Traverse City 2018 - CBJ style

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
See above. Stenlund and Sherwood putting on a show.

Ya I see that now. Seems you guys might have been in the "past" a bit. Or idk. My 3rd JUST started.

Like Sherwood also. Looks like a more "skilled"/agile young Hartnell.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
All-in-all, after seeing what I saw, I'd rate the CBJ Traverse City Prospects as.... 'SUSTAINABLE'.

I can see a championship game berth.

:teach2:

For real though. Only a few games but MANY players look quite good. Some FA's and the older "pro's" especially.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I was impressed by Stenlund. You could tell on the PP he's the guy who slows everything down. There was a lot of hustle on this prospect squad and not a lot of slowing things down. I don't know why Stenlund's assist totals were always so low in Sweden. He's got great hands and vision - I know these summer tournaments don't count for much, but sometimes the SHL numbers aren't indicative of what players end up doing in North America.

Sherwood has the skill, we already knew that. I like his physique for the game. He threw a couple hits, which makes me wonder if he could get more of a mean streak.

The forwards must be good to win 3 in a row with that group behind them. I didn't like any of the D to be honest. Matiss "Kleenex" was good in net.

Vigneault looks like a good all around smart player. Robinson good defensive hustle. Both of those guys look like they could crack the NHL squad with a little luck.

Davidsson and Fortier didn't have great games. Neither did Foudy. I didn't see anything from Fortier that made me think he's quicker or more skilled than Sherwood (this was a debate we had during prospect voting).

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Congrats to the baby CBJ. Not the most impressive roster, but its good to see our big guns (short of Foudy) are impressing. Vigneault could make a real push in camp.

The Wheelchair

Jun 13, 2015
Ottawa
Stenlund was pretty clearly best on the ice for me. Soft hands, great vision, slick playmaking. Needs to use his size more and it really wouldn't hurt if he were quicker, but he was thinking the game three steps ahead of every one of Carolina's players tonight. He and Sherwood had some good chemistry, and he looked good in front of the net on the PP. Sherwood basically had about the best possible game for his skill set, finding soft spots in the defense and waiting for Stenlund to find him. I think Fix-Wolansky was the third guy on that line, and, well, he's very fast. Didn't really get a chance to do much other than use that speed on the forecheck, but he did that effectively.

I kind of lost Vigneault at times, which was surprising considering you'd think he'd stand out with his size. But there were some moments that jumped out at me, particularly one no-look pass into the slot from the end boards. Didn't lead to a goal, but it very well could have. The faceoff goal was slick. I'd give Korostelev a look in Cleveland based on his play tonight (and Madden seemed to really like his game Saturday).

Foudy and Davidsson had some moments. Davidsson's release is lightning quick and he looks like can score from anywhere at any time. He didn't tonight, but he had several chances, mostly set up by Foudy. I also thought Fortier showed something, although he was quiet for most of the night. He had one great play on the back-check where he broke up a cross-crease pass that would've been an easy goal. I think he's a bit shiftier than Sherwood, though Kole might have better straight-line speed.

The guy I really wanted to see more from was Robinson. By all accounts he had two great games before this one, so this was probably an aberration, but he didn't really seem authoritative with the puck and he lost a couple important footraces. He got the empty-netter at the end but apart from that he didn't do much in the offensive zone.

The only defenseman I was particularly watching was Collins. His skating looks like it's improved over the years, but his puckhandling is still an adventure. He looks more composed than I remember him but that's not really saying much. Of the invite defensemen, the guy I liked was Justin Wade. Made some big hits, didn't look troubled with the puck, showed good acceleration to get to loose pucks.

Reactions: major major

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Stenlund and Fix-Wolansky were two big surprises for me. Fix-W, even with the size issues has some real potential with his offensive skills and burners. Amazing late pick. That kid can skate. With Foudy this is going to be a very fast team.

Reactions: GoJackets1

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
All the main prospects page is telling me is that Columbus is a bunch of meanies and being too physical for a prospects tournament. Gooning their way to the top :laugh:

Reactions: GoJackets1

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
All the main prospects page is telling me is that Columbus is a bunch of meanies and being too physical for a prospects tournament. Gooning their way to the top :laugh:
Both guys that complaining are Canes fans,. outshot them 27-17 , both our goalies have below .900sv%, but it's goaltending and gooning that win us games. :)

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Both guys that complaining are Canes fans,. outshot them 27-17 , both our goalies have below .900sv%, but it's goaltending and gooning that win us games. :)
their rationale is ridiculous. A heavy physical game isnt a good way to gauge prospects progress but apparently pond hockey is. If their guys cant handle some moderetly physical 20 year olds then i dont think they are NHL ready. Everyone is sad because this was supposed to be St.Louis, Carolina and probaby New Yorks time to shine while Columbus was supposed to suck but Columbus is trying too hard

CBJ goalie

May 19, 2005
London, Ontario
If anyone can please provide a link, I would appreciate it....I tried and tried to find a link for yesterday's game, and no luck.
I would like to watch at least 1 prospect game....

FoxSportsGO app doesn't work for me (being in Canada), and I can't find any links anywhere on the Red Wings site.

The Wheelchair

Jun 13, 2015
Ottawa
The FoxSportsGo.com stream last night wasn't region-locked or even TV-provider-locked. I don't know if it'll work in Canada, but the Blues-Rangers game is going on right now if you want to test it out.

The Wheelchair

Jun 13, 2015
Ottawa
Great save by Kivlenieks on the PK. Loses his stick making a sprawling save, then, lying on his belly, reaches up and makes a glove save on the rebound.

Reactions: thebus88

The Wheelchair

Jun 13, 2015
Ottawa
Fix-Wolansky gets tripped on the zone entry, and while he's sliding across the ice on his belly, feeds Stenlund behind him, who buries it with a minimum of fuss. 1-0 Jackets. TFW has been tenacious on the forecheck all night. Quickly becoming one of my favorites.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Stenlund is just dominating. Stronger stick, softer hands. Looks like a great center. I had him near the top of the prospects list a year ago, then had him drop a lot this year. I'm not feeling good about that choice now.

Fix-Wolansky gets tripped on the zone entry, and while he's sliding across the ice on his belly, feeds Stenlund behind him, who buries it with a minimum of fuss. 1-0 Jackets. TFW has been tenacious on the forecheck all night. Quickly becoming one of my favorites.

It was a great play by TFW. Stenlund also had a sweet cross-body pass to TFW on the zone entry.

2-1 Jackets. Stenlund again. Snipes from just above the dot on the power play.

Stenlund put it right through the defenders legs. What a snipe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad