Travis Dermott

Once

Jul 16, 2010
*I created this thread as I could not find a previous thread for Dermott.

Amidst the hype of JT and the Leafs depth down the middle, I was excited to have a full season where we could watch the growth and development of our depth prospects like Dermott, Johnsson, and Kapanen.

Dermott is especially intriguing because he plays a position of need for the club and going forward will be a crucial piece for this organization. Last year he was great when he was called up but was not that great in the playoffs. This year it appears he has taken a step forward defensively and is poised in his position. I could go on about some other aspects of his game that has impressed me to date and how some posters have referenced statistics regarding the quality of our third pairing, but I will keep this short.

Some questions to facilitate discussion:
1.) What is your opinion of Dermott's play thus far?

2.) Where does Dermott slot in for our future? Obviously there is no sense in rushing a young dman and it is probably best to let him marinate on the third pairing for now, but do you foresee a situation where he is paired with Rielly? Maybe he takes over for Gardiner eventually but next year would probably be too soon.

3.) In your opinion, what is Dermott's ceiling? I have previously stated that his ceiling could be Cam Fowler at his best (~40 points).

Hockey Crazy

Dec 30, 2008
Dermott is the best all around D man that this team has developed in ages. He brings a perfect blend of all the skills required for a good modern day NHL D. Sandin really reminds me of him and I wish we had one of them on the RHD side.

I think he can be a 30-40 ppt guy who can play on the top pair for support. Really high on his game

Reactions: LeafGrief

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Dermott is the best all around D man that this team has developed in ages. He brings a perfect blend of all the skills required for a good modern day NHL D. Sandin really reminds me of him and I wish we had one of them on the RHD side.

I think he can be a 30-40 ppt guy who can play on the top pair for support. Really high on his game

Morgan is pretty good. We developed him too you know so it's not really ages as you say. Good defender though.

Reactions: RLF

Einzakin

Jan 20, 2011

Morgan Rielly

Reactions: smitty10 and RLF

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
I've really, really liked his game so far this year. That he's playing this way at 21, while still on the Babcock leash, is quite impressive. He'll be over-ready for a top-4 role pretty soon at this rate.

Reactions: kb and saltming

Hockey Crazy

Dec 30, 2008
Morgan Rielly
Offensively, Reilly is incredible and he is no slouch on the D side, I'd like to see him away from Hainsey to see if his possession numbers would improve drastically and if he can suppress shots against top end talent.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I've really, really liked his game so far this year. That he's playing this way at 21, while still on the Babcock leash, is quite impressive. He'll be over-ready for a top-4 role pretty soon at this rate.

If you project him the same way we did Morgan, I would say he is on that same curve right now. I don't think it really gets any better than that tbh.

Reactions: kb

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
I really like the kid, you can almost see the small improvements and adjustments on a game to game basis, he's really on an upward trajectory, nice to see that a dumb dumb coach like Babs :sarcasm: see's fit in playing the kid in responsible situations, should be getting some PK time in the near future, hopefully he's now disciplined enough to handle it and doesn't chase or overplay

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Dermott has been terrific and I think his development has made Gardiner expendable, and I am a Gardiner booster.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
Some questions to facilitate discussion:
1.) What is your opinion of Dermott's play thus far?

2.) Where does Dermott slot in for our future? Obviously there is no sense in rushing a young dman and it is probably best to let him marinate on the third pairing for now, but do you foresee a situation where he is paired with Rielly? Maybe he takes over for Gardiner eventually but next year would probably be too soon.

3.) In your opinion, what is Dermott's ceiling? I have previously stated that his ceiling could be Cam Fowler at his best (~40 points).

1. Our 2nd-best dman this season.

2. #2LD (Jake's spot) or #1RD (until we get a true #1 RHD)

3. Ceiling: Second-pairing dman who can put up 40 points (with PP time).

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Dermott has been terrific and I think his development has made Gardiner expendable, and I am a Gardiner booster.

I keep flip-flopping, I think Gardiner is done as a Leaf after this season unless he wants to resign at 4'ish AAV, not gonna happen. Dermott takes the 2nd pairing LHD next season and plays with the Matthews line.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
He's been our 2nd best defenseman. He's very good defensively and he can transition the puck very well. I see his ceiling as a good top pairing defenseman but not elite

Reactions: smitty10

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
I think the Leafs are in good hands with Rielly, Dermott, Sandin and Liljegren making up 4 of their 6 dmen in future.

Quite like what I've seen of Durzi and Hollowell too.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
The most important player we have. Able to play in Asgard while succeeding with Jane. Cannot be underestimated.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
My Dermott hype is a little off the rails at this point. Really hoping that Babs starts giving him some bigger responsibilities and tries him out on the right hand side. His defensive awareness, strength, and transition game are off the charts. Fantastic player and has all the tools + toolbox to be a top pairing guy.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
My Dermott hype is a little off the rails at this point. Really hoping that Babs starts giving him some bigger responsibilities and tries him out on the right hand side. His defensive awareness, strength, and transition game are off the charts. Fantastic player and has all the tools + toolbox to be a top pairing guy.
another thing that might work is play Gardiner up with Rielly, and let Dermott play his natural side with Zaitsev on the second pair.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
That would work too. All depends on what Babcock thinks is best for developing Dermott.
true, but he also has to factor in what would win the most games, and that probably means playing him more. we'll have to see, but it's nice to have a player like Dermott

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
I keep flip-flopping, I think Gardiner is done as a Leaf after this season unless he wants to resign at 4'ish AAV, not gonna happen. Dermott takes the 2nd pairing LHD next season and plays with the Matthews line.
I don't disagree i could see him traded with a forward and a pick for a dman with some years on his contract left or is an RFA.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Jake is having a slow start offensively. Dermott hasn't surged out of the gate offensively either, but his advanced stats are really good, albeit playing 3rd pairing. I think it would take a lot to move Dermott up the lineup right now, like an injury to Jake or try him on the right side because nobody else can , but with the team playing pretty well, there is no need to risk screwing things up. He'll get his chance next season if Jake leaves.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I'm curious to see what he can do with PP time when we eventually move on from Jake. That will determine if he is a solid 2nd pairing guy, or if he has higher upside than that. He has the best gap control and ability to deny clean entries on the team. That is a very hard skill to improve on as it is so instinctive and reactionary. A great example of this was him denying the entry to Evander Kane forcing a turnover that lead to Kapanen's goal vs the Sharks.

Reactions: saltming
Mar 14, 2011
High Danger chances against/60 Defensive zone start

Dermott 7.95 (29.1%)
Zaitsev 11.19 (38.14%)
Gardiner 11.29 (36.24 %)
Ozhiganov 11.39 ( 29.43%)
Hainsey 12.82 (32.9%)
Rielly 12.92 (30.54%)

Even thou his offence is just starting to come out, Dermott's ability to handle the puck, his amazing outlet passes, surprisingly effective board work and very impressive mobility have made him one of the stingiest 3rd pairing Dman in the league when it comes to giving quality chances. With the "new NHL" being all about speed and the icing rule in effect, I feel like the qualities above is pretty much a requirement now for a true "shutdown" Dman, the slow, big Dman with no puck skills is already phasing out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad