Travis Dermott

Skin Tape Session

Oct 7, 2017
1. Our 2nd-best dman this season.

2. #2LD (Jake's spot) or #1RD (until we get a true #1 RHD)

3. Ceiling: Second-pairing dman who can put up 40 points (with PP time).

I disagree on 3 being he plays this well already his ceiling is a num 1d ala Josi type. If he its it is up to him, his floor is 2nd pair d as hes that now.

This may be the best gift hunter gave us. It still feels weird picking in round two let alone hitting on the pick

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Listening to Leafs Lunch and Gord and Craig are saying how they don't think Dermott is gonna be a top 4 D

Are they watching the same games as me? This kid is gonna be a top pairing guy as far as im concerned.
That is very bizarre. Dermott looks poised, calm and has an elite first pass. His greatest strength is his IQ and yet he is one of our fastest skaters. He looks like he could be a top pairing d-man to me... he's 21. If they said that they really need to reevaluate their careers because they shouldn't be talking hockey if they can't see such obvious talent. My opinion of course but yikes.

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Listening to Leafs Lunch and Gord and Craig are saying how they don't think Dermott is gonna be a top 4 D

Are they watching the same games as me? This kid is gonna be a top pairing guy as far as im concerned.

They are dumb and Dermott will prove them dumb in short order. He actually already has they just don't get it.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Love him. And the way Philly was taking runs at him the other night, it's obvious other teams have taken notice add well.

Jebus, this team is going to be impossible to keep together. Every couple of months a new potential or actual star comes out of the woodwork. Great problem to have but I wonder if Kyle knew exactly how demanding this job is going to be?

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
I thought it was funny reading Bruin fans crying about having to play a 21 year old defenseman. They were saying not to worry about the Leafs beating the Provincial Bruins. Actaually it was the Toronto Marlies beating them.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017

What was Craig reasoning?

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008

Like, top 4 in the league? I agree.

He's playing like a team's top 4 defenseman right now.

Reactions: 7even

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
If/when Gardiner leaves in free agency (which I think is near certainty at this point) I’m very comfortable with him sliding into that increase in usage.

One of he best non 1st round draft selections the Leafs have made in ages

Reactions: kb

kb

Aug 28, 2009

Neither of whom work in the NHL. :)

mrJT

Mar 4, 2013
Toronto
What was Craig reasoning?
talking about his positioning in the defensive zone and how his skating gets him out of alot of stuff now but he still has alot of issues.

The kid is 21 and already looks like he can take over for Gardiner in our lineup easily, they were talking a bunch of bs.

FabledKnight

Feb 20, 2008
I feel Dermott will play top pair one day as he seems like the perfect complimentary player. Good wheels, pass, shot and IQ. He isnt gonna be in the Norris conversation, dont see ppg from him but he is steady and can play with anyone.

FabledKnight

Feb 20, 2008
talking about his positioning in the defensive zone and how his skating gets him out of alot of stuff now but he still has alot of issues.

The kid is 21 and already looks like he can take over for Gardiner in our lineup easily, they were talking a bunch of bs.

Isnt that most of the top dmen in the league are like? Is having wheels really a detriment?
Maybe why he isnt employed by an NHL team anymore

Reactions: mrJT

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Isnt that most of the top dmen in the league are like? Is having wheels really a detriment?
Maybe why he isnt employed by an NHL team anymore
I think Button means, Dermott would be punished against #1 lines on 5-vs-5 and skating won't get him out of trouble as much, something like that

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Dermott has been excellent. He has such a good head for the game and then his speed at which he works just takes him to another level.

So proud to see that we've finally started developing our own drafted talent. Rielly, Dermott, Liljegren and Sandin most recently. I can envision Liljegren and Sandin occupying roles on the big club. They have NHL skill and smarts. Just need to cook a bit more.

Duckrider

Oct 6, 2015
If you project him the same way we did Morgan, I would say he is on that same curve right now. I don't think it really gets any better than that tbh.

Morgan really has been incredible this year. But I can say with certainty that Dermott is a lot better than Morgan was at same age. Not saying it will mean anything down the line. Everyone develops differently. But just considering draft position Dermott is looking like a draft day steal!!

PhiladelphiaKessel

DontCrossthe****Line
Aug 9, 2010
I see his potential as an excellent #3, or perhaps even #2 D. There is no need to rush him into top 4 duties yet but hes certainly been really good in his role

Reactions: Northernguy10

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
I think he will top out as a #2/3, probably will end up sacrificing any NHL offense for team success.

IMO, he's clearly a #4 caliber already, another year of improvement and he will be on his way. He's not even a season in yet which is crazy. I'd trust him in every situation 1-2 years from now, his second effort,speed, and decision making is just better overall than everyone but Rielly. All he lacks is offense, which i'm sure Babcock has told him not to worry about trying to score with the other guys we have on the team being plenty

Reactions: kb

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009

His positioning is sloppy sometimes, but thats not the type of thing that keeps a guy from being a top 4D. Imagine trying to use someones elite skating as a slight against them as well. I would lose brain cells listening to Leafs Lunch

I now have 0 desire to ever listen to those guys

Reactions: kb and mrJT

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
What separates Dermott from the other young defensemen in the Leafs organization is two things IMHO.

1. his mental toughness, his ability to think defense.
2. he is very feisty in his play.

Compared to Rosen or Borgman, it is obvious Dermott does not have their raw talent. However, Dermott is a better defender right now because of his brain and his attitude.

Dermott will have a long NHL career because of these two strong points he has.

:thumbu:

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
What separates Dermott from the other young defensemen in the Leafs organization is two things IMHO.

1. his mental toughness, his ability to think defense.
2. he is very feisty in his play.

Compared to Rosen or Borgman, it is obvious Dermott does not have their raw talent. However, Dermott is a better defender right now because of his brain and his attitude.

Dermott will have a long NHL career because of these two strong points he has.

:thumbu:
He's every bit as talented as Borgman and Rosen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad