Training for both golf and hockey

jetsfan23

Jan 19, 2014
Manitoba
Hi folks,

I am in a bit of a dilemma and could use some honest thoughts. I love sports, lots of sports. I love hockey and golf equally.

I have found a pro who speaks my language is relatively inexpensive and has helped people get as high as the web.com tour. I really want to get to the point where I can be competitive in provincial and national Mid-Am tournaments and other amateur events. I also wish that I could get to the point in hockey where I can make a difference for my team when it counts and get at least 10 points a season. Right now I am probably in the bottom 3 players on the team of 15 and have never gotten over 6 points in a season. I struggle a lot with balance so the skating is hard.

That much said I am struggling with how to plan my practice. If I stop practicing golf over the winter will I ever be able to get to the point I want and vice versa. For those of you who have gone far in the game as adults is it something I need to work on all year? I've considered having a two season year April-October for golf and a November to March hockey season. My actual hockey season starts in September but if I can mentally consider Sept/October as my hockey preseason to crank up the sprints and fast movements that might work.

Any suggestions welcome.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
If you want to max out as a golfer, you need to focus on that year round. If you are playing hockey one night a week, that should impact you golfing year round.

It's all about how you want to prioritize stuff. If golf is your #1 priority, then your actions year round need to be aligned with that.

But, if it's golf vs hockey during the winter because you only have one night a week to dedicate to golf, then it will be a huge challenge to really improve at golf.

Golf is something that takes lots and lots and lots of perfect reps to ingrain solid swing patterns. You can't really maximize your potential working on your game one night a week.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Agree with Jim Bob here. I remember in 8th/9th grade I played hockey and football. I played football for fun but hockey was my sport. My trainer made sense and said if i want to be GREAT, not just good, it needs to be every day with one sport. From studying, to training, to playing, to practicing, etc. And it really did make a difference.

Sounds like you are a heck of a golfer. Keep hockey as a nice hobby, but go towards your dream at golf. On days you can't play, study. Sit there and put in your room. Work on shadow swings. Watch video. Watch video of yourself. Take notes from your trainer. Stretch. Make it your life.

jetsfan23

Jan 19, 2014
Manitoba
Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm not a great golfer either but love it because its outside in usually beautiful places where I can just enjoy being outside. I love hockey for the team element and the will to fight. I am probably just really hard on my self I guess. Need to just do what feels right in the moment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad