Training for 2 sports advice wanted

jetsfan23

Jan 19, 2014
Manitoba
I am looking for advice for training for 2 sports. I play hockey September to March and I golf April to October. The main time for me to peak for hockey is march for playoffs and in july/august for golf for end of season tournaments, particularily the World Am in Myrtle Beach.

The traditional periodization model of offseason, preseason, In Season and Post Season is really hard for me to wrap my head around when I have two sports to train for and practice for. Should I try and keep up my technical skills in the other sport once a week and how should I manage my physical training.

Any assistance would be helpful.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I'm not trying to be mean but stick to what you are best at and train for that. The other one is going to end up a hobby. Sounds like you have a chance at golf - go for it.

jetsfan23

Jan 19, 2014
Manitoba
Hi ColePens

No offence taken. I started skating 10 years ago at age 23 and keep getting better every year but have a hard time doing all the moves and balancing at the same time. I took up golf 3 years ago and my hip has dropped from 40 to 25 in the last year so I'm definitely improving. I don't know if I have a shot but I keep trying to get better at both.

This is the World Am. More fun than anything. http://myrtlebeachworldamateur.com

Thanks for the reply.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I would say, if you want to work both, the one consistent in both sports:

- Core and balance. Work your core (including legs) like hell. The better your core is the better your hockey and golf will be.

I can speak to hockey more than golf, but you can buy an agility ladder and a jump rope and do a lot of amazing footwork/speed work to get quicker. Work your core like crazy for both sports.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->