Translation help?

Leidi J

Jan 28, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
It's been a while since we, as sharks fans, have had anyone new young and exciting on our team to cheer for, so obviously we are stoked to have Tomas Hertl with the team this year. He's looked great. However, with his english still very limited, it has been a little more difficult to get to know him off the ice since he says so little. The other guys in the locker room seem to get along with him really well so far.

Anyways, I was surfing the internet and found this interview with Tomas: http://isport.blesk.cz/clanek/hokej...rnton-je-akcni-na-kluky-uz-jsem-si-zvykl.html

I made an attempt to read it using an online translator, but those things are truly awful. I was wondering if there was anyone here on the site who would take the time to do the huge favor of translating it for us Sharks fans??

I wasn't sure if this was the right place to ask something like this, but figured I'd give it a shot :handclap:

Clardz

Jan 25, 2013
DFW
My Slovak is better than my Czech, and neither of them are great (I've only been studying a little over a year). Hopefully a native speaker can chime in with a proper translation, but here's what I was able to get from the first few questions:

"They don the uniform, a jersey pulled over his head. A very special jersey. Already friday night at 4am central european time, forward Tomas Hertl of the San Jose Sharks is playing in his first NHL game, against Vancouver. He lines up at the face-off, on the wing, on the first line, and a big dream is fulfilled

'You feel that it was coming?

I feel awfully excited, to me, the preseason games were exciting enough. In the arena, there's 15,000 people, it's incredible. It's clear to see, that San Jose loves (literally, "lives") hockey. I think that here the sport is #1, unlike Phoenix or Florida, it's very popular here.

Do you think you'll remain on the first line?

No one knows for now, but I've already been practicing for a month in the same line with Thornton & Burns. I go on the the second power play unit, so that should also help. It's now up to me to show I belong/deserve it.

What's a typical day like for a rookie in the NHL?

Every morning I'm at the rink practicing, then I go to the hotel to relax. I'll watch some movies, sleep, and try to improve my english, which is of course very important for me. And during camp I would go to dinner with other guys (rookies) who were here with me.'"

joey16

Dec 27, 2010
Here's the rest. I'm not really good at translation but I hope you'll understand. :)

Were you able to speak with your temamates?
I got a lot of work to do with my english. It's getting better, I already feel what is going on and I'm trying to communicate. Still, it's not perfect.

Joe Thornton said he was trying to talk to you as much as possible but he doesn't know if you understand.
I'm fine, I usually understand the playing stuff. I've already got used to the guys. Thornton is very energetic so we gotta do every exercise in practise first.. then I'm every day nervous not to screw up something. Fortunately, everything has worked out for me yet except for one time. When I don't know where to move, I'm trying to make decisions just like in the game. (smile)

Do Thornton and Burns help you on the ice?
They're great guys, smiling every time. I was wondering if Thornton wasn't going to be little reserved but absolutely no. And Burns? That man is crazy, he's yelling on the ice all the time, he scores in practise and he jumps and celebrates, I like how he's enjoying it. I hope it lasts.

How's the atmosphere in the locker room? Can you compare it with Slavia's?
There's a big difference, especially that I don't understand everything (laughing). When someone tells a joke, sometimes I just laugh with the others. The american-canadian sense of humor is little bit differnt then ours, everbody says you so. When I played for Slavia I was home, it's still new for me in here.

Which other overseas comfort things can you mention?
It's great to used to such things (smiling). Like the big plane.. First time I got on board I didn't know where to sit so Thornton took me backwards where the older guys are. It was good experience listen to them. In the plane, you can order anything, steak for example. Then the bus arrives right to the airport, you don't have to wait anywhere.

You compliment your teammates all the time how they're helpful but is there anyone who wants to show you that your spot in the roster belongs to him?
Not at all, guys here are completely diffrent in these things. They can fight each other in the practise and then they're all laughing in the locker room. That's another thing that really surprised me. Personally, I don't really love playing against my teammates in the practise but in here, everyone's hitting and finishing every checks..

Did someone want to fight you?
Not at all (laughing). I can fight just in some struggle in front of the net at max, otherwise I just laugh at it. I don't exactly enjoy that.

Last edited:

Leidi J

Jan 28, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
Thank you so much to both of you! It's been a while since we've had an exciting rookie to obsess about and I loved reading about how he's adjusting to the NHL and especially what he thinks of his teammates. Burns is definitely crazy... I can only imagine what he thought meeting him and getting to know him this past month hahaha. So funny.

Thanks again guys! I'm gonna post a link here now over on the Sharks board to share:handclap:

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
Good ol Thornton being a good papa mammoth.

Tyvm for the translation guys.

Kegsey

Defense be scared, Hertl coming.
Oct 20, 2011
Canada
Here's the rest. I'm not really good at translation but I hope you'll understand. :)

I got a lot of work to do with my english. It's getting better, I already feel what is going on and I'm trying to communicate. Still, it's not perfect.

Joe Thornton said he was trying to talk to you as much as possible but he doesn't know if you understand.
I'm fine, I usually understand the playing stuff. I've already got used to the guys. Thornton is very energetic so we gotta do every exercise in practise first.. then I'm every day nervous not to screw up something. Fortunately, everything has worked out for me yet except for one time. When I don't know where to move, I'm trying to make decisions just like in the game. (smile)

They're great guys, smiling every time. I was wondering if Thornton wasn't going to be little reserved but absolutely no. And Burns? That man is crazy, he's yelling on the ice all the time, he scores in practise and he jumps and celebrates, I like how he's enjoying it. I hope it lasts.

There's a big difference, especially that I don't understand everything (laughing). When someone tells a joke, sometimes I just laugh with the others. The american-canadian sense of humor is little bit differnt then ours, everbody says you so. When I played for Slavia I was home, it's still new for me in here.

It's great to used to such things (smiling). Like the big plane.. First time I got on board I didn't know where to sit so Thornton took me backwards where the older guys are. It was good experience listen to them. In the plane, you can order anything, steak for example. Then the bus arrives right to the airport, you don't have to wait anywhere.

You compliment your teammates all the time how they're helpful but is there anyone who wants to show you that your spot in the roster belongs to him?
Not at all, guys here are completely diffrent in these things. They can fight each other in the practise and then they're all laughing in the locker room. That's another thing that really surprised me. Personally, I don't really love playing against my teammates in the practise but in here, everyone's hitting and finishing every checks..

Not at all (laughing). I can fight just in some struggle in front of the net at max, otherwise I just laugh at it. I don't exactly enjoy that.

This is exactly what I suspected :laugh:

Thanks for the translation guys!

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012

Not surprised in the slightest bit. :laugh: Huge fan of Burns.

Thanks for the translations!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad