Transformative defense prospects: From Orr to Potvin to Dahlin

Mathew Barzal

Walk It Like I Tocchet
Jun 5, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I think hockey is nearing the peak of its 'evolutionary' phase. No player is going to 'transform' the game anymore. Gretzky will be the last player to have that kind of effect.

If anything, I think a coach with a new take on the game will transform the way its played.

ForsbergForever

May 19, 2004
I think hockey is nearing the peak of its 'evolutionary' phase. No player is going to 'transform' the game anymore. Gretzky will be the last player to have that kind of effect.

If anything, I think a coach with a new take on the game will transform the way its played.

I remember seeing a study recently about how Olympic performances, specifically world records would now rarely if ever be broken because humans have achieved the best possible fitness in terms of nutrition and physical conditioning and evolutionarily speaking there is simply no higher level for athletes to go. In terms of hockey, assuming the size of goal nets and the ice surface remain the same, there really isn't anything thats going to radically change unless, as you say, a coach comes up with a radical new team concept that all the players buy into and as a result complete crush all opposition in something like a 65 or 70 win season. That said, somebody like Dahlin might put up a 100-point season as a defenseman or McDavid 140-point season which would both be insanely incredible but would still not be revolutionary or transformative - just perhaps equal to previous seasons by all-time legends.

Reactions: Mathew Barzal

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010
The worst thing to happen to Dahlin is not playing in the CHL.

I have complete faith he would have put up 80+ points this year on an average to above average team in the CHL.

And the discussion on him would be much more knowledgeable

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
I think Dahlin could be a special player but I don't see how he could possibly transform the defense position?

Let's say he reaches the pinnacle of his potential - he'll be Erik Karlsson-ish offensively, while handing his own zone like Drew Doughty. That would make him, well, Raymond Bourque-ish.

He certainly isn't going to out-perform Karlsson offensively and score 100 points. And his style isn't similar to Rod Langway, where he's a stay-at-home D horse. If all goes well, he could be a better Drew Doughty, which is still future HHOF quality... but there's nothing he can physically do to "transform" the defense position.

Personally, and this is just my gut hunch, I think he ends up very similar to Seth Jones... perhaps a little more "wow" factor. But I don't expect him to be Coffey+Lidstrom rolled into one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->