Traverse City Prospects Tournament 2019

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Who else is going?

Any recommendations on which hotel to stay at?

I went with my dad last year and had a great time, but went into it with virtually zero knowledge of the city, looking for touristy stuff to do in the mornings and good restaurants to hit up, etc.

Interesting to see Toronto going this year, would like to see some of their young guys play in person for the first time.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Who else is going?

1.) Any recommendations on which hotel to stay at?

2.) I went with my dad last year and had a great time, but went into it with virtually zero knowledge of the city, looking for touristy stuff to do in the mornings and good restaurants to hit up, etc.

Interesting to see Toronto going this year, would like to see some of their young guys play in person for the first time.

1.) Grand Traverse Resort and Spa. It's expensive. Otherwise, look at the Park Place (it's downtown TC). Fairfield is close to Centre Ice and will have the best pricing on rooms.

2.) Depends on what you like to do. I grew up and lived in TC for the better part of 33 years, just moved to Florida a couple months ago. Do you like wineries? TC has the best wineries in the US, hands down. Walking downtown TC on Front Street, is also a ton of fun. Soooo many tourist shops and eateries. If you don't mind driving a bit, 45 mins West are the Sleeping Bear Dunes, heavily regarded as some of the most beautiful scenery in the world (people from all over the world stay in TC just to go to the Dunes).

Restauraunts to check out:
Morning/Breakfast - Flap Jack Shack or Bubbas
Lunch/Dinner - Northpeak ($), Apache Trout Grille ($$), Aerie (Top of Grand Traverse Resort $$$$), Amical ($$), The Franklin ($$$), Slab Town ($, gravvy fries FTW), and The Filling Station ($-$$)

Breweries - Brewery Terra Firma, Workshop Brewing Company , Right Brain Brewery, and Left Foot Charlie (wines and ciders).

Any other questions, let me know!

lhsgolf19

Oct 4, 2016
Birmingham, MI
I'm fascinated to see who's gonna play

Zadina, Veleno, Seider, Lindstrom, Regula, Larsson, I wonder who else... Does Rasmussen play? Does Kaski play?

Sadly none of the euros are gonna play since the season is starting overseas, also none of the college guys either (Mastrosimone, Phllips, Barton, etc)

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Do you like wineries? TC has the best wineries in the US, hands down.
That's a hyperbole, but certainly the best wineries east of the Rockies. Michigan doesn't quite have the microclimates necessary to grow varieties of grapes like Napa Valley. If you like easy to drink wines like Rieslings, then yeah, MI has a good selection, but nothing complex at all that I'm aware of. You rarely find MI wines outside of the Midwest.

Agree with all of your other points, and it was nice of you to give advice. I don't know if the salmon are running yet, but there's a lot of places to fish up there as well. Not real fond of the Boardman which runs through the city, but I've fished every Lake Michigan river and creek on Leelanau peninsula down south to the Muskegon. Even the creeks that aren't stocked with salmon will have some naturally reproducing fish. Also some decent bass and pike fishing this time of year in the inland lakes.

I live in WA now, but one of my best friends had a cabin near Interlochen.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
That's a hyperbole, but certainly the best wineries east of the Rockies. Michigan doesn't quite have the microclimates necessary to grow varieties of grapes like Napa Valley. If you like easy to drink wines like Rieslings, then yeah, MI has a good selection, but nothing complex at all that I'm aware of. You rarely find MI wines outside of the Midwest.

Agree with all of your other points, and it was nice of you to give advice. I don't know if the salmon are running yet, but there's a lot of places to fish up there as well. Not real fond of the Boardman which runs through the city, but I've fished every Lake Michigan river and creek on Leelanau peninsula down south to the Muskegon. Even the creeks that aren't stocked with salmon will have some naturally reproducing fish. Also some decent bass and pike fishing this time of year in the inland lakes.

I live in WA now, but one of my best friends had a cabin near Interlochen.
Agree to disagree then. Having worked at upscale resorts in Traverse City, I am told often how the wineries in TC are substantially better than Napa (my roommates fiance and all her friends just got back from Napa for a bachelorette party, they all agree TC has the better wineries). I could go on and on about being bias with empirical data (because I know I am), but as long as we agree it has amazing wine, then I think that should be the main point :)

About the fishing, it's always hard to tell what's going on these days due to climate change :/

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Agree to disagree then. Having worked at upscale resorts in Traverse City, I am told often how the wineries in TC are substantially better than Napa (my roommates fiance and all her friends just got back from Napa for a bachelorette party, they all agree TC has the better wineries). I could go on and on about being bias with empirical data (because I know I am), but as long as we agree it has amazing wine, then I think that should be the main point :)

About the fishing, it's always hard to tell what's going on these days due to climate change :/
When you talk about things like wine, it's a matter of taste and personal preference. I wouldn't use anectdotal evidence, I have a whole bunch of friends who drink box wine. I've noticed that the casual wine drinker prefers sweeter wines as well, and I can't stand most of them. A dry Riesling is as much sweetness as I can tolerate. Don't want to create a thread drift, so I will also agree to disagree and leave it at that.

Invasive species, primarily zebra and quagga mussels have caused more issues so far than climate change for MI salmon which ironically were introduced to control another invasive species, the alewife. Not sure what the salmon runs will look like in MI, but they've pretty much cancelled salmon season in WA due to low returns. Climate change is more of an issue for naturally reproducing salmon, and on top of that we have both commercial and tribal gill netting.

Obe2kenobe

Mar 23, 2014
U.P.
Who else is going?

Any recommendations on which hotel to stay at?

I went with my dad last year and had a great time, but went into it with virtually zero knowledge of the city, looking for touristy stuff to do in the mornings and good restaurants to hit up, etc.

I'm not going to prospects tournament. But have been going to training camp the last few years. If you have time sleeping bear dunes was named the most beautiful spot in America a few years back. And "Moomers" ice cream was voted best ice cream in America. Hit them both in the same day once and would recommend both of them highly.

solo16

Nov 22, 2007
CT
1.) Grand Traverse Resort and Spa. It's expensive. Otherwise, look at the Park Place (it's downtown TC). Fairfield is close to Centre Ice and will have the best pricing on rooms.

2.) Depends on what you like to do. I grew up and lived in TC for the better part of 33 years, just moved to Florida a couple months ago. Do you like wineries? TC has the best wineries in the US, hands down. Walking downtown TC on Front Street, is also a ton of fun. Soooo many tourist shops and eateries. If you don't mind driving a bit, 45 mins West are the Sleeping Bear Dunes, heavily regarded as some of the most beautiful scenery in the world (people from all over the world stay in TC just to go to the Dunes).

Restauraunts to check out:
Morning/Breakfast - Flap Jack Shack or Bubbas
Lunch/Dinner - Northpeak ($), Apache Trout Grille ($$), Aerie (Top of Grand Traverse Resort $$$$), Amical ($$), The Franklin ($$$), Slab Town ($, gravvy fries FTW), and The Filling Station ($-$$)

Breweries - Brewery Terra Firma, Workshop Brewing Company , Right Brain Brewery, and Left Foot Charlie (wines and ciders).

Any other questions, let me know!
Guy needs to become a travel agent. It's your calling. Obviously a homer but now I wanna go to TC.

WesNichols14

Nov 22, 2011
Port Huron Michigan
I'm going to be at day 2 of Training camp and the Red and White game! we're staying at the Great Wolf Lodge which was pretty pricey. (its our last break before we buckle down for the rest of the year in prep for our wedding, and honeymoon)

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

mikerooooose

Nov 7, 2009
Michigan
If it's nice outside, I like Little Fleet. Lots of food trucks in one outdoor eating area. Bar inside with good beers. Great place to enjoy a nice day. http://www.thelittlefleet.com

It's located on the far east end of the walkable/downtown part of Front street. So it's also a good location to take a walk downtown before/after. Parking is also good in the neighborhood just south of it.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
When you talk about things like wine, it's a matter of taste and personal preference. I wouldn't use anectdotal evidence, I have a whole bunch of friends who drink box wine. I've noticed that the casual wine drinker prefers sweeter wines as well, and I can't stand most of them. A dry Riesling is as much sweetness as I can tolerate. Don't want to create a thread drift, so I will also agree to disagree and leave it at that.

Invasive species, primarily zebra and quagga mussels have caused more issues so far than climate change for MI salmon which ironically were introduced to control another invasive species, the alewife. Not sure what the salmon runs will look like in MI, but they've pretty much cancelled salmon season in WA due to low returns. Climate change is more of an issue for naturally reproducing salmon, and on top of that we have both commercial and tribal gill netting.
How else are you going to play slap the bag?

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Also I am from Ontario and spend most of my time in Ontario - any specific American restaurants (fast food or otherwise) that I should take advantage of while I'm stateside? Planning on stopping at Tony's on i75 on my way up because everyone says it is amazing.

This could be sort of all of the east end of Michigan/ any town along the highway, but also specific to TC area if you know the good stuff in around there

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Traverse City has a lot of breweries now and I know there are tours you can sign up for. I like to air bnb there because its a vacation spot lots of people have open timeshare condos and I feel like you can get a nicer spot walking distance to downtown for cheaper or same as a hotel. There are also a couple of camp grounds.

If you like the small-town scene Empire Village beech is one of Michigan's nicest views and the sleeping bear dunes are just down the road. Glenn Arbor is also decent stop with a restaurant or two. The friendly tavern in Empire has a great burger.

I have not looked into it myself but there are huge hopps farms up there now for growing hopps for brewing and they might have tours if you are into that sort of thing

If you are big into fishing or sailing might want to reserve a charter or rental for the bay.

If you like fine dining the Boathouse is probably the best and I recommend reservations to get a good view of the bay. Mode's Bum Steer is one of Traver's cities oldest family-owned restaurants and has a decent steak and seafood menu and bar. I have seen the GM's and coaches go hear after the games. It was my one chance to tell Holland off but I kept my mouth shut because that would be seriously rude. :)

Always a good time and you will bump elbows in the stands with some big hockey personalities.

Reactions: Gniwder

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Traverse City has a lot of breweries now and I know there are tours you can sign up for. I like to air bnb there because its a vacation spot lots of people have open timeshare condos and I feel like you can get a nicer spot walking distance to downtown for cheaper or same as a hotel. There are also a couple of camp grounds.

If you like the small-town scene Empire Village beech is one of Michigan's nicest views and the sleeping bear dunes are just down the road. Glenn Arbor is also decent stop with a restaurant or two. The friendly tavern in Empire has a great burger.

I have not looked into it myself but there are huge hopps farms up there now for growing hopps for brewing and they might have tours if you are into that sort of thing

If you are big into fishing or sailing might want to reserve a charter or rental for the bay.

If you like fine dining the Boathouse is probably the best and I recommend reservations to get a good view of the bay. Mode's Bum Steer is one of Traver's cities oldest family-owned restaurants and has a decent steak and seafood menu and bar. I have seen the GM's and coaches go hear after the games. It was my one chance to tell Holland off but I kept my mouth shut because that would be seriously rude. :)

Always a good time and you will bump elbows in the stands with some big hockey personalities.
I'm only saying this to annoy @Gniwder , but Traverse City has the best breweries in the universe. Check out the places I mentioned and you will NOT be disappointed.

Reactions: Gniwder

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I'm only saying this to annoy @Gniwder , but Traverse City has the best breweries in the universe. Check out the places I mentioned and you will NOT be disappointed.
LOL, you can't troll me on beer, I only drink Guinness. I don't want a bag of potpourri (hops) in my beer.

I don't drink anything with carbonation anymore, bad for your bones and teeth, plus I'm old so it gives me heartburn. I will try anything on nitro tap though, if you have any suggestions in TC. (I won't be visiting until next year though.)

Let me know if you're ever in WA state, Bellingham has the second best breweries in the universe. (Not really, but there are some decent ones.)

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Excited to see Kakko and Fox at this tournament, should be two of the higher profile and more NHL ready guys there out of all the teams

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Excited to see Kakko and Fox at this tournament, should be two of the higher profile and more NHL ready guys there out of all the teams
Fox is 21 with three years of college experience. It would be very concerning if he can't dominate a tournament largely of 18 and 19 year olds.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Fox is 21 with three years of college experience. It would be very concerning if he can't dominate a tournament largely of 18 and 19 year olds.

There were a couple of guys who were in the 24/25/26 range last year, albeit lower profile players than Fox - its an interesting mix of players for sure

For example, Jordan Greenway looked like Lindros on most shifts in TC last fall but didn't really accomplish too much statistically in the NHL this year

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI

IMO, Boone's is better than Mode's, it just isn't downtown.

Reactions: Retire91

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Kaapo is gonna destroy everybody so badly on this tournament. It's not even fair. :P

He already manhandled Ryan Suter at WHC, so against these kids...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad