Travel to Pittsburgh

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Paying hotel prices is not an option. I'm on a tight budget of around $50 a night at most.. I always do Airbnb as to me hotels are dead money. I won't have a car too. But thanks for the suggestion.

East Liberty is a very nice up and coming area, it has been bad for a long time, a lot of young people, quite a few bars and restaurants, really cool neigbourhoods, there is a busway going downtown, pretty convinient. what street is your Airbnb appt on? East Liberty could be good and bad...

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
You are not given the address until you book. You are only given a approximate location on a map and a description.

For airbnb? I'm not too familiar with it but when I looked for places in Florida I got an exact location. Maybe I'm just dumb :laugh:

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
You are not given the address until you book. You are only given a approximate location on a map and a description.

weird, are you looking at just a room?, I travel quite often and always pick apartments I stay (both US and abroad)

anyways, its a cool area like I said, what were the dates?

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
Someone has just pointed out to me that I will be in Pittsburgh for Thanksgiving.

As I don't have family or really know anyone in the city I am thinking of putting this day to some good use. Does anyone know where I could maybe volunteer that day to help out at a shelter etc?

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
Question for Pen's fans. Is the HOV lane (I-279 N) open? We travel from Smethport, PA and have season tickets. If closed, when will it be open? Thanks!

Ziggyjoe21

Nov 12, 2003
Pitt
Question for Pen's fans. Is the HOV lane (I-279 N) open? We travel from Smethport, PA and have season tickets. If closed, when will it be open? Thanks!

279 is currently under construction so the HOV lane is being used as a temporary "detour" going soutbound. It will take 2 years.
Even if it was open I'm not sure it would help you much because it would be open north bound in the evenings, and closed after Pens games end.

Off topic but how many games do you go to if you live 2 hours away? I assume you have ST to re-sell?

Last edited:

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
I go to about 5 games a year. We have Erie Otter's season tickets too, so we attend those first. I sell about 25-30 games to friends who live near Hermitage, PA. I didn't get to go to any p/o games due to the wife having back surgery, so that stunk. We hope to this year.

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
As things to do in Pittsburgh was brought up in another thread yesterday I thought I would ask here so it is all in one place.
Anyone know any local theatre companies that show in November?

Also any Orchestra companies?

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
Devils fan coming in peace. :) My SO is a Pens fan and I'd like to get her tickets to a game at PPG in 101 behind the Pens bench. I'm pretty sure right behind the bench will be prohibitive costwise and probably not even available. What I'm wondering is, is it worth sitting even a few rows back, maybe F or G, to get the game experience of being close to the bench and how are the viewing angles from there?

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Devils fan coming in peace. :) My SO is a Pens fan and I'd like to get her tickets to a game at PPG in 101 behind the Pens bench. I'm pretty sure right behind the bench will be prohibitive costwise and probably not even available. What I'm wondering is, is it worth sitting even a few rows back, maybe F or G, to get the game experience of being close to the bench and how are the viewing angles from there?

Personally, I don't like glass seats. For me, I'd enjoy rows F or G much more than directly behind the bench.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh

I think you'd probably be better off a few rows back if you actually want to watch the game but you could probably find seats right behind the bench if you're willing to pay pretty well for them.

As far as angles there really isn't a bad seat in the building so I don't think you have anything to worry about there.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

I am extremely, and i mean extremely, picky about where I sit. I would recommend higher up in Sections 101, 102, or 103. They are club seats with your own bathrooms and some awesome restaurants (Tako is in there). Across the way are sections 111/112/113. These are also club seats but on the other side. Equally as awesome and have 2 great restaurants inside the club to grab food from. Out of those 6 sections, you will have the best seat in the house. Club seats, own bathrooms, and great food.

If you sit 10 rows or lower, the glass gives you trouble. If you sit 15 rows or higher in those sections, it's the greatest view of the ice. The entire lower bowl is awesome as long as you aren't too low because the glass causes issues. I highly recommend 15 rows or higher in those 6 sections I gave you.

If you don't want to pay club prices - the other sections I recommend are 107 or 118. But sit further back in those sections. It is behind the net but as long as you are higher up in the lower bowl, you get a fantastic view of the system and how the game is flowing. If you are an x's and o's fan, those are awesome. I will not sit up in the upper bowl (200s sections) as I just don't prefer to watch a game like that even though the seats aren't bad. I'm just extremely picky.

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
Thanks everyone for the input. :) I agree glass seats or even close aren't the greatest for sight lines. I think I'll stick with 10th row and higher. She'll be happy just being there.

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
Booked my tickets for the Pittsburgh Symphony & City Theatre Company today. Had to call both as they all use the same site to book and it would just not accept a postal code instead of zipcode even though everything else was changed to Canadian.

Also got a ticket to Pitt football against Miami even though I have no idea about football. I am keeping my eye on tickets for the Steelers v Packers too but unless I wait right until KO I doubt I'll get anything cheap.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Booked my tickets for the Pittsburgh Symphony & City Theatre Company today. Had to call both as they all use the same site to book and it would just not accept a postal code instead of zipcode even though everything else was changed to Canadian.

Also got a ticket to Pitt football against Miami even though I have no idea about football. I am keeping my eye on tickets for the Steelers v Packers too but unless I wait right until KO I doubt I'll get anything cheap.
Wow! Good for you. That's quite the trip planned!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->