Confirmed with Link: Canucks re-sign HC Travis Green to multi-year extension.

Why do Green and his staff not have an extension?

• Total voters

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Why doesn’t he have an extension in place? Does Benning not trust him? Is Aquilini being cheap? Is ownership planning to fire Benning and give their new management team the chance to find their own coach?

What gives?

update:

Last edited:
Reactions: David71

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
When there’s a big season ticket sales push FA will fire one group and hire another in hopes to stimulate excitement and seek more seats.

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
I feel like Benning doesnt currently have a plan for the coaching. While I did vote for "he wants to move on from him", it's probably more accurate that he hasnt extended because he isnt sure but also doesnt have a plan for next season either. Ultimately we cant know if Aquilini is being cheap or Green is liked or disliked by management (though Aquilinis tweets do suggest he likes the way the team plays). Who knows?

I'm more surprised they havent extended Ian Clark given that it's far more clear that hes been effective at his job.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
I think Aquilini wants to keep Green and Benning, but doesn't want to commit because he's scared he's going to have to fire them in summer due to fan reaction, and he doesn't want to be on the hook for their salaries.

I think Benning gets fired earlier this season if not for financial reasons and will be gone in summer if fans keep the pressure up, not letting Aquilini slither onwards with the same crew.

So in summary, he's cheap.

hookshott

Dec 13, 2016
It is Travis that does not want to sign as he has a better situation (better management and ownership, as well as likely more money than he is presently making) available to him at the end of the season (either Anaheim or Seattle). Personally, I don't see him as god's gift to coaching so would have no trouble with him leaving. Of course, if Benning is still in charge (please, please, do no let this be the case!) I would be concerned as to who would take over the reins at that time.

Reactions: Indiana

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
It is Travis that does not want to sign as he has a better situation (better management and ownership, as well as likely more money than he is presently making) available to him at the end of the season (either Anaheim or Seattle). Personally, I don't see him as god's gift to coaching so would have no trouble with him leaving. Of course, if Benning is still in charge (please, please, do no let this be the case!) I would be concerned as to who would take over the reins at that time.

I seriously doubt that any other team is going to covet Green after his dismal record here with us however if he does sign with Anaheim I would be down with that because they deserve each other...

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
It's looking like Benning may survive the axe and that Green is his sacrificial goat to do so.
How many of these does he get?

Get_out_of_jail_free.jpg

Reactions: Indiana

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
green seems genuinely unconcerned. certainly not angry.

so i think benning has told him if he survives then green survives.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I think the future of Travis Green simply hasn't been decided.

If the team goes on some miracle run in the next month and actually makes the playoffs, and then wins a round or two, he's probably back.

Otherwise there's likely going to be a coaching change.

JiffyPB

Oct 11, 2018
Benning doesn't know, because Aquilini hasn't decided yet.

This. Green has showed he is at least an average coach that can get the team somewhere if he has a decent roster. He's not the ceiling on the team at this point even if people get mad at him and some of his coaching tics. Unless they are getting a big boy upgrade like Babs, which is unlikely due to reports that the owner isn't exactly willing to open the wallet for a premium coach like that, I don't see why he hasn't had any contract talks. Someone has to coach next year.

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
Other: This managament group is taking things day by day.
Green has contract today, and he's signed through tomorrow.

Reactions: Zippgunn

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Here's my tinfoil hat theory: the team is on the verge of bankruptcy.

That's why a new president wasn't hired, why they have been cheap with the coaches, why they keep going for it when they should be rebuilding. FA can't afford to rebuild! He's going to lose the team soon if they don't make the playoffs and COVID has just accelerated the process. They are a cap ceiling team that can't push merchandise. That's why he handed that idiotic deal to TP, he's not planning to be around for year 3 of that deal. His antagonism of the fans has further fueled the death-spiral. Who follows this team anymore? I don't know about you, but I've completely tuned out.

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019

That's why a new president wasn't hired, why they have been cheap with the coaches, why they keep going for it when they should be rebuilding. FA can't afford to rebuild! He's going to lose the team soon if they don't make the playoffs and COVID has just accelerated the process. They are a cap ceiling team that can't push merchandise. That's why he handed that idiotic deal to TP, he's not planning to be around for year 3 of that deal. His antagonism of the fans has further fueled the death-spiral. Who follows this team anymore? I don't know about you, but I've completely tuned out.

That's definitely a very unique take. I dont think the team is new to being cheap with coaching though. Other than Torts, every coach in the past 15 years (since Crow) has been an AHL coach. Outside of Vigneaults uneventful 3 years in Montreal, none of them had any NHL experience. Definitely one area the Aquilinis have never been willing to spend, even when times were great. That said, Vigneault was awesome.

If I remember correctly, the team did the same thing with Desjardins. They didnt re-sign him or fire him, they just let him walk in the offseason. I think some other posters have hit it on the head though, Benning just hasnt made a decision yet. Perhaps waiting on how the remainder of the season goes. If they somehow play out of their minds and make it then Green deserves the contract, if they choke and get a good draft lottery position then its a good time to bring in an experienced coach (hopefully).

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Benning doesn't know, because Aquilini hasn't decided yet.

It's possible that Aquilini wasn't ready to commit to Green and Benning has been fighting for Green to be extended. A similar scenario played out with Gillis and AV. Gillis basically tied his extension (which at the time Aquilini wanted to do) with AV's extension.

Rationally speaking, but for the playin/playoffs how many of us would be willing to extend Green for another 2-3 years? The culture of not having coach and management enter the final year of their contracts is not financially prudent since you're constantly letting go of guys with term on their contracts that you have pay. It's not uncommon for owners to have even 3 head coaches on the payroll at one time.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017

As someone that knows you are wrong, you are wrong

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
I think Aquilini would like him to stay, but not for the amount that Green is asking.

I think Green would like to stay, but not for the amount that Aquilini is offering.

Reactions: Fedz

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
That's definitely a very unique take. I dont think the team is new to being cheap with coaching though. Other than Torts, every coach in the past 15 years (since Crow) has been an AHL coach. Outside of Vigneaults uneventful 3 years in Montreal, none of them had any NHL experience. Definitely one area the Aquilinis have never been willing to spend, even when times were great. That said, Vigneault was awesome.

If I remember correctly, the team did the same thing with Desjardins. They didnt re-sign him or fire him, they just let him walk in the offseason. I think some other posters have hit it on the head though, Benning just hasnt made a decision yet. Perhaps waiting on how the remainder of the season goes. If they somehow play out of their minds and make it then Green deserves the contract, if they choke and get a good draft lottery position then its a good time to bring in an experienced coach (hopefully).

I just think it's a cost-cutting move in a season where they have been bludgeoned and spilling red ink everywhere. Their legal troubles with the berry farm operations sure as heck didn't help either. What's the point in hiring a new coach when your odds at the playoffs are slim, the odds of winning a round are virtually zero and you are losing 10's of millions of dollars? Is FA's real estate business really booming that hard in a COVID economy? I'd keep an eye on the situation, I wouldn't be surprised if he is forced to sell, especially when Seattle comes in and eats his lunch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->