GDT: Travis Green Press Conference | 11:00 am | tsn 1040 | canucks.com

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Being a Canucks fan is exhausting at times. I certainly don't hope for Green to fail but honestly I see this as being a painfully mediocre hiring which is somewhat worse than just doing stupid things.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
This thread has become a bit of a cesspool, I'm afraid.

Trevor Linden telling a story about Benning really being keen on Green does not equal Linden throwing Benning "under the bus."

Linden tacitly acknowledging that his refusal to say the word "rebuild" has become an issue is not evidence of extreme condescension on his part. It has become an issue, so he's acknowledging it. Simple as that.

Green getting four years is not evidence of management incompetence (there are other real examples of that). Four years is a completely standard term and any less would compromise Green's ability to develop the youth. It makes perfect sense.

I'm all for criticizing these bozos when it's due, but slipping the chain and going mad dog on every small utterance, anecdote, or simple run-of-the-mill decision is silly. There are a few people here looking to use any ammunition to confirm their pre-existing biases, I believe, and in the process are getting a warped picture of what is actually going on here.

Agreed about your 2nd and 3rd points, but not your first. That was a very odd thing to say and not unlike some of the quotes Linden was dropping about Willie Desjardins in the last few months of the season. Beyond that this management group has telegraphed everything they've done from a mile away and it's worth considering.

By the way - what was the term on Benning's initial contract? If it was 4 years...has he been extended? Or is he in a lame-duck situation?

BloatedGuppy

Jun 29, 2007
Vancouver
There are a few people here looking to use any ammunition to confirm their pre-existing biases, I believe, and in the process are getting a warped picture of what is actually going on here.

Standard consequences of an echo chamber. Pointing it out won't change anything though.

Tinhorn1

Aug 7, 2007
Agreed about your 2nd and 3rd points, but not your first. That was a very odd thing to say and not unlike some of the quotes Linden was dropping about Willie Desjardins in the last few months of the season. Beyond that this management group has telegraphed everything they've done from a mile away and it's worth considering.

By the way - what was the term on Benning's initial contract? If it was 4 years...has he been extended? Or is he in a lame-duck situation?

If you actually heard him say it, he did so in his "Let me tell you a great story" voice, similar to how he used to speak glowingly about Benning really "getting things done" at his first draft here. It's nothing, in my opinion, but I can only draw on my experience of being a human and interacting with people, so I may be wrong.

Good question re: Benning's contract.

Tinhorn1

Aug 7, 2007
Standard consequences of an echo chamber. Pointing it out won't change anything though.

Sad and true. Everything is becoming like that, and it worries me. People have to learn to step back and second-guess themselves or we will have a lot more Donald Trumps.

Anyways...

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Turns out Travis Green is something of a poker superstar in his free time? http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/ts-hiring-travis-green-right-call-vancouver/

$345K in career earnings is nothing to sneeze at. Luongo, I believe, is around the $25K mark.

For me, this is a huge plus. A lot of smart sports analytics guys got their start in poker. Sunny Mehta, the Devils director of analytics (and one of the very first hockey analytics bloggers) was a professional poker player first. Nate Silver too. There are other examples.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
Turns out Travis Green is something of a poker superstar in his free time? http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/ts-hiring-travis-green-right-call-vancouver/

$345K in career earnings is nothing to sneeze at. Luongo, I believe, is around the $25K mark.

For me, this is a huge plus. A lot of smart sports analytics guys got their start in poker. Sunny Mehta, the Devils director of analytics (and one of the very first hockey analytics bloggers) was a professional poker player first. Nate Silver too. There are other examples.

If only he could teach benning how to play poker with other gms rather than showing everyone his cards.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
This thread has become a bit of a cesspool, I'm afraid.

Trevor Linden telling a story about Benning really being keen on Green does not equal Linden throwing Benning "under the bus."

Linden tacitly acknowledging that his refusal to say the word "rebuild" has become an issue is not evidence of extreme condescension on his part. It has become an issue, so he's acknowledging it. Simple as that.

Green getting four years is not evidence of management incompetence (there are other real examples of that). Four years is a completely standard term and any less would compromise Green's ability to develop the youth. It makes perfect sense.

I'm all for criticizing these bozos when it's due, but slipping the chain and going mad dog on every small utterance, anecdote, or simple run-of-the-mill decision is silly. There are a few people here looking to use any ammunition to confirm their pre-existing biases, I believe, and in the process are getting a warped picture of what is actually going on here.

well said.:handclap:

I have already gone on record as saying i'm not a huge Green fan but if his opening press conference is any indication i think he just might change my mind in short order. Was really impressed with his answers and the messages he delivered. Very well spoken which is a breath of fresh air.

Also really happy to hear about how much preparation he puts into things and Bad Goalie has outlined over the past few years how good and up tempo his practices are....(although the Canucks travel schedule may make this a bit of an issue.)

As far as the due diligence interview thing.....i'm not hung up on it. If you know what you wan't and have confidence in your decision why wait?......things can change quickly in the sporting world and Green was either their guy or after they hired someone else he would have been gone this summer.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...

Tom Vu has made $1.8 million in that profession (poker). Yes, THAT Tom Vu:

:sarcasm:

There are a few people here looking to use any ammunition to confirm their pre-existing biases, I believe, and in the process are getting a warped picture of what is actually going on here.

True - but it hardly helps when it's often Benning & co. themselves supplying said ammunition....

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014

Well if nothing else, we'll have a true 'poker face' behind the bench....will make an interesting contrast with Willie, who at times looked like he was involved in a re-make of the movie "Snakes on Planes".

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton

Hopefully this means that with an NHL budget he'll deploy analytics in his coaching (as in, pay attention to the fact that Brandon Sutter is an offensive blackhole). Definitely a positive.

Between this and someone else bringing up the fact that he was actually a Gillis hire, I'm cautiously optimistic about this hire.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
So controversial statement here, well more of a question I think.

At what point does Trevor Linden become more hated then Mark Messier? I mean Trevor has 94, and being captain here, but Mark killed this team and was a leach for 3 years, and Trevor is now at the same point. How much farther does his good will go?

I know the casuals may never turn, but the fans who are screaming every time he steps up to the mic, how much longer do you let him go?
I don't think he's in danger of that, personally. He's revealed himself to have less integrity/backbone than we originally thought, but even at his worst, he's not a complete ill-intention-ed, egotistical ****-hole like Messier is.

That would be a better question if Weisbrod was president for an extended period of time, IMO. I shudder at the thought of that.

Toxic0n

We are all mumps
Dec 10, 2008
Tank nation
Poll results as of right now:
Yes - 40%
No - 10%
On the fence 50% (!)

Select few posters - "omg there is so much negativity, give Travis a chance" :laugh: Those 10% must be posting a lot.

Tinhorn1

Aug 7, 2007
Poll results as of right now:
Yes - 40%
No - 10%
On the fence 50% (!)

Select few posters - "omg there is so much negativity, give Travis a chance" :laugh: Those 10% must be posting a lot.

Seems like the thread has become as much about Benning and Linden as about Green. Anyway, yes, people can post whatever they like, Mr. Toxic.

KeninsFan

Fire Benning already
Feb 6, 2012
Seems like the thread has become as much about Benning and Linden as about Green. Anyway, yes, people can post whatever they like, Mr. Toxic.

The negative halo effect that Benning has is directly influencing people's outlooks on Green.

Rightfully so - even if Travis Green proves to be Scotty Bowman v2 he'll still be leading a roster built by the management team. Green's performance is going to be negatively impacted if he's coaching a roster devoid of depth just like Utica this past season.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
Every coach, to some extent, has favorites and players that that are always in their dog house.

• Willie Desjardins had an absolute chubby for high motor, hard working, low skill forwards like Derrick Dorsett and Jayson Megna, but misused players like Vrbata. He benched Goldobin after scoring in his first game and refused to play Boucher until he had no options left. Willie also didn't trust Lack so Benning traded him, then rode Miller over Markstrom right to the bitter end.
  • Alain Vigneault also loved his grinders (Rome, Glass, etc.) but not to the extent that he put them on the Sedin line or out on the ice when trailing in the last minute of play (although there was the period in 2007-08 where he had Byron Ritchie regularly on the PP).
  • Tortorella rode the hell out of Kesler and the Sedins, but somehow couldn't find a role for Hansen or Weisse. He also played Lack over Luongo in the Herritage Classic.

I wonder who Green's favourites and dog house candidates are?

I'm going to guess that Gaunce gets more of a shot and after Goldobin came down to Utica and lit up the scoreboard in the late season push, he probably gets a bit more of a chance. I wonder what this means for Jordan Subban. With the loss of Tryamkin and likely Sbisa (expansion) there will likely be a spot up for grabs on the blue line. He knows Baertschi from Portland and Sven had a similar impact to Goldy in his brief appearance in Utica.

Doghouse candidates? It's hard to guess because we don't yet know what Green wants out of each player.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Every coach, to some extent, has favorites and players that that are always in their dog house.

• Willie Desjardins had an absolute chubby for high motor, hard working, low skill forwards like Derrick Dorsett and Jayson Megna, but misused players like Vrbata. He benched Goldobin after scoring in his first game and refused to play Boucher until he had no options left. Willie also didn't trust Lack so Benning traded him, then rode Miller over Markstrom right to the bitter end.
  • Alain Vigneault also loved his grinders (Rome, Glass, etc.) but not to the extent that he put them on the Sedin line or out on the ice when trailing in the last minute of play (although there was the period in 2007-08 where he had Byron Ritchie regularly on the PP).
  • Tortorella rode the hell out of Kesler and the Sedins, but somehow couldn't find a role for Hansen or Weisse. He also played Lack over Luongo in the Herritage Classic.

I wonder who Green's favourites and dog house candidates are?

I'm going to guess that Gaunce gets more of a shot and after Goldobin came down to Utica and lit up the scoreboard in the late season push, he probably gets a bit more of a chance. I wonder what this means for Jordan Subban. With the loss of Tryamkin and likely Sbisa (expansion) there will likely be a spot up for grabs on the blue line. He knows Baertschi from Portland and Sven had a similar impact to Goldy in his brief appearance in Utica.

Doghouse candidates? It's hard to guess because we don't yet know what Green wants out of each player.

Not wanting to throw the previous guy under the bus, but Green said more in one presser and was more direct and clear about what he expects, than three years of Willie combined.

Of course players will end up in Green's doghouse....happens to every team....but Green's track record in Utica is that the guy would sit out one game, then be right back at it the next night.....this contrasts with Willie...once a guy ended up in the doghouse it was on to the pressbox for an extended stay, and only an injury would ever liberate him.

DanCloutiersFiveHole

Sep 19, 2014
Vancouver
Doesn't seem like a bad hire, and at this stage there's not a huge amount of risk. I just hope that we'll see player development be properly assessed at the end of the year.

Under a management group with a proven track record, the due diligence thing isn't a problem. Under these guys, it's concerning. Seems to be no recognition of their own shortcomings.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
So controversial statement here, well more of a question I think.

At what point does Trevor Linden become more hated then Mark Messier? I mean Trevor has 94, and being captain here, but Mark killed this team and was a leach for 3 years, and Trevor is now at the same point. How much farther does his good will go?

I know the casuals may never turn, but the fans who are screaming every time he steps up to the mic, how much longer do you let him go?

how about never.

trevor has 88 to 94 as years of greatness. that was the first time this team was ever good and he sparked and led the team through every moment of that transition. he then played the greatest game any canuck ever played and took us closer than we have ever been to the cup.

comparing him to messier is a ridiculous insult and shows how little you know about the history of this club or the game.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
Not wanting to throw the previous guy under the bus, but Green said more in one presser and was more direct and clear about what he expects, than three years of Willie combined.

Of course players will end up in Green's doghouse....happens to every team....but Green's track record in Utica is that the guy would sit out one game, then be right back at it the next night.....this contrasts with Willie...once a guy ended up in the doghouse it was on to the pressbox for an extended stay, and only an injury would ever liberate him.

That would certainly be a refreshing change.

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
It would have been hard pressed to find a NHL established, competent coach to take this job (assuming Linden even tried to find one). The roster, combined with the expectation to win, and Benning thinking this is approaching an elite team starting next season, can only cross good (and legit NHL coach) names off the list. There are more attractive jobs to someone who has NHL job choices.

I expected Green, Marc Crawford, or Dallas Eakins. In this regard, I am pleased with the Green hire. To me, just put any warm body in there... and I'd rather have Green than Crawford or Eakins. Going to be a high pick next season, and bottom of league results, regardless of the coach. May as well be Green.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->