Travis Dermott 2019-20 Season Overview and Contract Projection

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Good analysis. Just a couple points to add. I have seen Dermy play since he learned how to p*ss. At least 4 times every year in exhibition games and tournaments and on same team for spring hockey. He was always best skater (after McJesus) in virtually every game he played in and that includes Mitch. He was noticeable every game.
He was also always fearless since day 1. He would always give and take a big hit to make a play. For a smaller guy he has a huge heart. Over time as he gets more pro game experience and he fills out a little more i think we are going to have a real gem. Who knows where it goes but a year or two more with Muzzy as his tutor and i think it will make a world of difference.

Muzzin might be a decent long-term comparable for Dermott. Stocky, physical D that use IQ and heart to succeed in the league. If Muzzy can mentor Dermott into a lite version of himself, our #3 would be set long term.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
What's your impression of Vince Dunn? Always thought he and Dermott were pretty comparable.
I'm familiar with him since the Pro Hockey days. Amazing how many guys Hofford groomed.

If the Blues need to move a defenseman the Leafs should be all over Dunn.

For those not familiar, check out the grads Home
I only really saw him close in 1 spring tournament when my kid was called up due to injury. But what I remember was an amazing skater who was super smooth with puck. He seemed to always make right play with puck coming out of his own end whether to skate it up or make da right pass. and he seemed to make right reads in his own end all da time. I really like him. His dad John who i talked to once at rink seemed like a guy i could go for a beer with. I think they moved to Peterborough from GTA if I remember right.

Hogan86

Jun 21, 2016
3.15 is to much to give him for only 3 years. Either give a 3.5 deal that gets 6 years (kind of like ekholms deal before he had broken out) or go bridge and 1.75 on a 2 year deal.
Couldnt agree more. 2 year deal for cheap, or we sign him longterm for a better AAV. I'm still not sold on Dermott, and feel like on a contender(with a legit D corps) he would be a 4/5 at best. With the stagnant cap, his AAV has to make sense.

I'd rather a 2 year cheap deal to be honest.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Well we might still get to finish the regular season and have a playoffs yet. Dermott can add to his value ir at the least maintain it. He was playing 22 minutes a couple games towards the end there, a couple in the 25 minutes range and looked his best. North America has to get their head out their arses and get major testing available. Its starting to become abundantly clear to me that this is a farce beyond what citizens are doing to shut this virus out. Its a god darn joke that we aren’t throwing everything we have at protecting them vulnerable age groups in long term care. This should have been weeks ago.

More tests available and temperatures devices testing at all public places and wearing a mask while out and washing hands and sanitizing and sanitizer available everywhere would work.

This to me is looking stinky now. Something fishy. Hey our top Doctor got on National tv lying that wearing a mask had no effect?? Really? She lied because they were so unprepared that they didn’t have enough masks for frontline nurses and Doctors. That’s despicable.

I watch and agreed i have to do my part like most of us but don’t get me thinking they ate playing me for a fool because I won’t be nice about it. Bribery to stay in while every bill we have is getting behind before you know it.

Ok I’m a bit annoyed today just so everyone knows ha :) arrrgh

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Going to be a tough, but not that tough signing. I think 2 years, under 2m is what both parties are going to be looking at, with a bit of temptation for the Leafs to want some extra term for a few more dollars.

Dermott seemed like he was really a disappointment for most of the year, but when Muzzin went down and he was thrust into 20 minutes a game he started playing fantastic hockey. While I'm not as bullish on his upside as I was a year ago, he's still got "career top4 defenseman" written all over him. Our left side is certainly crowded with Sandin coming up, but cheap young defensemen who can hang in top4 minutes are the sort of thing that we should be hoarding. I'm still hopeful that we can shift him over to the right side. He's the kind of guy who we can move if the deal is right, but keeping him during his cheap years is also a smart move.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
IF Dubas is stupid enough to pay this guy anywhere close to what the OP is suggesting things are much worse than I ever thought. Guy deserves a two year bridge at 1.5. He has regressed this year and I get that due to injury he was forced around the lineup but we are in no position to had out generous contracts on potential.

Sign him and then trade him. We should easily get a high second for him. Said it before and will say it again if Sandin is viewed as the better prospect then Dermott is expendable.

Our only need on D is a first pairing RHD. We need to do everything in our power to find a partner for Reilly. After that we will be fine IMO.

Reactions: qqaz

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
IF Dubas is stupid enough to pay this guy anywhere close to what the OP is suggesting things are much worse than I ever thought. Guy deserves a two year bridge at 1.5. He has regressed this year and I get that due to injury he was forced around the lineup but we are in no position to had out generous contracts on potential.

Sign him and then trade him. We should easily get a high second for him. Said it before and will say it again if Sandin is viewed as the better prospect then Dermott is expendable.

Our only need on D is a first pairing RHD. We need to do everything in our power to find a partner for Reilly. After that we will be fine IMO.
This is exactly why our Leafs have SUCKED on defense for over 60 years. It kills me when I see fans thinking they KNOW what a young defender can be. No one knows. Not even Shanny knows. Dermy is 3-4 years away in pro development from really understand what he can be. Sandin 5-6 years away. Kids need to be developed as defenders properly. It is DA BIGGEST FAULT of Leaf org for most of our lifetimes. Hopefully next year we can do a better job.

Rielly - XXX (vet defender)
Muzzy - Dermy
Sandin - Holl
XXX (vet backup) - Lily (start developing him at NHL level)

Reactions: Glacious and qqaz

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
dermott with an R makes 3 mill, meanwhile in the hyman thread, people think he gonna take 3-4 mill with a U in his free agency...the logic of some of you guys man

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
dermott with an R makes 3 mill, meanwhile in the hyman thread, people think he gonna take 3-4 mill with a U in his free agency...the logic of some of you guys man
Given COVID world and same CAP with higher escrow and Leafs at high end of CAP I think you will see more reasonable 1 year deals to get us through the fire .. don't forget we are signing Mik, Clifford and likely Spezza too

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Dumping him for a second at this point is pretty short sighted.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017

Agreed. If the Bruins can get a far superior defender Carlo on a 2.85x2 bridge, then the contract for Dermott should be 1.5 - 1.75 x 2.

I'm not with you on the trade him part though.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Ufa vs rfa

And he doesnt strike me as an asset another team would risk using an offersheet on given his uneven track record so far

Considering compensation for an offersheet 2-4 mill (which we cant match) is only a 2nd, he is actually more likely to be an offersheet target

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Considering compensation for an offersheet 2-4 mill (which we cant match) is only a 2nd, he is actually more likely to be an offersheet target
While that is true I dont think teams want to rock the boat for a player like Dermott. Having cost controlled RFAs benefits every team while an offersheet war for every RFA hurts everyone.

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
Everything about the player screams "short cheap deal." He could be really useful moving forward, and it's too early to just liquidate him.

But everything about the depth chart screams "expendable trade asset." we have two lefties that are more important today (Rielly, Muzzin), and a 3rd guy is younger and cheaper (Sandin). Liquidate him.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Everything about the player screams "short cheap deal." He could be really useful moving forward, and it's too early to just liquidate him.

But everything about the depth chart screams "expendable trade asset." we have two lefties that are more important today (Rielly, Muzzin), and a 3rd guy is younger and cheaper (Sandin). Liquidate him.

Is there any team with a similar RHD that have similar depth chart issues and will make their player available in a 1-for-1 deal? Because without a young RHD with top 4 potential in return, Dermott shouldnt be dealt.

NYI:
R - Pulock, Mayfield, Dobson
L - Pelech
Mayfield for Dermott?

NYR:
R - Trouba, Fox, DeAngelo
L - Lindgren
DeAngelo for Dermott?

Literally the only 2 options and both are going to require a significant add

Last edited:
Reactions: SHANNYPLAN and qqaz

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015

Yeah it's unfortunate but he is stuck in 'no-mans land' really.

Reactions: qqaz

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
I could see him taking 900k on a 1 year deal to make himself easier to integrate into the roster and go for a prove it year where he shows he's a top 4 D.

Similar to what Johnsson did

Reactions: The Podium

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Dumping him for a second at this point is pretty short sighted.

Well then trade him for a player we can use. Look I like Dermott and I know he will be a useful NHL player. The issue is we are committed to Reilly, Muzzin and Sandin on the left side. Dermott doesn’t scream first pairing RHD and we need to give Liljegren an opportunity. It’s pretty simple really, we have a decent asset that could get use a player to use.

example

TML
Dermott

NJD
Zacha

We now have our 3C who is young and we can trade Kerfoot.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Dermott won’t be a difficult signing. Likely short term. Just under 2M, would be my guess.

what remains to be seen is if he’s going to be apart of the team moving forward.

With Rielly, Muzzin and Sandin certainly in the Ld spots next season (and the playoffs?) it doesn’t leave a natural spot for Dermy.

On the right side, we’ve got Justin Holl. Timothy Liljegren should be ready, and then I think the hope is there we can add someone via trade or free agency to play beside Morgan Rielly.

So again, unless Dermott steps up to be Rielly‘s partner, or Liljegren doesn’t appear ready, there isn’t really a spot available for Dermott.

It’s a very real possibility that Travis Dermott is used in a trade.

If you really wanna big brain it, there could be evidence to support Rielly being the one traded. (Most value among LHd’s. Could return top RHD. Impending contract extension needed that we might not be able to afford etc).

I'm with you Cor. I don't think he has a future with us and probably should be packaged with AJ for a RHD or a great #3C and some futures.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018

right side with muzzy next year

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
He didn't really progress this year. disappointing. Especially when you consider Sandin and Liljegren didn't impress in their appearances either.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
dermott will never take that step offensively which a lot of ppl use to determine a defender's impact...but im fine with his progression as a defensive defender...yes, he mainly on the ice against bottom 6 nhl players but hes done a sound and solid job and should be even better

i dont know about the future but as of now holl is better than him, and as a UFA, holl just got 2mill.....i really dont see dermott's deal being over 2...should be in the 1.5-2mill range

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad