Tribute Travis Dermott appreciation thread

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
Dermott seemed like an excellent human away from hockey. High energy, lots of skill, a little grit. I really liked him but he got stuck in a logjam of LHD. I bet if he were right handed he would have thrived here. I think he’s a better defenseman than most just didn’t get enough opportunity.

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
Good luck. I wish we could have provided better coaching for your development. Soon you will have a chance to lead, go for it!

Reactions: LeafGrief

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Good luck to Dermott wherever his career takes him. He was a lot of fun to watch breaking into the league. Wish it had worked out better here, but I imagine he'll land on his feet as a top4 defender eventually.

Reactions: stickty111

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
He had a real bright start to his tenure with the TML. I never questioned his drive or heart but he just wasn’t able to make that next step or as talented as Sandin or any of the other leafs playing the left side. While he could play the right to me was meh at best there. I hope the change of scenery helps but I think at this point he will be a journeyman D for the rest of his career. That’s not a bad thing but reality.

Wish him all the best in his future endeavours.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Wish they gave him an extended look but the Muzzin trade and Sandin development marked the end for him. Wish he was a right hand shot because he has all the tools. I think he'll be a great fit in Vancouver and get a chance to develop more with increased minutes.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
All the tools, just couldn't put it all together. It would not surprise me to see Travis thrive in Vancouver, but ultimately he ran out of runway in TOR and he was really never going to become anything more than what he currently is.

Happy for Travis, he'll get an opportunity here in Vancouver. At least I'll have a player to cheer for when I am watching the Nucks. I usually just watch to cheer for the opposition, but it'll be nice to track Travis' progress. He's a player that is easy to cheer for.

Reactions: kb

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
There were a few times where he was thrust into a higher role due to injury, and he always handled it well. You have to appreciate that. It could be a sign that he's ready for a bigger role elsewhere, and that's exactly what he's about to get.

I hope the best for him. I'd bet VAN fans will and up happy with the deal.

OddyOh

Really, Healy?
Aug 18, 2010
Regina, SK
My favourite Dermott* moment was the pregame of Keefe's first game. The sideline reporter (Shawn MacKenzie maybe, or Kyle B?) asked Dermott during warmup to comment on the Babcock firing/Keefe promotion. Dermott was super excited and blurted out something like 'yeah you know, it was the right call. The guys are excited to play for Keefe, etc'. Overdrive talked about it the next day, jokingly calling him a Hero for using the phrase "it's the right call" about a coach his team just got fired with their shitty performances. :laugh: #legend

*Note I may be mistaken and it was Hyman, but pretty sure it was Derms.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
He is gonna get a top 4 audition on right side with canucks for rest of 2022 season .. so he will control his own destiny and my guess is he will do well there .. he has all da tools and Canucks gonna show some confidence in him right from get go

Mr_Fun

Find me sombaty to love.
Oct 7, 2006
BC
It's a good pick up for Vancouver and it's a good deal for Dermott to get a chance at some better ice time. Also, Vancouver still has some potential to be a good team next year so at least he's not going to some bargain basement franchise where he'll be lost in the abyss.

justloveleafs

Mar 12, 2021
Paris Ontario
Like my ole buddy, Darcy, Travis was just never the same mentally, after tearing up his shoulder.

Some lilke Matthews get past it, but most do not.

He tapered off his game 10%, and it made all the difference to potential all star, to being traded.

But you know what? The kid has gotten five years of NHL play and pay, and my hat is off to him, I hope he gets another five.

Watch your pennies and nickels Travis, they vanish quickly when you have too many to count.

Good luck kid, loved your personality.

Northernguy10

May 26, 2013
Timmins Ontario
After watching him in junior I was happy when we drafted him. We don't really have a great history of drafting and developing denfencemen. Hopefully that will change in the near future. We'll see how Sandin and Liljegren turn out over the next few years. As for Travis I hope he gets a solid defence partner and they just plug him in the lineup for 16-20 minutes a night and see what he can do. I'm pulling for him and hope he becomes a top 4 regular in the near future.

forecheck

May 14, 2007
Should have kept him around for insurance with the Sandin News .... If they had the Sandin info prior to the trade they should have backed out and sent him somewhere at the draft .

Reactions: 67leafs and ACC1224

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad