Traverse City Prospect Tournament 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
The New York Rangers, Red Wings, Blackhawks, Hurricanes, Blue Jackets, Stars, Wild and Blues will be participating in the 2018 Traverse City Tournament beginning on September 7.

Forwards.

Nothing confirmed yet, but I think guys like Gropp, Ronning, Howden, Fontaine, Lindqvist, and Meskanen are most likely going. I don't know about Chytil and Andersson.

9th overall Vitali Kravtsov begins his KHL season late August, so he won't be apart of the tournament

Defense

Nothing confirmed yet. I'd like to see Hajek and Lindgren go.

Whoever goes, this group should be a lot more exciting with a faster roster than the 2017 team.

NHL Prospect Tournament

Gordie Howe Division
Ted Lindsay Division
CAROLINA HURRICANES
DALLAS STARS
COLUMBUS BLUE JACKETS
DETROIT RED WINGS
CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS
MINNESOTA WILD
ST. LOUIS BLUES
NEW YORK RANGERS
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

TimeHomeVisitor
FRIDAY SEPTEMBER 7
7:00PMDALLAS STARSNEW YORK RANGERS
SATURDAY SEPTEMBER 8
6:30PMNEW YORK RANGERSMINNESOTA WILD
MONDAY SEPTEMBER 10
4:00PMNEW YORK RANGERSDETROIT RED WINGS
TUESDAY SEPTEMBER 11
3:00PM - 7TH PLACE GAME4TH LINDSAY4TH HOWE
3:30PM - 5TH PLACE GAME3RD HOWE3RD LINDSAY
6:30PM - 3RD PLACE GAME2ND LINDSAY2ND HOWE
7:00PM - CHAMPIONSHIP GAME1ST HOWE1ST LINDSAY
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

I don't know if it's too early to start the thread or not, but I didn't see anything posted about it and I know some fans get really excited for this tournament.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ola and Inferno

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
hopefully we finally win this damn tournament. With the talent we will have it will be embarrassing if we don't.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I'd like us to do well. I mean it's better than doing poorly. Winning it would be nice but it ain't the Stanley Cup by a long shot. I think we could put a pretty good team together if we feel like it.

Alexandar Georgiev--maybe.

Ryan Lindgren
Libor Hajek
Brandon Crawley-maybe
Sean Day
Joey Keane
Nico Gross

Brett Howden
Lias Andersson-maybe
Filip Chytil-maybe
Ville Meskanen
Michael Lindqvist
Ty Ronning
Tim Gettinger
Vinni Lettieri-maybe
Ryan Gropp-maybe
Gabriel Fontaine-maybe
Dawson Leedahl-maybe
Drew Melanson
Jason Salvaggio

Reactions: Cag29

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
hopefully we finally win this damn tournament. With the talent we will have it will be embarrassing if we don't.

Depends on who goes.

In theory,our 1-4 prospects, along with our 7-12 prospects won't or might not be there. You might be looking at as few as 4 of our top 15 prospects playing.

Last edited:

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I'm going to say it now so no one accuses me (again) of making excuses for players or anything like that: I don't really care about TC. There are certain guys that are there that I would expect to look dominant (for instance if we sent Andersson or Pionk or someone) and if they didn't it would be slightly concerning. But that's really it. I don't put much stock into this.

I know some scouts an some front offices do put stock into these prospect tournaments. If nothing else, it might alter perceptions heading into camp. But otherwise, it just doesn't matter to me. It's a bunch of guys that barely know each other in many circumstances, often who have never played with each other, in a short tournament where guys are rotated in and out of the lineup each game. It's just really hard to draw any substantial conclusions.

The tournament is a fun little thing but that's all I really see it is. I may be the minority, but whatever. Camp and preseason are where guys win or lose spots and really boost or lower their stock. Not here.

Also I believe last year the roster came out right at the very end of the month.

Reactions: Rangers_23

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
While I largely agree I do think that you can learn something about some players, particularly the guys who are not at the top of your prospect list or who are on tryouts. For example, two seasons ago I went to a game in Hershey where I saw Robin Kovacs play. It's hard to describe just how bad he was. But there were lots of excuses for Kovacs, he's young and immature, Hartford's a bad team, he has to adjust to the smaller ice. And there were stories over the summer about his rededication. So I was interested to see how Kovacs would do at Traverse City. Any improvement at Traverse City? -- not so much. And a few weeks later he is completely gone -- a total bust. But not much of a surprise to me.

So when I watch I am hoping the team wins and looking to see if there are lower prospects who might show that they have some game. But I agree that three weeks after the tournament, it will have had relatively little impact.

I'm going to say it now so no one accuses me (again) of making excuses for players or anything like that: I don't really care about TC. There are certain guys that are there that I would expect to look dominant (for instance if we sent Andersson or Pionk or someone) and if they didn't it would be slightly concerning. But that's really it. I don't put much stock into this.

I know some scouts an some front offices do put stock into these prospect tournaments. If nothing else, it might alter perceptions heading into camp. But otherwise, it just doesn't matter to me. It's a bunch of guys that barely know each other in many circumstances, often who have never played with each other, in a short tournament where guys are rotated in and out of the lineup each game. It's just really hard to draw any substantial conclusions.

The tournament is a fun little thing but that's all I really see it is. I may be the minority, but whatever. Camp and preseason are where guys win or lose spots and really boost or lower their stock. Not here.

Also I believe last year the roster came out right at the very end of the month.

Reactions: nyr2k2

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

Yeah, and like, of course it matters how they look in Traverse. Either you are good at hockey or you are not. But we need not look further than at Buch being destroyed by many for his play Traverse only to make the NHL team a few weeks after being labeled a sure fire bust...

A good hockey game can only be played if it rest on certain pillars. A forward must get pucks from Ds/his center. A D needs support. Basic stuff. The player himself must also be capable enough in a bunch of areas. Pulling away one of those pillars may — or may not — be enough to tear a player’s entire game down. It’s the same thing for a team. We could send a team with many great players there, but if one thing is missing it could make the team suck for 5 games.

My point is just, there are extremely many circumstances that can impact — the results — at Traverse that has no impact on if the kids we have there are good NHL prospects of not. But normally the reactions are the complete opposite, we give up one goal and the board explodes ‘whooo the f*** is No 56 he is the worst ever why didn’t he clear the zone’ lol. Kids should make mistakes, otherwise they are not trying.

Reactions: will1066 and nyr2k2

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
So Detroit's sending two guys who played in the AHL pretty much the entirety of last year and Carolina's sending four. I have an idea the Rangers will be in the 3-4 range anyway--maybe more. I don't see a good reason not to play either Chytil or Andersson. If they don't bring Georgiev--they're probably going to bring two tryout goalies. Pionk I don't think will be there. The Rangers will have plenty of D and he's older and on the cusp. You'd definitely want Lindgren, Hajek and Keane and Gross will be a CHL'er and Day a first year pro. They all make sense. Crawley makes sense too as do Meskanen, Lindqvist and Howden, Ronning and Gettinger.

FoxysExpensiveNYDigs

Boo Nieves Truther
Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Caring about winning TC is foolish IMO. All of these kids have never played together and the quality of the hockey is very poor. Hard to judge anything based off of this tourney. It's good experience and a first look at newly acquired prospects.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Depends on who goes.

In theory,our 1-4 prospects, along with our 7-12 prospects won't or might not be there. You might be looking at as little as 4 of our top 15 prospects playing.

True, and also depends who the goalie is. And also we likely have a huge disadvantage in the coaching department, our AHL coach is likely better than Gernander clown, but still not great.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
BS... the other teams have the same issues... don’t play together, don’t know each other, their top prospects are elsewhere... yada yada...

Hope we look good FOR ONCE

Don’t care if we win or not but these prospects, wherever they fall on our depth chart, better start looking good or we are fooling ourselves that our system is strong again.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
BS... the other teams have the same issues... don’t play together, don’t know each other, their top prospects are elsewhere... yada yada...

Don’t care if we win or not but these prospects, wherever they fall on our depth chart, better start looking good or we are fooling ourselves that our system is strong again.

Of course. That's why I wouldn't expect fans of other teams to care about this either. But they do, like ours do, so whatever.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

Within reason.

Many of the Rangers top prospects are already playing in pro leagues across the globe, or playing in college.

I just don't think it's necessarily an apples to apples conversations --- depending on if certain guys are not on the roster.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Within reason.

Many of the Rangers top prospects are already playing in pro leagues across the globe, or playing in college.

I just don't think it's necessarily an apples to apples conversations --- depending on if certain guys are not on the roster.
Totally fair but even if we have our 15th best kid he’s playing against their 15th best kid for the most part.

Svech and Dahlin aren’t playing. I’d like to see us not be bitches again.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Totally fair but even if we have our 15th best kid he’s playing against their 15th best kid for the most part.

Svech and Dahlin aren’t playing. I’d like to see us not be *****es again.

Let's assume for a moment the Rangers are without their 1-4 prospects, and their 7-12. That's a pretty big piece of the pie to be missing.

So yes, our 15th might play against their 15th-20th.

But the talent at the higher end of the system might not be a good match, even with other teams super-elite prospects playing.

In that scenario, you'd essentially have a first line of Howden playing with some combination of Ronning, Meskanen and Lindqvist, and maybe Halverson in goal? Probably a few prospects further away on RD?

I mean obviously we don't know one way or the other yet. But I think there's a pretty big spectrum of expectations depending on who is or isn't playing.

Get Andersson, Chytil, Georgiev and others into the mix and expectations are pretty high. Take all of them out, and expectations become a bit more modest.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Halverson has two years as a pro already. I don't think he'd be eligible. Nell I suppose is a possibility. I've pretty much given up hope on either.
IDK what the eligibility rules are. They're pretty full between the pipes, though--Hank, Georgiev, Mazanec, Nell, Halverson. Shestyorkin on the way, Huska in two years. Wall maybe. So who knows if they're looking to invite anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad