GDT: Traverse City Tournament: Detroit Red Winglets vs Dallas Dwarf Stars

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Cholowski has a goal and three assists through five periods so far this tournament, I believe.
I think he last game he was credited with an assist that should have gone to Zadina instead, but 1+2 is still solid. Best player so far imo.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Not a Ryan Martin fan but he had a good intermission interview.

The wings seem pretty high on Smith. Yesterday Holland said Smith could be the new Mccarty, enough skill to play on a top 6 line but be tough to play against. Ryan Martin was saying they think he'll get a call up possibly this year because hes gotten a lot faster and is moving the puck quicker.

They expect Hronek to make the team, he still needs to have a good camp to do it but thats what they told him their expectations are this year in his exit interview. Him, Rasmussen and Cholowski have all moved to Detroit early in the summer to work out with some of the pros and get ready for the year.

Cholowski and Rasmussen have put on a lot of muscle which was expected for them because theyre both gym rats and work hard.

He said most 18 year olds in this tourney just tread water, they consider the calibre of play to be slightly higher than the WJC. Zadina has been an impact player at 18 which makes them think hes NHL ready

Oct 18, 2006
Not a Ryan Martin fan but he had a good intermission interview.

The wings seem pretty high on Smith. Yesterday Holland said Smith could be the new Mccarty, enough skill to play on a top 6 line but be tough to play against. Ryan Martin was saying they think he'll get a call up possibly this year because hes gotten a lot faster and is moving the puck quicker.

They expect Hronek to make the team, he still needs to have a good camp to do it but thats what they told him their expectations are this year in his exit interview. Him, Rasmussen and Cholowski have all moved to Detroit early in the summer to work out with some of the pros and get ready for the year.

Cholowski and Rasmussen have put on a lot of muscle which was expected for them because theyre both gym rats and work hard.

He said most 18 year olds in this tourney just tread water, they consider the calibre of play to be slightly higher than the WJC. Zadina has been an impact player at 18 which makes them think hes NHL ready
Well this is certainly very encouraging to read!

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Did Cholowski get an assist on the empty netter? I feel like he's factored in every goal for the Red Wings this tournament.

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
Cholowski definitely the Wings best player over the first two games. Such a smooth player who always seems to be calm and make the right play. I can't imagine his floor being any lower than 2nd pair. Honestly him and Heiskanen looked pretty on par with each in this particular game.

Zadina was very good as well. Would have liked to see him be more aggressive utilizing his shot. I expect him to be very productive in the AHL right out of the gate.

Veleno looked better this game centering that top line. Might have more upside than I previously thought after only watching a couple of his junior games.

Rasmussen leaves a lot to be desired although he always seems to end up on the score sheet. He obviously is very good in front of the net. He showed some good vision making a couple nice passes both games. Just wish he could use that size and be more of a consistent force with the puck. Not a good sign at this level of competition for such a big guy. But he may be effective enough in his strong areas to carve out a career within the top six. Really don't expect him to be a center in the NHL. But we will see how his game grows in time.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
I'm going to be that guy and say I don't get why people are excited about Fulcher. He's ok. He's serviceable at ECH/AHL back up level but no hype needed. He wasn't really challenged today. Guys were playing better D and blocking way more shots today. He fine for minor league duty not much more. That's for Petrizzelli and Larson to lose.

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
I'm going to be that guy and say I don't get why people are excited about Fulcher. He's ok. He's serviceable at ECH/AHL back up level but no hype needed. He wasn't really challenged today. Guys were playing better D and blocking way more shots today. He fine for minor league duty not much more. That's for Petrizzelli and Larson to lose.
Is there some thing that says hes anything else? the 2 to watch are Harri Sateri, and if he recovers Larsson. Martin said just what you said ECHL bound.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Collected my own Scoring chance data from the 2nd game.

Detroit - Dallas 3-1

Scoring chances:
0 -10min, 4-6
10-20min, 6-5
20-30min, 6-0
30-40min, 6-3
40-50min, 5-5
50-60min, 4-7
Total: 31-26

High-Danger chances: 9-7
Medium-Danger chances: 10-9
Low-Danger chances: 12-10

Player, (Scoring chances) + (Assisted Chances) + Other good play (screen, takeaway etc.)
#27 LW Rasmussen (1+3G+3+1G) + (3+1A+1) + 3 (screens) = 16
#90 C Joe Veleno (1+1+2+1) + (1+1A+2+2) + 2 (block, penalty drawn) = 13
#11 RW Filip Zadina (2+2+2) + (1+2+1A+2) + 3 (takeaway + drawn penalty + good defensive play) = 17
--------------------------------------------------------------
#49 LW Axel Holmström (2+2+3+3) + (zero assisted) + 2 (screens) = 12 (all his chances came from PP on 1st unit)
#70 C Christopher Ehn (3) + (zero assisted) + 2 (one big hit and good play on PK) = 5
#48 RW Givani Smith (2+1) + (2) + 1 (screen) = 6
-------------------------------------------------------
#53 LW Jordan Topping (3) + (2) + 1 (takeaway) = 6
#67 C Brady Gilmour (3) + (1+2+3) + 1 (takeaway) = 10
#58 RW David Pope (3+2+3) + (zero assisted) + 0 = 8
------------------------------------------------------
#64 LW Zach Gallant, (1+1) + (3) + 1 (takeaway) = 6
#81 C Trevor Yates, (0) + (0) + 0 = ZERO (worst of the game)
#76 RW Nicholas Guay, (0) + (2) + 1 (screen) = 3

3 = High-Danger chance/assist
2 = Medium-Danger chance/assist
1 = Low-danger chance/assist

Conclusions:
- Top line doing well, not much help from others.
- Like Axel Holmström, zero chances or good plays on even strength, but was good on PP1 with the top guys.
- Yates, Guay, Topping, Ehn, quite useless guys.
- Never seen Gallant and Gilmour before, so far Gilmour was better.
- David Pope was getting chances from rebounds (not so impressive, anybody can do that), didn't use his shot at all from far distances. Would like to see that more.

Defence, Player, (Scoring chances) + (Assisted Chances) + Other good play (screen, takeaway etc.) + Zone exits (+plus - minus)
#21 LD Dennis Cholowski (1+1+2G) + (2+1+1A+3+2) + 1 (block) + (Exits +4 -0) = 18
#62 RD Trevor Hamilton (zero) + (zero) + 1 (block) + (exits +1 -2) = 0
------------------------------
#63 LD Jared McIsaac, (1) + (3) + 1 (def.takeaway) + (exits +2 -1) = 6
#29 RD Vili Saarijärvi, (2+1) + (zero) + 0 + (exits +5 -2) = 6
------------------------------
#73 RD Marcus Crawford, (zero) + (zero) + 0 + (exits +1 -3) = -2
#50 RD Reilly Webb, (zero) + (1A) + 1 (block) + (exits +1 -0) = 3

- Cholowski just dominates on every area. Already a "lidström-faith", when he has to carry a plug like Hamilton.
- McIsaac is really good passer, reliefs the pressure from D-zone usually with a great pass. But can't his shots through in O-zone, this reminds me of the Tyler Wright words "not a PP defenceman". Was almost mistake-free, but one bad pass lead to Dallas-goal.
- Saarijärvi is somehow problematic. Fantastic skater and makes zone-exits easy that way. But on the offensive zone, nothing kind of happens. Could benefit from better forward linemates, though.
- Crawford, righty on the left size, always on problems.
- Webb was ok. Away from troubles.

- Kaden Fulcher looks like our best goalie prospect. This has been my gut feeling from last season after good OHL season and this game get that feeling stronger.

- Best Dallas player was obviously Heiskanen. I didn't collect points for opposite team as individuals (only team total), but I think he was better than Cholowski. That Calderone guy was also good, but he is already 23-years old.

JoesuffP

Feb 3, 2016
Rasmussen is going to finish the tournament as the Wings best player. What must this man do to win fans over? His game last night is what we want from him

I think Ras and Cholo are very underrated prospects around the league and that keeps people from being optimistic about their potential

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Rasmussen is going to finish the tournament as the Wings best player. What must this man do to win fans over? His game last night is what we want from him

I think Ras and Cholo are very underrated prospects around the league and that keeps people from being optimistic about their potential
He’s quite solid. People underestimate what an impact that kind of size, skating and hockey ability combines into.

3 points after 2 games and could have had more with some luck. Necas 1 point after 2 games and Vilardi still out injured. Just prospect tournament but Ras keeps producing.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
He’s quite solid. People underestimate what an impact that kind of size, skating and hockey ability combines into.

3 points after 2 games and could have had more with some luck. Necas 1 point after 2 games and Vilardi still out injured. Just prospect tournament but Ras keeps producing.

Whenever I look for Vilardi updates, I usually find the bolded. Who-knows what kind of NHL career he'll carve out having injury issues, but I sure am glad KH didn't pick him. This reminds me of the Abdelkader vs. Latendresse debate all over again. Latendresse being a potential 25 goal scoring had a short NHL career due to constant injury issues while Abby goes on to have a solid NHL career and lifted the Stanley Cup.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA

I think Zadina has been the standout by a fair margin, especially because hes D+0 still. I tend to expect the first rounders that are D+1/D+2 to be good, and take a lack of dominance as a problem rather than dominating meaning much. That being said, they haven't looked out of place vis a vis their age, draft position and how they performed to dated, but will be much more interested in assessing Cholo in the AHL, and Ras in whichever league he ends up in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad