Travel/tourist Information for Buffalo visitors

SuperNintendoChalmrs

Jun 28, 2002
Buffalo
Is it that bad?:laugh:

It's not "Bad Bad", just don't venture that way.

The minor league baseball park, Coca-Cola Field has a parking ramp right next to it. There's parking under the I-190 on Washington Street. There's parking under the HSBC Tower... each of these spots are within two blocks of HSBC Arena.

CaptPantalones

Oct 8, 2006
Buffalo, NY
Pearl Street Brewery right by HSBC Arena. It's always packed but it's awesome. Get some Flying Bison Aviator Red, its amazing.

Theres a new brewery starting up called Community Beer Works downtown but I don't think its open yet. Theres also Ellicotville Brewery which is awesome but its about a 50min drive from Buffalo.

My key suggestion: One night have a few beers at a local pub, stumble down to a Jim's Stakeout order a Chicken Finger sub (BBQ, or Hot with blue cheese). Amazing.

You hit the Jims suggestion right on the head. I challenge any visitor from out of town to go there and try the chicken finger sub and tell me theyve had better. I just got a $50 gift card for there from my inlaws. Gonna feed me well during the tournament

Ravenshockey

Jan 15, 2010
Hi guys,

Coming to the Canada/Russia game tomorrow at HSBC from Toronto and plan on arriving a couple hours early in case of border delays etc. If we find a parking garage close to the rink is there lots of pubs/bars etc within walking distance to kill some time?

First time at the HSBC, excited!

CaptPantalones

Oct 8, 2006
Buffalo, NY
Hi guys,

Coming to the Canada/Russia game tomorrow at HSBC from Toronto and plan on arriving a couple hours early in case of border delays etc. If we find a parking garage close to the rink is there lots of pubs/bars etc within walking distance to kill some time?

There are about 8-10 within walking distance plus a party tent set up next to the arena with food and drinks

BuffaloPete

Nov 27, 2010
Buffalo
There are about 8-10 within walking distance plus a party tent set up next to the arena with food and drinks

Yep there's a number of places within walking distance. As some people already mentioned, the biggest bar/brewery near the arena is the Pearl Street Grill and Brewery, which is on Pearl Street and Seneca Street. But there are a number of smaller places too that you can come across, so it shouldn't be much of a problem to kill some time.

I think the bridges will be pretty bad tomorrow, so I'd recommend that any Canadian visitor leaves PLENTY of time. Besides the Canada/Russia game at 4pm, there's a Bills game at 1, and I expect plenty of Canadian shoppers to also come across the bridges all day long.

member 30781

Im definitely hitting up Pearle Street Brewery and Jim's Steak Out while I am here. Im really getting hungry for that chicken finger sub.

But is Pearle Street Brewery open tonight (Christmas)?

BuffaloPete

Nov 27, 2010
Buffalo
Im definitely hitting up Pearle Street Brewery and Jim's Steak Out while I am here. Im really getting hungry for that chicken finger sub.

I actually don't know. My initial guess is that it will be hard to find any place open, so I'd say no. But if you're staying downtown, I guess you could always check it out in person and see.

member 30781

I actually don't know. My initial guess is that it will be hard to find any place open, so I'd say no. But if you're staying downtown, I guess you could always check it out in person and see.

Im stayin right next to the airport so about 20 minutes from downtown. Me and my dad might just head down there just to see what the city is like.

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
Garyboy, Depending on where you're coming from, I think you'll find parking to be relatively inexpensive and easy (I guess I'm really comparing it to Toronto if you're coming from that way... I know many people are).

There is a ramp directly attached to the arena, but for Sabres games at least, this is only for season ticket holders and you basically need a permit, so I wouldn't recommend going there because it will likely be filled. But there are other areas to park along Perry Street (which runs right in front of the main entrance). Here's a map of those lots (http://buffaloworldjuniors.com/downloads/HSBCArena-ParkingMap.pdf).

There will plenty of lots anywhere downtown, and unless you try and park 5 minutes before the puck drop, traffic shouldn't be too bad (it will be worse leaving the arena). You can really park in any lot or garage downtown, and the MetroRail train cuts right through the city. It's a free ride and if you get on will drop you off right at the arena, so that's very convenient as well. Hope this helps and enjoy!

Yeah, I am coming from Toronto.

Thanks a lot for the helpful and indepth reply, BuffaloPete. Greatly Appreciated. Take care and enjoy the tournament.

bpc2083

Mar 2, 2010
Buffalo, New York
Hi guys,

Cobblestone is a decent bar 2 mins walking from HSBC, as is Morrissey's and Benchwarmers. If you have time, check out the bars on Allen or even Elmwood because they're better IMO.

SuperNintendoChalmrs

Jun 28, 2002
Buffalo
I figured it was sage advice. :laugh:

In any event, looks like the weather will be good here for the tournament, no crazy snowstorms, temps moving into the upper 30s by mid-week.

Energise

Mar 6, 2009
The Phog

The Stinger down at Jim's is my favorite sandwich in the world.

It has yet to be mentioned in this thread for whatever reason but Mighty Taco is great, especially if you're drunk :laugh:

john g

Mar 6, 2002
Korbi
Visitors must also try several things, given the time:

1) roast beef on weck (can't give you specific places that serve it but if the place that you are at has it, try it)
2) Mighty Taco :)
3) Ted's Hot Dog's if you venture out to Transit

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Visitors must also try several things, given the time:

1) roast beef on weck (can't give you specific places that serve it but if the place that you are at has it, try it)
2) Mighty Taco :)
3) Ted's Hot Dog's if you venture out to Transit

The original Ted's is on Sheridan and probably easier to get to for anyone coming down from So. Ontario since it's not far from the Rt 190/290 split by the Grand Island bridges.

Another recommendation -- park around Swan and Washington or Seneca and Pearl. Walk three blocks. Parking off of Exchange or down by Perry in front of the Arena has become a case of complete price gouging (10 bucks per game, 50 for the day... etc...) while the lots a few blocks up were still at regular even pricing as of last night ($6 or $6.50).

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Another resource for bridge wait times -- 800-715-6722, option 2 if you are on the road and can't look at a website while driving.

member 30781

Buffalo is famous for it's Beef on Weck sandwiches. And if you guys wanna try the best, head to Charlie the Butcher's by the airport on Cayuga Rd IIRC.

Im already home from Buffalo so I can't go anymore (which is a real shame), but this has the best beef sandwich I have ever tried.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad