Travis Dermott 2019-20 Season Overview and Contract Projection

AdamoR61

May 16, 2019
Much like the season of the Toronto Maple Leafs, Travis Dermott’s 2019-20 campaign has been full of ups and downs. On some nights he looks like a legitimate smooth-skating #3 or #4 defenceman whilst other nights you begin to question how much the flaws of Jake Gardiner had rubbed off on him. When evaluating a player, I like to break it down into 4 different categories: in zone offence, transition/rushes, in zone defence and special teams.

In Zone Offence
Dermott has never been known as the offensive defenceman type at the NHL that puts up a lot of points and generates a lot of shots. 4 goals, 7 assists (just 1 primary assist) for 11 points in 56 games isn’t something to really look into due to his increased defensive role following the injuries of Morgan Rielly, Jake Muzzin and Cody Ceci. When on the ice at even strength, Dermott’s corsi for % (CF%) was exactly 50.0% meaning his team had about the same amount of shot attempts as the other team. Relative to his teammates his corsi for (CF) is -6.15 which is not good. One thing to note however is how little Dermott shot the puck relative to his previous seasons. This season Dermott took just 1.08 shots/game compared to 1.50 and 1.41 in his previous seasons. A factor here could be the newer efficient offence that head coach Sheldon Keefe has implemented that involves more high danger chances and less low percentage shots from the point. Not much else to note about Dermott’s offensive game other than how genuinely excited this guy gets whenever he scores, just amazing to watch.
Overall grade: B-

In Zone Defence
Now this is where the season didn’t go as planned for Dermott as on some nights he was tasked with shutting down opponents best weapons. As mentioned previously, on some nights Dermott looks like a total stud and is finally beginning to show his top 4 upside while on other nights he’s just lighting money on fire for his next contract. Therefore one thing that was lacking from Dermott’s in zone defensive abilities is consistency. He has been very tenacious for the puck in the corners which is something that the Leafs could use more of but at the same time Dermott needs to learn when to pull back. On a few occasions this season Dermott got carried away in puck pursuit that led to either a blown coverage or a penalty taken. One game in particular for Dermott was the one on February 29th against the Canucks where he took a foolish interference penalty against Elias Pettersson that led to a scoring chance for one of the league's better power plays. In that game as well it seemed like Dermott was getting away with a lot of infractions when marking Pettersson, luckily for him the officials didn’t call them. According to the math done by Evolving Hockey, relative to his teammates this season Dermott’s xGA/60 is -0.32 which isn’t too great by any means. Although minor and not a good way but a tool to help evaluate his defence, Dermott gave the puck away 44 times compared to him taking the puck away a mere 23 times.
Overall grade: C

Transition/Rushes
This is where Travis Dermott thieves. Since going professional and working with Barbra Underhill (Maple Leafs power skating coach) Dermott went from being an average skater at best to one of the more elite skating defenseman in the league. This season Dermott was one of the Leafs key puck movers on the backend. Whether it being a stretch pass up to a streaking forward or gaining speed using his high power crossovers to skate the puck out, Dermott’s puck moving has Roman Josi type potential. As for defending the rush, this is where I would say Dermott is best when it comes to defending due his skating ability. He is actually 10th in the NHL in prevented zone entry denial percentage (minimum 100 attempts against) meaning he is among the best of defencemen in preventing opposing forwards from skating into the zone with the puck on their stick. Some notable names on this top 10 list include John Marino, Sami Vatanen and John Carlson. Dermott uses his quick feet and strong core to angle attackers towards the boards in the neutral zone then puts his stick out at the blueline to force the defender to either turnover or dump the puck in. Another thing that makes Dermott very good in transition is how he is able to prevent opposing east-west passes using his stick positioning.
Overall grade: A

Special Teams
The Leafs were 21st in the NHL for penalty kill% at a mere 77.7% while taking 3.08 penalties per game which has them sit 26th in the league. Dermott is a serviceable penalty killer despite his in zone defensive deficiencies, he isn’t afraid to sacrifice his body while he uses his tenacious attitude to press attackers when the puck is jammed in the corner or along the end boards. One thing that Dermott could work on however is his awareness and on a few instances this season, a blown coverage from Dermott or a back door pass to his man led to high danger scoring chances. As for the powerplay, Dermott wasn’t really used here and probably for a good reason.

Overall Season Grade: B

Contract Projection and Compareables
Using Dom Luszczyszyn’s projected game score model, Dermott’s season game score value added (GSVA) had him at 0.78 over an 82 game season. “The model uses the last three years of data weighted by recency to project key box score stats and a few on-ice stats to create a projected Game Score that is then translated to a win value.” I use this stat because contracts are often based off of box score numbers with a smaller analytical focus. Dermott’s projected GSVA is comparable to the following.

*all are left-handed defencemen in and around the age of 23
NameGSVATeamTOI/GGAPContract (AAV)Age
Dermott0.78TOR21.16.118.524.6$863,33323
Pettersson0.79PIT18.52.720.523.2$4,025,17523
Butcher0.77NJD17.95.025.330.3$3,500,00025
Kulak0.70MTL18.84.013.717.8$1,850,00026
Pelech0.88NYI21.14.518.522.9$1,500,00025
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Travis Dermott Contract Projection: $3,150,000 x 3 years

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
His analytics are solid, I generally like his pinches and he holds the line well, but he plays too rambunctious. I don't think he has it between the ears. He's forever trying to juke/feint the forecheckers with his back to them and it rarely works. He's basically the same player he was when he was called up.

He should be packaged with one of Kerfoot/Johnsson/Kapanen for a RD upgrade worth a protection spot in the expansion draft.

Reactions: qqaz

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Yeah, I'd trade him before I'd give him over 3M on a 3 year term
We still don't even know if he tops out as a good bottom pair D yet

Unless he's willing to take something "team friendly" over a 2 year term I'd qualify him, he hasn't proven good enough to warrant anything else yet imo

Reactions: stickty111

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
pencil him in for 8 more years on the left side. Plays with energy, is improving and seems like a great team mate.

Not sure why anyone would want to trade him as difficult as it is to get a decent D-man.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
I thought he plateaued to be honest. He looked like the sky was the limit last year. Kinda reminds me of Gardiner's progression: looked so amazing for couple of years then was pretty good but you were left wanting for more. Something seems missing with Dermott. Not sure I'm paying $3M+ for that right now.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I would want Dermott signing long term with a front load to keep the average down. It is worth more to have money in hand. I see a bridge coming for him of 3 years. Not what we want overall but the economy and cap situation and unknowns dictate it.

This is likely not a very well thought out post because of the unknowns. Best i can come up with until numbers on cap come out. Teams are screwed in projecting profits right now like everything and everyone else.

Last edited:
Reactions: AdamoR61

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I thought he plateaued to be honest. He looked like the sky was the limit last year. Kinda reminds me of Gardiner's progression: looked so amazing for couple of years then was pretty good but you were left wanting for more. Something seems missing with Dermott. Not sure I'm paying $3M+ for that right now.
He needs a steady defense partner. Its been decent and he took off when needed and given more responsibility. I like his game even though it is definitely not finished developing the consistency it needs. You can just see it will improve. So i will just enjoy watching his game grow. Damn its a young young team. Fans allowing the media to put the contender tag on this team to early is a travesty. Look at these media that are pushing this narrative, bunch of know it all’s that know squat usually.

These morons aren’t students of the game anymore, they are telling fans how it should be, well thats not the way it works and 9 out of 10 of them are idiots of the game. So don’t listen to the idiots Leafers because this team has a ways to go in developing. Still good but a ways to go. Just like Dermy has a ways to go. So there a bit of a rant in there ;)

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
I'd keep him around. I think he's someone who gets better in time with more experience. He's a smooth operator and I think as he grows and gets better and better at reading the game, we'll lean on him more and more.

This up & down season could work in Toronto's favour. Good opportunity to try and tie him down for some decent years at as reasonable cost.

Reactions: qqaz and AdamoR61

AdamoR61

May 16, 2019
I think people often forget how young this guy is and he's not done developing. He was drafted in the same draft as Marner (2015)...

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
3.15 is to much to give him for only 3 years. Either give a 3.5 deal that gets 6 years (kind of like ekholms deal before he had broken out) or go bridge and 1.75 on a 2 year deal.
This for me. Decent young player but you still need to see more before committing too much.
2x2 and see where you're at.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
I think people often forget how young this guy is and he's not done developing. He was drafted in the same draft as Marner (2015)...

Sure but it felt to me like this season he was not improved from last year and I was expecting a little more. That's all I'm saying.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Dermott won’t be a difficult signing. Likely short term. Just under 2M, would be my guess.

what remains to be seen is if he’s going to be apart of the team moving forward.

With Rielly, Muzzin and Sandin certainly in the Ld spots next season (and the playoffs?) it doesn’t leave a natural spot for Dermy.

On the right side, we’ve got Justin Holl. Timothy Liljegren should be ready, and then I think the hope is there we can add someone via trade or free agency to play beside Morgan Rielly.

So again, unless Dermott steps up to be Rielly‘s partner, or Liljegren doesn’t appear ready, there isn’t really a spot available for Dermott.

It’s a very real possibility that Travis Dermott is used in a trade.

If you really wanna big brain it, there could be evidence to support Rielly being the one traded. (Most value among LHd’s. Could return top RHD. Impending contract extension needed that we might not be able to afford etc).

Reactions: qqaz and kb

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Much like the season of the Toronto Maple Leafs, Travis Dermott’s 2019-20 campaign has been full of ups and downs. On some nights he looks like a legitimate smooth-skating #3 or #4 defenceman whilst other nights you begin to question how much the flaws of Jake Gardiner had rubbed off on him. When evaluating a player, I like to break it down into 4 different categories: in zone offence, transition/rushes, in zone defence and special teams.

In Zone Offence
Dermott has never been known as the offensive defenceman type at the NHL that puts up a lot of points and generates a lot of shots. 4 goals, 7 assists (just 1 primary assist) for 11 points in 56 games isn’t something to really look into due to his increased defensive role following the injuries of Morgan Rielly, Jake Muzzin and Cody Ceci. When on the ice at even strength, Dermott’s corsi for % (CF%) was exactly 50.0% meaning his team had about the same amount of shot attempts as the other team. Relative to his teammates his corsi for (CF) is -6.15 which is not good. One thing to note however is how little Dermott shot the puck relative to his previous seasons. This season Dermott took just 1.08 shots/game compared to 1.50 and 1.41 in his previous seasons. A factor here could be the newer efficient offence that head coach Sheldon Keefe has implemented that involves more high danger chances and less low percentage shots from the point. Not much else to note about Dermott’s offensive game other than how genuinely excited this guy gets whenever he scores, just amazing to watch.

In Zone Defence
Now this is where the season didn’t go as planned for Dermott as on some nights he was tasked with shutting down opponents best weapons. As mentioned previously, on some nights Dermott looks like a total stud and is finally beginning to show his top 4 upside while on other nights he’s just lighting money on fire for his next contract. Therefore one thing that was lacking from Dermott’s in zone defensive abilities is consistency. He has been very tenacious for the puck in the corners which is something that the Leafs could use more of but at the same time Dermott needs to learn when to pull back. On a few occasions this season Dermott got carried away in puck pursuit that led to either a blown coverage or a penalty taken. One game in particular for Dermott was the one on February 29th against the Canucks where he took a foolish interference penalty against Elias Pettersson that led to a scoring chance for one of the league's better power plays. In that game as well it seemed like Dermott was getting away with a lot of infractions when marking Pettersson, luckily for him the officials didn’t call them. According to the math done by Evolving Hockey, relative to his teammates this season Dermott’s xGA/60 is -0.32 which isn’t too great by any means. Although minor and not a good way but a tool to help evaluate his defence, Dermott gave the puck away 44 times compared to him taking the puck away a mere 23 times.
Overall grade: C

Transition/Rushes
This is where Travis Dermott thieves. Since going professional and working with Barbra Underhill (Maple Leafs power skating coach) Dermott went from being an average skater at best to one of the more elite skating defenseman in the league. This season Dermott was one of the Leafs key puck movers on the backend. Whether it being a stretch pass up to a streaking forward or gaining speed using his high power crossovers to skate the puck out, Dermott’s puck moving has Roman Josi type potential. As for defending the rush, this is where I would say Dermott is best when it comes to defending due his skating ability. He is actually 10th in the NHL in prevented zone entry denial percentage (minimum 100 attempts against) meaning he is among the best of defencemen in preventing opposing forwards from skating into the zone with the puck on their stick. Some notable names on this top 10 list include John Marino, Sami Vatanen and John Carlson. Dermott uses his quick feet and strong core to angle attackers towards the boards in the neutral zone then puts his stick out at the blueline to force the defender to either turnover or dump the puck in. Another thing that makes Dermott very good in transition is how he is able to prevent opposing east-west passes using his stick positioning.
Overall grade: A

Special Teams
The Leafs were 21st in the NHL for penalty kill% at a mere 77.7% while taking 3.08 penalties per game which has them sit 26th in the league. Dermott is a serviceable penalty killer despite his in zone defensive deficiencies, he isn’t afraid to sacrifice his body while he uses his tenacious attitude to press attackers when the puck is jammed in the corner or along the end boards. One thing that Dermott could work on however is his awareness and on a few instances this season, a blown coverage from Dermott or a back door pass to his man led to high danger scoring chances. As for the powerplay, Dermott wasn’t really used here and probably for a good reason.

Overall Season Grade: B

Contract Projection and Compareables
Using Dom Luszczyszyn’s projected game score model, Dermott’s season game score value added (GSVA) had him at 0.78 over an 82 game season. “The model uses the last three years of data weighted by recency to project key box score stats and a few on-ice stats to create a projected Game Score that is then translated to a win value.” I use this stat because contracts are often based off of box score numbers with a smaller analytical focus. Dermott’s projected GSVA is comparable to the following.

*all are left-handed defencemen in and around the age of 23
NameGSVATeamTOI/GGAPContract (AAV)Age
Dermott0.78TOR21.16.118.524.6$863,33323
Pettersson0.79PIT18.52.720.523.2$4,025,17523
Butcher0.77NJD17.95.025.330.3$3,500,00025
Kulak0.70MTL18.84.013.717.8$1,850,00026
Pelech0.88NYI21.14.518.522.9$1,500,00025
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Travis Dermott Contract Projection: $3,150,000 x 3 years
Good analysis. Just a couple points to add. I have seen Dermy play since he learned how to p*ss. At least 4 times every year in exhibition games and tournaments and on same team for spring hockey. He was always best skater (after McJesus) in virtually every game he played in and that includes Mitch. He was noticeable every game.
He was also always fearless since day 1. He would always give and take a big hit to make a play. For a smaller guy he has a huge heart. Over time as he gets more pro game experience and he fills out a little more i think we are going to have a real gem. Who knows where it goes but a year or two more with Muzzy as his tutor and i think it will make a world of difference.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Good analysis. Just a couple points to add. I have seen Dermy play since he learned how to p*ss. At least 4 times every year in exhibition games and tournaments and on same team for spring hockey. He was always best skater (after McJesus) in virtually every game he played in and that includes Mitch. He was noticeable every game.
He was also always fearless since day 1. He would always give and take a big hit to make a play. For a smaller guy he has a huge heart. Over time as he gets more pro game experience and he fills out a little more i think we are going to have a real gem. Who knows where it goes but a year or two more with Muzzy as his tutor and i think it will make a world of difference.
What's your impression of Vince Dunn? Always thought he and Dermott were pretty comparable.
I'm familiar with him since the Pro Hockey days. Amazing how many guys Hofford groomed.

If the Blues need to move a defenseman the Leafs should be all over Dunn.

For those not familiar, check out the grads Home

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Dermott will get a lot of flak here for his poor start but people are quick to forget he was coming off a major offseason surgery missing the start of the season.

He finished strong and looks to still have top 4 potential. I'd look to ink him to the Carlo deal, maybe a bit less due to the uncertainty of the cap moving forward, to prove himself before making a long term commitment.

My guess is 2years x 2-2.5

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad