Traverse City 2018 - CBJ style

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Perhaps I need to pay more attention to TFW. Seemed like he had a good tournament. Good for Vigneault, who I think can make a push. Stenlund looks like he'll be a force if he can keep it all together and stay healthy.

Good for the baby CBJ and their win. Hopefully the momentum comes to camp with them.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
So which of the free agents get invited to training camp?

I don't know how many can be invited - Porty mentioned that Torts needs a certain number, and no higher, to run the drills efficiently. But a lot of guys deserve it.

I didn't get a good read on the D-men. Wade is tough as hell, Prapavessis looked good at the point, Sambrook seemed decent at everything. Texeira was the one guy that was making bad decisions. If I knew the numbers better it would help.

For the forwards, Moskal was really good and tenacious on the puck. Him and Asselin were good at forcing turnovers, though they never managed to do anything once they got it. Those two I'd like to invite.

CBJ goalie

May 19, 2005
London, Ontario
I get it, it was his first ‘pro’ season but..
Kivlenieks’ stat line last season was brutal.

3.21 GAA0.891 save percentage
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
He’ll need to prove a lot more this upcoming season in the A to me, for me to say “I have assurance for the CBJ between the pipes in the future”.. being the winning goalie of a prospect tournament isn’t gonna do it. (Not to be a debbie downer).

Also, that last goal by Fix was naaasty.

Great tourney win baby jackets!! (CBJ CBJ)

Quality, not quantity.
Stats don't always tell the story.

Besides, saves like this get me excited...

Check out @BlueJacketsNHL’s Tweet:

Hugh Mongusbig

Mar 7, 2012
Yeah if he'd been seriously hurt the accusations of gooning it up in a prospect tournament might have had some merit.

Yeah, not a good look when an undrafted almost 25 yo old FA invitee (plug) goes after a skilled 18 yo top pick with a dirty hit like that. Glad Zadina was OK.

PelleLindbergh

Feb 13, 2018
with the recent signing of Riley Nash, and a reasonable arrival time of maybe 1 to 2 years out, do you see Stenlund playing on the wing when he is called up or 4th line C to start out?

major major

Feb 18, 2013
with the recent signing of Riley Nash, and a reasonable arrival time of maybe 1 to 2 years out, do you see Stenlund playing on the wing when he is called up or 4th line C to start out?

He's such a center. And too plodding to to be good on the wing.

My guess is that Dubinsky is bought out a year from now, and Stenlund would be in the running to take that 4C spot. Probably only about 10 minutes a night total including second PP unit, but he can develop on that.

If it's just 4C, and PK is more of a need than PP, then Sam Vigneault might have an advantage to win that job. He doesn't have the hands but he's much quicker.

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
I'm a Stenlund fan, but he's so far ahead development-wise from the kids he was playing against.

A few games at wing isn't a bad idea, but I think he needs to develop as a center in the AHL where he's getting a lot of ice time in all situations and with the mindset of being a 1st line offensive-minded player as he adjusts to North America. So many Swedes coming over to NA get focused on trying to adapt to the physical play and defensive systems and playing on the 4th line with Torts yelling about mistakes might reinforce that type of defense first mindset.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Yeah, not a good look when an undrafted almost 25 yo old FA invitee (plug) goes after a skilled 18 yo top pick with a dirty hit like that. Glad Zadina was OK.

Well this "plug" that's played 3+ years at a top NCAA program just earned himself an NHL training camp and will more than likely be signed to an AHL deal. He's an aggressive defensive defenseman. Playing the way he DOES and DID this past weekend is literally HOW he's able to BE a professional hockey player.

Hockey is a contact sport. This was a camp for the highest league on the planet. And it wasn't even a BAD hit in ANY way. For f***s sake it was a hand "injury", and he missed 1 damn shift.

(mod)

Last edited by a moderator:

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I'm a Stenlund fan, but he's so far ahead development-wise from the kids he was playing against.

A few games at wing isn't a bad idea, but I think he needs to develop as a center in the AHL where he's getting a lot of ice time in all situations and with the mindset of being a 1st line offensive-minded player as he adjusts to North America. So many Swedes coming over to NA get focused on trying to adapt to the physical play and defensive systems and playing on the 4th line with Torts yelling about mistakes might reinforce that type of defense first mindset.

I agree as far as offensive mindset goes, but 4th lines are changing as we speak. If a team can get 3 highly skilled players on a 4th line, they will. A year or so from now, if and when he makes it, Stenlund's wingers could be talents like Duclair and Milano. If they get 10+ minutes a night they could provide some offensive value.

We talk more about this or that top liner scoring ten more points than some guy on another team, and the value that brings. But if you have a 4th line where all 3 guys are scoring 5+ points compared to their counterparts, that's huge.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137

I agree as far as offensive mindset goes, but 4th lines are changing as we speak. If a team can get 3 highly skilled players on a 4th line, they will. A year or so from now, if and when he makes it, Stenlund's wingers could be talents like Duclair and Milano. If they get 10+ minutes a night they could provide some offensive value.

We talk more about this or that top liner scoring ten more points than some guy on another team, and the value that brings. But if you have a 4th line where all 3 guys are scoring 5+ points compared to their counterparts, that's huge.

Agree with both of these. Let Stenlund get big minutes in Cleveland this year and get a taste with some injury callups, and if he's good enough, he'll stick.

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA

The CBJ absolutely need to roll 4 lines and get the 4th line contributing. They can't just count on the 1st line to score, but even if Stenlund deserves to be on the 4th line, if he's in the AHL on the 1st line he plays in all situations. But at a level he can handle. On the 4th line when down by a goal, he probably doesn't see the ice. In the AHL on the 1st line, then he needs to go out there and make something happen.

It's just developing players offensively, rather than only worrying about if the Euro players can adapt to play defensively and without the puck in NA. The CBJ absolutely need to learn how to develop offensive talent and I see a player like Stenlund ending up limited offensively because he's so concerned about impressing the coaching staff with his play defensively.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
It's just developing players offensively, rather than only worrying about if the Euro players can adapt to play defensively and without the puck in NA. The CBJ absolutely need to learn how to develop offensive talent and I see a player like Stenlund ending up limited offensively because he's so concerned about impressing the coaching staff with his play defensively.

I disagree. You don't say they can't develop offensive talent, but you imply it.

Look at what Jarmo has done since he moved into the GM seat.
1. Hired a skating coach.
2. Hired a skills coach.
3. Hired a director of high performance.

This has played a role of resulting in;
a. 2 consecutive playoff appearances (in a row) - the first time in franchise history.
b. A 10 game winning streak last season. (without regard to the previous season, this would be a franchise best)
c. A 16 game winning streak the prior season (that has only happened one other time in the 100 years of the league).

Read Alison Lukan's entry today in the Athletic. Nelson Ayotte has developed a system to chart and track where "speed" comes from and more specifically how to determine when the body begins to fatigue and compensate. This is cutting edge. She as much as said that no other NHL team (or any team for that matter) has employed such science.

You might say that's not enough for you. You might say this is all crap. You might say it's just re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. And I recognize your right to your opinion. I just disagree.

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
I disagree. You don't say they can't develop offensive talent, but you imply it.

Look at the goals scored by Cleveland. Where is the offense? Why can't a player like Daniel Zaar develop into an offensive player? The mindset that Sedlak has talked about is likely part of the issue - players are so focused on proving they can play defensively that they aren't even considering trying to actually score.

Will Stenlund end up like Zaar and back in Sweden in 2 years? End up as a 3rd line shutdown center as a lot expect? Or a 2nd line center who can contribute offensively?

The track record with Wennberg doesn't suggest he's going to end up reaching that potential.

As a smaller market team, the CBJ has to develop their own skilled forwards. Torts and the coaching staff mainly focusing on the defensive issues prospects (whether from NA or Europe) have is one of the issues.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I'm going with JFW here. Other than Cam I can't think of another above average offensive F the Jackets have developed. PLD has promise. Milano, Bjorkstrand, Anderson, Wennberg, all come to mind has guys who haven't shown much offensive development imo.

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
Look at the goals scored by Cleveland. Where is the offense?

The offense is in Columbus. After winning the Calder Cup trophy, they gutted that team. Name - Games played - Goals from that Championship Regular season

Anderson - 58 - 18
Milano - 54 - 14
Bjorkstrand - 51 - 17
Hannikainen - 50 - 7
Sedlak - 54 - 14

Werenski 17 - 5 (playoffs totals only - he finished his sophomore year at Michigan during regular season)

Totals 284 - 79

I don't know about Daniel Zaar, and I'll admit I don't know why he is not in the NHL. You support your point by citing Wenneberg's play/development. Okay, maybe you are correct.

Just for fun.......How did those 6 players do for the CBJ last year? Was the offense really n Columbus??

Anderson - 63 - 19
Milano - 55 - 14
Bjorkstrand - 82 - 11
Hannikainen - 33 - 3
Sedlak - 53 - 4
Werenski - 77 - 16

Totals 363 - 67 That's 28 % of the 238 goals that the team scored last year.

Maybe you expect each level of the organization to compete for championships each year. Okay...that's fine. I don't. I'm not certain what you expect "numbers wise" but I'm happy with the skill development efforts, and the training methods and application of the science.

Yea, I wish they had Karlsson's 43 goals last year. Yea, I wish each year a PLD would breakthrough and look dominant. Yea, I wish Wenneberg put up 32-38-70. I'm just willing to give this all some more time to gel. They are still one of the youngest teams in the league.

Reactions: thebus88

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Maybe its because Zaar simply wasn't good enough. The dude was what a 6th rounder? The NHL/AHL are not only better than most leagues in "Europe" (NHL>KHL>/=AHL=SHL=FEL) but YES the hockey IS different. Its IS more physical and more compact because of the size of the ice. Nearly every decision has to be made "much" quicker than on international ice. Guys will "fit" better in different/"lesser" league for multiple reasons. Lets also not act like this is some thing exclusive to the CBJ. There's plenty of "failed"/"skilled" guys in the AHL and ALL OVER Europe that have as much offensive "skill" as SOME guys in the NHL. But, goals against are just as important as goals scored. The "skilled" players in the NHL, even those with negative reputations defensively, STILL understand they need to commit on ALL ends of the ice, or they wont get ice time, whether they're from Saskatoon or Stockholm.

Bjorkstrand, Anderson and Wennberg are all perfectly fine NHL players. They also are vastly different players. They are also a mid 1st, a 3rd, and a 4th round pick. Frankly, everybody knows I have "mixed feelings" on Wennberg, but, Borkstrand was an excellent draft choice and has been "developed" VERY WELL imo, for being a smaller/skilled European. Last year was his 2ND PRO YEAR for f***s sake. We haven't had essentially ANY "top" picks in recent memory, that are the vast majority of "skilled" young NHL players that have "developed". Other than Dubois, of course. 2019 and on, Dubois is better than Johansen, 100%. Literally not much of a difference, last year.

Also find it interesting that the concept of DEFENSEMAN is ignored when we talk about "development".

The goal in the NHL is to win hockey games, not score the most goals as possible. You teach and develop your team and prospects in a way that you feel best highlights each others attributes while at the same time attempt to realize weaknesses and correct them.

Fire NOBODY!!

BRICK BY BRICK BITCHES!!

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I'm going with JFW here. Other than Cam I can't think of another above average offensive F the Jackets have developed. PLD has promise. Milano, Bjorkstrand, Anderson, Wennberg, all come to mind has guys who haven't shown much offensive development imo.
Well, there was this one guy in particular, but he's not on the team anymore; we traded him for a blueline prospect.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
trouble.gif

;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad