Transfer Portal = Free Agency for NCAAF

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
There has been an interesting trend over the last couple of years. While transfers have been part of college football for a long time, it appears to be increasing not only in frequency but in quality.

In the past, the players that needed a change of scenery (mainly backups/rotational players looking for more playing time) that accounted for vast majority of transfers, and these transfers would usually go from higher profile schools to lower levels. But that seems to be changing. You still get a lot of the cases that I've mentioned, but you also now have established starters (or even stars) that go to higher profile schools.

You have top schools like Alabama, Notre Dame and Ohio State be active in Transfer Portal.

I think this is just a beginning also. There is still a pretty big gap between HS recruiting and Transfer Portal acquisitions. I think this gap will get progressively smaller with time, for top schools especially.

I think NIL might have a significant impact here also. Alabama player has a bigger potential for endorsement income then North Dakota State player.

For the record, I don't have a problem with this, a kid has a right to choose which college to attend, but this will probably put an even bigger gap between top tier schools and lower level schools.

Last edited:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
NCAA now allowing players a one time transfer where they don’t need to sit out a year. So we are going to see more transfers.

basically means that HC have to re-recruit their players each year.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Traditionally, recruiting was all about the dichotomy of "You'll be living like a king on campus" pre-arrival to "We got your ass now. Time to work and shut up." post-arrival. Transfers of course put that on its head. You would think that may lead to more realistic recruiting techniques - but who wants to ever be told "Yeah we're recruiting you as the 4th option at this position, if we sign you, it'll be as a backup." So, the lying will continue..which will simply lead to extremely high roster turnover and thus reduced quality of play.

Reactions: DaveG
Sep 19, 2008
The portal has made it much easier to transfer from place to place and it was getting ridiculous in the NCAA Basketball scene a few weeks ago. It helps enable players who are bitching about playing time or shit like that. To be frank I'm not sure I like it.

Sep 19, 2008
Dick Vitale Clears Up His Controversial Transferring Stance

ESPN’s Dick Vitale has been vocal about his feelings on the transfer portal and how it has affected the college basketball landscape.
In doing so, Vitale has taken heat from some who feel he is arguing against players having freedom to leave programs for other opportunities. Not true, he tweeted this morning in an attempt to further clarify his stance.
“I want to get one thing straight here,” Vitale wrote. “I have zero prob with players transferring in many cases it is beneficial. However allowing players to transfer w/o sitting out has totally changed the entire landscape of college hoops. It has created chaos as over 1200 are in the portal.”

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Traditionally, recruiting was all about the dichotomy of "You'll be living like a king on campus" pre-arrival to "We got your ass now. Time to work and shut up." post-arrival. Transfers of course put that on its head. You would think that may lead to more realistic recruiting techniques - but who wants to ever be told "Yeah we're recruiting you as the 4th option at this position, if we sign you, it'll be as a backup." So, the lying will continue..which will simply lead to extremely high roster turnover and thus reduced quality of play.
Now coaches are dealing with kids and their NIL. Where can the kid get the best bang for their NIL.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
NCAA now allowing players a one time transfer where they don’t need to sit out a year. So we are going to see more transfers.

basically means that HC have to re-recruit their players each year.
Which means they have to keep more promises

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Which means they have to keep more promises

Well they won't be able to have 5 starters at QB in the future either, and at the same time no-one will be recruited to be a backup. This will just lead to a ton of roster turnover. The Bamas, Ohio States and Floridas of the world will simply recruit the top players and then fill the holes left by departing, disgruntled backups with the best players from lesser programs. It's the lower end mid-major programs that will suffer the most because they will lose their top players who want to 'move on up' in the world and they will lose their disgruntled backups too.

Reactions: DaveG

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
I often wondered why more high-profile recruits don't choose lower level schools.

Yes, you won't win the NCAA championship, but you are far more likely to get playing time earlier in your career.

And if the ultimate goal is NFL, I don't think its really that much of a difference.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I often wondered why more high-profile recruits don't choose lower level schools.

Yes, you won't win the NCAA championship, but you are far more likely to get playing time earlier in your career.

And if the ultimate goal is NFL, I don't think its really that much of a difference.
Most positions allow you to get into games aside from QB. There's also better coaching and facilities at the big programs, so that's a consideration as well. With the new NIL rules, there's probably only so much money available to kids at the big programs that you could get more at a smaller program.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
NIL was approved late so I think that will impact the transfer protocol. I mean there has to be only a certain amount of money that Alabama, OSU, Clemson, etc players can make. To be #11 on one of those schools means how much money? Versus being #3 at say Arkansas or Mississippi St?

but some kids will transfer to improve their draft stock. So Kiffin will be right about the big guys loading up weaknesses.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad