeys from Delaware Park race track. Konecny's jersey hangs next to that of Lemieux. It was a fundraiser for children with cancer.

DEL-jockeys-hospital-2019.jpg

AdamParrot

Mar 10, 2015
3 goals, 5 points after 2 games.
Not bad, right?

Keep that way, TK!

I hope that he will score at least 60 points this season. It would be great!

Reactions: Amorgus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->