Travis Dermott 2019-20 Season Overview and Contract Projection

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Dermott shouldnt be paid more than Holl's 2 million per. I think 2 yrs @ 2 million per is a good bridge deal for both sides. The Leafs need to see what Dermott is. He has been inconsistent so far and at times is invisible. His acceleration is excellent and im not sure why he doesnt use it enough. Something has to give on that left side with Reilly, Muzzin, Dermott, Sandin. If Sandin or Dermott prove they are Top 4 guys, how do the Leafs mis use them on the 3rd pairing vs trading Morgan Reilly and opening up a spot for them.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

67Leafs67

Nov 8, 2014
I'd love to see Dermott get a shot in the top four on the right side. He's too good to be stuck playing 3rd pairing minutes, as nice of a luxury as that would be. He played RD for his minor hockey & junior career growing up, and definitely has a more active offensive presence when playing his off-side. I think his style and ability to deny zone entries, and play guys with a tight gap would really compliment Rielly well, and they'd make a great 2nd pairing behind Muzzin/Holl.

Might not work, but given the potential expense of other solutions, it seems worth a shot?

the wood guy

Aug 16, 2018
I also would like to see Dermott get a fair chance to be Reilly's RD partner . They would be considered the second D pair , first O pair . Dermotts propensity to interrupt transitional breakouts would help give Reilly time to get back .
Anyone putting Dermott down as nothing more than a third pairing D should remember who he has had to work with. Polak, Oz, Ceci. Talk about boat anchors.
he should have had Hainsey as his partner. Throwing rookies on the third line with replacement level partners has got to be the stupiest developement model for defencemen ever .
who did boston put McAvoy with ? Chara !

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
In a perfect world we sign him to a two year bridge at 1.5-1.75. Unfortunately with our left side packed with Rielly, Muzzin and Sandin all projecting ahead of him and the fact that we will only have 3 spots to protect our players from the Seattle expansion. I would rather deal him for picks or part of a deal that lands a player to play on our top pairing Manson, Savard, Tanev, DeMelo, etc.

Like I said it sucks but the cap And expansion means we need to ensure we don’t lose a decent player for nothing.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Dermott shouldnt be paid more than Holl's 2 million per. I think 2 yrs @ 2 million per is a good bridge deal for both sides. The Leafs need to see what Dermott is. He has been inconsistent so far and at times is invisible. His acceleration is excellent and im not sure why he doesnt use it enough. Something has to give on that left side with Reilly, Muzzin, Dermott, Sandin. If Sandin or Dermott prove they are Top 4 guys, how do the Leafs mis use them on the 3rd pairing vs trading Morgan Reilly and opening up a spot for them.

Nah.

Brandon Carlo signed a 2.85 x 2 contract and he's way better than Dermott.

If we're going the 2 year bridge for Dermott, 1.5 - 1.75 is as high as we should go. I'm beyond sick of this unwritten rule that the Leafs need to pay a premium on every RFA.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He probably has the best gap-control and transition defense of any of our defenders. Those aren't things people usually rave about, but they do have a lot of importance. I would hate to lose him and would like to see him given a shot in the top 4. He possesses something a lot of our defenders lack and what this team needs.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Something in the neighborhood of Holl's contract. Holl likely plays second pairing with Muzzin and is a key PKer for us. So you could argue Dermott should be a shade less given he's notoriously on the 3rd pairing and not a top PKer or special teamer. He is younger than Holl however, and the upside is still there.
1.75mil per x 3yrs

Last edited:
Reactions: kb

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
3 years would be an ideal bridge:

- keeps his as a RFA upon expiry (I'm pretty sure)
- can help maintain a low cap hit
- would provide the Leafs with 3 d-men under contract for these flat cap years.
- would provide some stability in two years when Rielly, Sandin, and Liljegren would all be up for contract renewals

For all the concerns of the flat cap going forward, signing him would provide the Leafs with 5 capable d-men under contract over the next two seasons. That's important depth at a time when there will be little cap flexibility.

