Travel/tourist Information for Buffalo visitors

Humphrey*

I have lived here my whole life (well since grade 3) and never had Charlie the Butcher's beef on weck. True story.

SuperNintendoChalmrs

Jun 28, 2002
Buffalo
Visitors must also try several things, given the time:

1) roast beef on weck (can't give you specific places that serve it but if the place that you are at has it, try it)
2) Mighty Taco :)
3) Ted's Hot Dog's if you venture out to Transit

Beef on Weck

Schwabl's
789 Center Road
West Seneca, NY 14224

Eckl's
4936 Ellicott Road
Orchard Park, NY 14127

Tacos

Elmwood Taco and Subs
937 Elmwood Avenue
Buffalo, NY 14222

Humphrey*

If anyone wants incredible wings skip the Anchor Bar and head to:

Nine Eleven Tavern
11 Bloomfield Ave.
Buffalo, NY 14220

mechaphil

Jan 18, 2010
BFLO
www.blackbluegold.wordpress.com
Wings - Gabriel's Gate, 145 Allen St...best in the city itself.

Also, I'm one of the sushi chefs at Encore at 492 Pearl St. and my USA Hockey scarf hangs proudly behind my sushi bar, so hockey fans come on by to talk puck with or eat rolls made by me between 11-2:30 and 5-10PM. /shamelessplug

member 30781

I have lived here my whole life (well since grade 3) and never had Charlie the Butcher's beef on weck. True story.

Me and my dad went there twice in one day. You are missing out dude. Its one of those small places that no one knows about but it has some of the most delicious beef on weck in Buffalo. I havent tasted beef on weck from any other place but i can assure you, Charlie's is the best.

ThinMcWhistle

Mar 26, 2005
Northern hemisphere
My favourite restaurant in the Buffalo area has to be Smokey Bones, right near the Walden Galleria mall.

TASTEEEEY!!! And a really good price too!

Will be dining there tomorrow night, before the big game!!
:yo::nod:

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
I didn't realize that these were missing from this list:

Niagara Region Info
Canada Border Info
US Border Info

What a waste of bandwidth these sites are. We were sitting on Niagara Blvd. right under the Peace Bridge and get a text that the site says "No Delay." Yeah... no delay... just red brake lights dotting the landscape.

Sorry had to do some venting.:D

Seriously though, if anyone is going to the game from the GTA, leave very early. These border wait times are absolutely brutal. We took well over 2 hours to clear the last 6km leading up to the Peace Bridge.

Made Dan

Jul 15, 2007
The Bronx, NY
Buffalo is famous for it's Beef on Weck sandwiches. And if you guys wanna try the best, head to Charlie the Butcher's by the airport on Cayuga Rd IIRC.

Im already home from Buffalo so I can't go anymore (which is a real shame), but this has the best beef sandwich I have ever tried.

Nice, this is like 2 minutes from me. Literally right across from the airport. Do you know what time he opens ?

member 30781

Nice, this is like 2 minutes from me. Literally right across from the airport. Do you know what time he opens ?

Don't know what time it opens. Me and my pops went around 2 pm. I would guess they are open around 10. And yea, I stayed right next to the airport so it was a quick drive. You will not be disappointed, that much I can assure you.

Humphrey*

Friend that's up at the arena now wants to know if there is any special food that is worth trying at the arena.
I know this post may be way late but I don't think there is anything at the arena that is a must try. I'm going to the medal games and will probably just get nachos. Maybe beef on weck too.

member 30781

Friend that's up at the arena now wants to know if there is any special food that is worth trying at the arena.

Pearl Street Grill and Brewery is your best bet. Except there isnt any MUST TRY foods there. But its got great beer.

Lessy

Jul 21, 2004
Sudbury
What are the border wait times like before Canada games. I'm heading down to what will hopefully be a Canada-USA semifinal Monday night at 7:30 from the GTA. Any suggestions for what bridge to cross at and/or wait times?

member 30781

What are the border wait times like before Canada games. I'm heading down to what will hopefully be a Canada-USA semifinal Monday night at 7:30 from the GTA. Any suggestions for what bridge to cross at and/or wait times?

Don't know specifically, but my word of advice is....LEAVE EARLY!

There is always a few hours wait.

CaptPantalones

Oct 8, 2006
Buffalo, NY

Depends on the bridge you take. The rainbow bridge has been usually less then 90 minutes, while ive heard the Peace has been at least 2-3 hrs on gamedays

BuffaloPete

Nov 27, 2010
Buffalo
None of the bridges will be a cake walk. My advice would be to take the Rainbow Bridge. That is almost always the shortest wait, but leave A LOT of extra time, and I mean a couple hours earlier than you would usually leave. The Peace Bridge and Lewiston-Queenston Bridge are probably going to see the heaviest delays.

Made Dan

Jul 15, 2007
The Bronx, NY
Don't know what time it opens. Me and my pops went around 2 pm. I would guess they are open around 10. And yea, I stayed right next to the airport so it was a quick drive. You will not be disappointed, that much I can assure you.
omg it was :eek::eek::eek::eek:tastic, thanks
I know this post may be way late but I don't think there is anything at the arena that is a must try. I'm going to the medal games and will probably just get nachos. Maybe beef on weck too.

I had the beef on weck there and it was pretty good

IcedTwoTimer

Sep 10, 2010
Border Wait times and arena parking ect

Hi I am planning on going to the gold medal game. Getting there on time for that game will not be an issue. However, I can get tickets @ a good price for the bronze game and would like to attend that as well.
However I am writing a professional exam (will probably be in there until 1:00) in Waterloo that day and mapquest is giving me 2h17min to get to HSBC from where I am. Pretty tight squeeze... its a good enough deal I don't mind missing a period or so but was just wondering what times would be @ the border and if there is parking (decently priced) right at the arena and what the walk times would be to get to your seats. If anybody has gone from the same general area info would be greatly appreciated. Not everybody has a nexus so we cant cross quickly, but whats a good bridge to cross at?

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

Can't estimate border wait times.

Driving from Seattle to BC we had to go to the border building to get questioned.

There can be a lot of traffic too, etc.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Hi I am planning on going to the gold medal game. Getting there on time for that game will not be an issue. However, I can get tickets @ a good price for the bronze game and would like to attend that as well.
However I am writing a professional exam (will probably be in there until 1:00) in Waterloo that day and mapquest is giving me 2h17min to get to HSBC from where I am. Pretty tight squeeze... its a good enough deal I don't mind missing a period or so but was just wondering what times would be @ the border and if there is parking (decently priced) right at the arena and what the walk times would be to get to your seats. If anybody has gone from the same general area info would be greatly appreciated. Not everybody has a nexus so we cant cross quickly, but whats a good bridge to cross at?

I would recommend taking Rainbow in Niagara Falls, but use the 800 number to make an estimation. It isn't exact, but Lewiston-Queenston seems to always be a pain crossing into the States.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Garyboy, Depending on where you're coming from, I think you'll find parking to be relatively inexpensive and easy (I guess I'm really comparing it to Toronto if you're coming from that way... I know many people are).

There is a ramp directly attached to the arena, but for Sabres games at least, this is only for season ticket holders and you basically need a permit, so I wouldn't recommend going there because it will likely be filled. But there are other areas to park along Perry Street (which runs right in front of the main entrance). Here's a map of those lots (http://buffaloworldjuniors.com/downloads/HSBCArena-ParkingMap.pdf).

There will plenty of lots anywhere downtown, and unless you try and park 5 minutes before the puck drop, traffic shouldn't be too bad (it will be worse leaving the arena). You can really park in any lot or garage downtown, and the MetroRail train cuts right through the city. It's a free ride and if you get on will drop you off right at the arena, so that's very convenient as well. Hope this helps and enjoy!

60 bucks to park at the arena,......... hosers

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
$6.50 two blocks away.

Must be a great big secret, what is there 4 spaces? Would of been nice to supply a map to the supposed properly priced parking lot.

Edit to add: Makes sense, the locals would know where to go so they don't get ripped off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->