Travis Dermott

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Have to disagree. Dermott lacks Borgman's size and he lacks Rosen's skill.

However, at the moment Dermott is a solid NHL player.
He's the same size as Borgman, both listed at 6'.

Rosen skates better, handles the puck worse.

bigdogsnipedaddy

Mar 2, 2012
Button touted Neilson as the top Dman prospect for the Leafs at the start of last season. I firmly believe he has opinions just to stir some discussion; or he doesn’t know what he is talking about and out of an NHL job.

Reactions: kb and saltming

Einzakin

Jan 20, 2011

Dermott's overall skill is much higher than Rosen. Skating is comparable. Don't really see how one would think different.

Reactions: Northernguy10

Northernguy10

May 26, 2013
Timmins Ontario
I've been a Dermott fan since his junior days.I tuned in to watch McDavid and came away always noticing this "other guy" which was Dermott...He's developing very well and has some qualities beyond his skill those being his feistiness and ability to gamble and either not get caught or get back in time due to his speed. I see him being groomed to replace Gardner next year or possibly before this year's trade deadline. I see Rosen moving up to replace him on the 3rd pair possibly with Liljegren...With Sandin coming the year after, in my opinion (he has to get bigger and stronger) we're looking at a bright future with our D corps...Hopefully all of them develop on schedule because we're going to need relatively inexpensive players for a while with our impending cap situation.

Pocket Hercules

Business in the front, party in the back.
Jun 19, 2008
York Region
Button touted Neilson as the top Dman prospect for the Leafs at the start of last season. I firmly believe he has opinions just to stir some discussion; or he doesn’t know what he is talking about and out of an NHL job.

Can you believe this guy was one of the Leafs' head scouts during the JFJ era?

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015

Far from the truth. Dermott is more skilled than Rosen by all accounts and has been that way since junior. In his D1, OHL coaches were polled and rated him as one of the top 3 best offensive defensemen in the league. Rosen needs larger ice to thrive, he will never be successful in the NHL, whereas Dermott can handle pucks in a phone booth.

Just wait until Babcock lets him off his leash like he did with Rielly. There is high-end offensive skill with this player that is being suppressed right now.

Reactions: saltming

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
Bump

Saw this today from @KPapetti on Twitter

NHL D 5v5 Rel CF% Leaders since '17-'18 (min 1000 min):
1. Dermott 6.14%
2. Giordano 6.11%
3. Hamilton 5.66%
4. Letang 5.29%
5. Karlsson 5.03%
6. Lindholm 4.57%
7. Ekman-Larsson 4.39%
8. Ekholm 4.14%
9. Butcher 3.97%
10. Dumoulin 3.88%
11. Muzzin 3.87%

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Bump

1. Dermott 6.14%
2. Giordano 6.11%
3. Hamilton 5.66%
4. Letang 5.29%
5. Karlsson 5.03%
6. Lindholm 4.57%
7. Ekman-Larsson 4.39%
8. Ekholm 4.14%
9. Butcher 3.97%
10. Dumoulin 3.88%
11. Muzzin 3.87%

He deserves more ice time, which is all the more reason to trade Gardiner before the TDL honestly.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Bump

1. Dermott 6.14%
2. Giordano 6.11%
3. Hamilton 5.66%
4. Letang 5.29%
5. Karlsson 5.03%
6. Lindholm 4.57%
7. Ekman-Larsson 4.39%
8. Ekholm 4.14%
9. Butcher 3.97%
10. Dumoulin 3.88%
11. Muzzin 3.87%

So how can this be, something is wrong or missing? what do you think it might be?

Reactions: WilliamNylander

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada
*I created this thread as I could not find a previous thread for Dermott.

Amidst the hype of JT and the Leafs depth down the middle, I was excited to have a full season where we could watch the growth and development of our depth prospects like Dermott, Johnsson, and Kapanen.

Dermott is especially intriguing because he plays a position of need for the club and going forward will be a crucial piece for this organization. Last year he was great when he was called up but was not that great in the playoffs. This year it appears he has taken a step forward defensively and is poised in his position. I could go on about some other aspects of his game that has impressed me to date and how some posters have referenced statistics regarding the quality of our third pairing, but I will keep this short.

Some questions to facilitate discussion:
1.) What is your opinion of Dermott's play thus far?

2.) Where does Dermott slot in for our future? Obviously there is no sense in rushing a young dman and it is probably best to let him marinate on the third pairing for now, but do you foresee a situation where he is paired with Rielly? Maybe he takes over for Gardiner eventually but next year would probably be too soon.

3.) In your opinion, what is Dermott's ceiling? I have previously stated that his ceiling could be Cam Fowler at his best (~40 points).

I'm feeling this for next year:

Rielly - Stralman ($8,400,000)
Muzz - Mayfield ($5,400,000)
Dermott - Ozzy ($1,800,000)
Rosen - Holl ($1,400,000)
Sandin - Liljegren
Borgman - Subban
Gordeev - Rasanen
Lindgren - Hollowell

------------------------------
TOTAL = $17,000,000 (our current defense costs $23,000,000)
------------------------------

Unlikely to happen .... but it would be an improvement .... and solve the cap-issues.

Last edited:

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Wouldn't be the first dead guy traded for in professional sports, but hopefully, the last.

The cemetery getting Dermott would win this trade hands down.
He's a good digger

Reactions: Al14

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Bump

1. Dermott 6.14%
2. Giordano 6.11%
3. Hamilton 5.66%
4. Letang 5.29%
5. Karlsson 5.03%
6. Lindholm 4.57%
7. Ekman-Larsson 4.39%
8. Ekholm 4.14%
9. Butcher 3.97%
10. Dumoulin 3.88%
11. Muzzin 3.87%

not quite fair to compare dermott to those guys because Dermott has the 3rd easiest qoc of any of those 1000+ minute dmen in that sample.

that being said, none of the other dmen getting dermott-type usage is anywhere close to that number there - none of them even reach +4rel.

which is mainly because, of course, every single coach in the league who sees a player dominate easy bottom line usage like that always moves him up. always. every single coach.

except ours.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
He needs to get more minutes, which is one more reason why Dubas needs to trade Zaitsev.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
So how can this be, something is wrong or missing? what do you think it might be?

Not sure exactly but I think it is a good indication that Dermott is too good for the minutes he gets now. Doing really well with sheltered 3rd pair mins and he is probably ready for some tougher match ups.

Reactions: stickty111

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
I don't why folks think Dermot plays sheltered minutes. Up until the trade of Muzzin he played almost exclusively with an NHL rookie Ozhiganov. One aspect I really like with Dermot's game is just doesn't retreat backwards when a forward is carrying the puck towards him. He stands up to defend the line....all three.
Gotta think the Leafs LHD just might be Really, Dermot and Rosen next year. PS. I don't think Zaitsev will/can be traded.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Not sure exactly but I think it is a good indication that Dermott is too good for the minutes he gets now. Doing really well with sheltered 3rd pair mins and he is probably ready for some tougher match ups.
Why play Dermott, when Hainsey can be on the top pair instead:)
Sure Babcock is not the problem, as Dubas needs to assess the situation and give him some help:crossfing

Signed "Never say Never to a Mike Babcock coached team".
The excuses for the coach are continuing to flow in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->