Confirmed with Link: Canucks re-sign HC Travis Green to multi-year extension.

Why do Green and his staff not have an extension?

• Total voters

hookshott

Dec 13, 2016
Just listen to Green in the next interview and see if he says anything of significance.....he never does!

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
The owners cannot be pleased with the power play going on in the media. Every time one of these statements, fan favourite statements like "I'd like to bring Tryamkin back", a Benning statement or "I would like to sign Green", "I like Green" is a challenge to what may be happening in the back rooms.

IMO the owners are waiting until the season is over so they aren't firing anyone, just not taking up an option.

Green is up to the next GM.

Aquilini being cheap? He has given Benning everything, every dime he wanted. In 7 years he has supplied over 800 million dollars for Benning.
Is it fair that the owners should have to pay another 50 million to correct Benning's mistakes and erratic spending habits? To pay players to NOT PLAY?

And what makes Green so great? I am not saying he is a bad coach but what has he won? The team would have to go to the playoffs a few times so the COACH can learn how to win the show so another 2 years of excuses.

A genius GM could alter this team considerably

The owners have given more money than some cup winners and real playoff contenders.

Last edited:

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
where does green end up if he does leave vancouver.? i see a few teams interested. maybe one of the california teams. anahiem? arizona

TraderJim

Um.. like.. you know
Apr 18, 2006
If he wants money I’m not sure he’s gonna get it there unless he wants to be paid in stadium hot dogs.
I personally don't think he will have a lot of options despite the local medias insistence. The only teams who will want him are ones that are trying to save money by hiring an "experienced" coach who doesn't have the resume to ask or demand anything.

Reactions: Zippgunn

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I personally don't think he will have a lot of options despite the local medias insistence. The only teams who will want him are ones that are trying to save money by hiring an "experienced" coach who doesn't have the resume to ask or demand anything.
Right now I doubt Seattle is waiting on Green. NYR likely seeking a bigger name. AZ is probably the one most likely to consider him. I think CBS would as well.

see if any changes are made in other non playoff teams. Sure the nhl would prefer these teams to decide before the playoffs begin like for teams like anaheim, Chicago, if they are considering it.

hookshott

Dec 13, 2016
iMac putting the screws into ownership for leaving Green twisting in the wind..
Canucks taking risk with Green despite steering ship through turbulent year
Who pays iMac's salary....he is sickening? What makes Green so great....what has he done in 4 years. Willie was let go after 3...has Green been any better? If we were in another market, what would we think of Green (for example....what do we think of Quinn or Tocchet who have just been let go? Do we say....yeh, he really hasn't done anything with that team?)

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
on the main board a ducks fan thinks green is going to anaheim as he was shortlisted by them for the gig a while back and ducks fans think eakins is toast.

given green's family is there, that makes perfect sense to me, and would explain the lack of drama about this. they would never officially announce he is going to another team if that was the polite agreement. they would do exactly this and be very polite and low key and vague and the media would be told not to ask hard questions.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Who pays iMac's salary....he is sickening? What makes Green so great....what has he done in 4 years. Willie was let go after 3...has Green been any better? If we were in another market, what would we think of Green (for example....what do we think of Quinn or Tocchet who have just been let go? Do we say....yeh, he really hasn't done anything with that team?)

"According to Ferraro, this isn’t an area to pinch pennies. The former NHLer and long-time analyst was effusive in his praise for Green’s work with the Canucks.
“Where are you finding a better coach? Look at this roster over the last couple of years and can you say this team hasn’t improved? Or that this team’s younger players haven’t always competed? I think they out-kick their coverage all the time,” said Ferraro. “I think he’s a very, very good NHL coach and if he’s not employed here, he won’t be unemployed very long.”
Green’s willingness to put young players in a position to succeed deserves praise.
Not every NHL coach would have put Elias Pettersson at centre in his rookie season, particularly after he played on the wing in Sweden the previous year. Not every NHL coach would have matched Quinn Hughes against Connor McDavid in the first game of his rookie season, challenging him be that number one defenceman the team needed.
This season, he put Nils Höglander in the team’s top-six on the first day of training camp and kept him there all season despite some growing pains along the way.
Green is also well-liked by his players. Travis Hamonic, completely unprompted, praised Green in a recent post-game interview.
“When I take a look at myself personally and how much I've enjoyed playing the game this year surrounded by this group of guys and especially under Greener,” said Hamonic. “He's a really good coach in my opinion and he's let me have a role and I've been able to run with it.”..Dan Wagner.

Reactions: Regular David Bruce

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
"According to Ferraro, this isn’t an area to pinch pennies. The former NHLer and long-time analyst was effusive in his praise for Green’s work with the Canucks.
“Where are you finding a better coach? Look at this roster over the last couple of years and can you say this team hasn’t improved? Or that this team’s younger players haven’t always competed? I think they out-kick their coverage all the time,” said Ferraro. “I think he’s a very, very good NHL coach and if he’s not employed here, he won’t be unemployed very long.”
Green’s willingness to put young players in a position to succeed deserves praise.
Not every NHL coach would have put Elias Pettersson at centre in his rookie season, particularly after he played on the wing in Sweden the previous year. Not every NHL coach would have matched Quinn Hughes against Connor McDavid in the first game of his rookie season, challenging him be that number one defenceman the team needed.
This season, he put Nils Höglander in the team’s top-six on the first day of training camp and kept him there all season despite some growing pains along the way.
Green is also well-liked by his players. Travis Hamonic, completely unprompted, praised Green in a recent post-game interview.
“When I take a look at myself personally and how much I've enjoyed playing the game this year surrounded by this group of guys and especially under Greener,” said Hamonic. “He's a really good coach in my opinion and he's let me have a role and I've been able to run with it.”..Dan Wagner.

I think a big part of the media's strong feelings on this right now is the poor communication around the situation. Green has been an employee of the organization for many years, and is essentially being left twisting in the wind in a very public, uncomfortable fashion. For a guy who - whatever his foibles as a coach - seems well liked by his peers, players, and the local media, that's going to cause a firestorm. It's not a good look on the Canucks.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I think a big part of the media's strong feelings on this right now is the poor communication around the situation. Green has been an employee of the organization for many years, and is essentially being left twisting in the wind in a very public, uncomfortable fashion. For a guy who - whatever his foibles as a coach - seems well liked by his peers, players, and the local media, that's going to cause a firestorm. It's not a good look on the Canucks.
Its not...makes the owner look like an asshole.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
The owners cannot be pleased with the power play going on in the media. Every time one of these statements, fan favourite statements like "I'd like to bring Tryamkin back", a Benning statement or "I would like to sign Green", "I like Green" is a challenge to what may be happening in the back rooms.

IMO the owners are waiting until the season is over so they aren't firing anyone, just not taking up an option.

Green is up to the next GM.

Aquilini being cheap? He has given Benning everything, every dime he wanted. In 7 years he has supplied over 800 million dollars for Benning.
Is it fair that the owners should have to pay another 50 million to correct Benning's mistakes and erratic spending habits? To pay players to NOT PLAY?

And what makes Green so great? I am not saying he is a bad coach but what has he won? The team would have to go to the playoffs a few times so the COACH can learn how to win the show so another 2 years of excuses.

A genius GM could alter this team considerably

The owners have given more money than some cup winners and real playoff contenders.
That isn't the owner's money.

It's the fans who buy merch and products advertised on Roger's/ 650.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I think that Green twisting in the breeze has nothing to do with the money, at least for him.

I sense it has more to do with Benning....and whether the owner is willing to swallow the last two years of his contract, to make a change. It would be the best investment he could make.

If Green bolts, there are a dozen coaching options out there.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I think that Green twisting in the breeze has nothing to do with the money, at least for him.

I sense it has more to do with Benning....and whether the owner is willing to swallow the last two years of his contract, to make a change. It would be the best investment he could make.

If Green bolts, there are a dozen coaching options out there.
So a year from now, with how this team is constructed, I doubt they make the playoffs next season.

so then Aquaman would have Benning for 1 more year and Green and co for 2 on the books if green gets a 3 year extension?

would think swallowing 2 years of Benning is better than 1 year of Benning and 2 years of coaching salaries from a financial POV.

Plus Benning is a hockey lifer so he would look for a AGM or Director of Scouting job ASAP rather than sit back and collect 2 years of pay. He is not like Gillis in having other options available to him to take on outside hockey.

so moving off Benning should cost around 70% of the amount owed to him if he got another job by the 22-23 season as he would take a pay cut down in job title. Maybe down to 50% if he find another job in the off season.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
on the main board a ducks fan thinks green is going to anaheim as he was shortlisted by them for the gig a while back and ducks fans think eakins is toast.

given green's family is there, that makes perfect sense to me, and would explain the lack of drama about this. they would never officially announce he is going to another team if that was the polite agreement. they would do exactly this and be very polite and low key and vague and the media would be told not to ask hard questions.

Interesting conspiracy theory, 'Nut. All evidence seems to point towards ownership being too cheap and/or hiring a new GM to make the call.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Interesting conspiracy theory, 'Nut. All evidence seems to point towards ownership being too cheap and/or hiring a new GM to make the call.
Anaheim could also change GM. Bob Murray let this club go downhill since their WCF vs Nashville in 2017. 3 straight seasons without playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->