Reactions: Menzinger and kb

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
a
Yes, yes, let's trade a 23 year old defenseman who is just coming into his own..
This is da stupidity Leaf fans have had with defenders for over 60 years ... it is why we don't ever develop an elite defender ... fans who have never played pro hockey or even junior who think they know who will develop as a defender and who won't .. kinda makes me LOL

Reactions: kb and ACC1224

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
In the case of Dermott, he could decide that playing for the local team is worth enough to take less.

But if I was Dermott I would have a lot of questions. I assume that Dermott is confident enough in his on abilities to think that he should be a top-4, if not now, very soon. Dermott has Rielly and Muzzin ahead of him on the left side. Sandin and Lehtonen are also LHD. Before I would even want to consider taking less I would want to know what the team's plans are to deal with that. In the 24 games that Muzzin, Rielly and Dermott were all in the lineup this year Dermott averaged 14:45 a game with 37 seconds a game of PK time (and that includes a game when Muzzin was injured early in the 1st period). Keefe also played Marincin in the top-4 over Dermott for the first several games after Muzzin's late December injury which I would consider a real kick in the pants. I assume that is not the kind of regular deployment Dermott imagines himself doing for the next 4 seasons. So how does the team plan on remedying that situation, and if it involves moving Dermott to the right, then how can the team commit to that when they haven't seen how he will play there? If I was Sandin I would have these same questions too.

For myself playing on the hometown team would be a dream come true, as I am sure it would be for most people, but I would not pass on the opportunity to reach my potential elsewhere if I felt that my path was blocked. And I certainly wouldn't take less to stay in a place where my path was blocked.
His entire family wants him here. He wants to be here too. He has told Leafs he can and wants to play right side. It is one of reasons he has been skating and playing with Rielly. Da true test will come today to see where he lines up when things start up for real. Where will Ceci play?

Reactions: Menzinger

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Wouldn't Dermott be one of the most likely player to be selected in an expansion draft?

I have difficulties figuring out what Dubas' next move will be with Dermott. It won't be an easy decision when you consider all the outside pressures.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
If Dermott wants to sign fir 5 years Dubas should be willing to work with them. 6 years even better. Am i Ever showing confidence in Dermott here huh.
$3,500,000 for 6 years would be nice.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
In the case of Dermott, he could decide that playing for the local team is worth enough to take less.

But if I was Dermott I would have a lot of questions. I assume that Dermott is confident enough in his on abilities to think that he should be a top-4, if not now, very soon. Dermott has Rielly and Muzzin ahead of him on the left side. Sandin and Lehtonen are also LHD. Before I would even want to consider taking less I would want to know what the team's plans are to deal with that. In the 24 games that Muzzin, Rielly and Dermott were all in the lineup this year Dermott averaged 14:45 a game with 37 seconds a game of PK time (and that includes a game when Muzzin was injured early in the 1st period). Keefe also played Marincin in the top-4 over Dermott for the first several games after Muzzin's late December injury which I would consider a real kick in the pants. I assume that is not the kind of regular deployment Dermott imagines himself doing for the next 4 seasons. So how does the team plan on remedying that situation, and if it involves moving Dermott to the right, then how can the team commit to that when they haven't seen how he will play there? If I was Sandin I would have these same questions too.

For myself playing on the hometown team would be a dream come true, as I am sure it would be for most people, but I would not pass on the opportunity to reach my potential elsewhere if I felt that my path was blocked. And I certainly wouldn't take less to stay in a place where my path was blocked.

Your thesis is solid. No one is suggesting that Dermott isn't an NHL player with untapped potential. But is Toronto going to be the place where he'll flourish and fulfil that potential best? When "top 4" is dropped regarding him with the Leafs, it's with a caveat: it's top 4 playing out of position. I don't think that's good for the team or the player. And it should be noted that it's Keefe not Babcock who was choosing to limit Dermott's usage.

I think Sandin's road to the top 4 is less blocked due to age and Rielly having only 2 more seasons remaining before free agency. We'll see how that develops over the next few seasons.

Reactions: Menzinger

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
His entire family wants him here. He wants to be here too. He has told Leafs he can and wants to play right side. It is one of reasons he has been skating and playing with Rielly. Da true test will come today to see where he lines up when things start up for real. Where will Ceci play?

All nice especially the willingness to play out of position but the place to learn how to become proficient playing out of position isn't the first pairing it's the third pairing. Does he want to play on the third pairing for a year or so? If he does, he'd have to be paid like a 3rd pairing player at least in the short term.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo

Sandin has said that he can play the right side as well, and Sandin actually started the 2019 training camp on the right side. Doesn't matter what either says unless and until the team believes that they can do so on a regular basis.

Day one of new training camp and Rielly is back with Ceci. Maybe things will change.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
All nice especially the willingness to play out of position but the place to learn how to become proficient playing out of position isn't the first pairing it's the third pairing. Does he want to play on the third pairing for a year or so? If he does, he'd have to be paid like a 3rd pairing player at least in the short term.
$$$ not primary driver here. He played right side his whole life until 20 and a little centre too. Also played some with Marlies too. Some of you are making this a much bigger issue than it truly is.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Some of you are making this a much bigger issue than it truly is.

None of us are making this a much bigger issue. I have said repeatedly that I don't care. Happy if he can. If the team doesn't feel that he can't then they have to make the right decisions for all parties. You are completely invested in your belief.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Sandin has said that he can play the right side as well, and Sandin actually started the 2019 training camp on the right side. Doesn't matter what either says unless and until the team believes that they can do so on a regular basis.

Day one of new training camp and Rielly is back with Ceci. Maybe things will change.

Ask every LHD in the NHL whether he thinks he can play the right side. I bet nearly 100% of them think they can.

Reactions: biotk

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
None of us are making this a much bigger issue. I have said repeatedly that I don't care. Happy if he can. If the team doesn't feel that he can't then they have to make the right decisions for all parties. You are completely invested in your belief.
While that is true I have watched him play since he could p*ss straight at 5. So watching a player for like 19 years you see many things and learn about family and on ice skills.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Ask every LHD in the NHL whether he thinks he can play the right side. I bet nearly 100% of them think they can.

Even if they have doubts they are not going to say it - especially if they a young player wanting to move up the lineup.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018

Sandin does not skate at da NHL level yet. He is basically with Spezza on full ice skating speed drills. He is smart. He is tough. He can lateral skate with anybody. His hands are amazing. But bottom line he has to keep up to an up/down speed game still.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
$$$ not primary driver here. He played right side his whole life until 20 and a little centre too. Also played some with Marlies too. Some of you are making this a much bigger issue than it truly is.

Maybe I need to state the following since I'm often playing Cassandra or the Devil's Advocate: I'd be thrilled if he was a solution on the right side.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
While that is true I have watched him play since he could p*ss straight at 5. So watching a player for like 19 years you see many things and learn about family and on ice skills.

So you are very invested. Being able to do something well at one level doesn't mean you can do it well enough at the next level. I am not saying that he can or can't. But so far I have seen little indication that the organization shares your confidence. I really like Dermott as a player. I want to see him be very successful as a D in the NHL. If that is on the Leafs that would be amazing. If it can only be done on another team, again I want to see him be successful.

I have long been hoping for the Leafs' to fix part of their issues by moving Rielly to the right side pairing him with Muzzin as their matchup pair. Resulting in a second pairing presumably of Dermott and Holl. But just because I feel that Rielly has played well on the right side doesn't mean that the team agrees.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015

There would seem to be less of a need to pair Rielly and Dermott "now", assuming all of Barrie, Holl and Ceci play when games resume. Things could very well change going into next season if there's an imbalance between LHD and RHD though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad