Training Camp - What if

Status
Not open for further replies.

stlweir

Sep 29, 2008
Lets say the latest proposal brings a resolution and we have hockey. Do players like Rattie and other prospects get invited to camp even though it screws up
Their junior teams for a week
Or two?

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Really, really doubt it. We will have pretty much the same team as last season, with only a few position battles. The goalies and defense are set with Cole getting a spot in the top 6 with Woywitka being the 7th. I'd imagine that Schwartz and maybe a couple other guys would come in to fight for a forward spot or 2. It would be less of a training camp and more of a hurry up and get ready so we can play type of thing.

MU_Beerman

May 20, 2004
Really, really doubt it. We will have pretty much the same team as last season, with only a few position battles. The goalies and defense are set with Cole getting a spot in the top 6 with Woywitka being the 7th. I'd imagine that Schwartz and maybe a couple other guys would come in to fight for a forward spot or 2. It would be less of a training camp and more of a hurry up and get ready so we can play type of thing.

This. I kind of wonder if they'll even have Schwartz in camp, aren't we a forward heavy already? Either way, the staff has been watching him so they know what they've got there by now I imagine. A week isn't much time to get ready for a season, even if you've been skating. The Blues are really fortunate to not have much turnover on the roster. I feel bad for Hitch, he had some grand plans for training camp so I've heard.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
I'm s ure that Rattie and the other Juniors, and European players will NOT be in "camp". But, I'd bet that Schwartz, Cole and one or two more Peoria players will be. The Rivs can call a few players up from Evansville to fill in for a week.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
I don't see any way that the junior players would be there in that situation. There is absolutely no doubt that the guys from Peoria would be though. I'd expect Schwartz and Cole to be dressed for our first game.

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
Peoria seems to have a logjam of players when everyone is healthy since they have been sending players to ECHL/CHL recently (Barriball, Ponich, Wannstrom, Beach, Nigro), but who else on that team has played at a level that merits a call up to the big camp?

Cole will be with the Blues, it looks like Schwartz will be in camp. I think Schwartz will have a tough time making the roster though, he certainly fits in on one of the left wing spots, but Dags should start with a spot somewhere in the Top 9 and SOB will likely start on the 4th line. Im thinking Schwartz will be the first man up from Peoria.

Dags-Backes-Oshie
McD-Steen-Tara
Perron-Bergy-Stew
SOB-Nichols-Langs
Porter-Reaves

Everyone is saying that there could be a lot of moves in the next week or two, I wonder if Dags might be on his way out. I will go out on a limb and predict either him or Stewart wont be on the roster by the end of the season. They are both RW goal scorers, we need a LW or C.

It would be cool to see Jaskin in camp, but there is no chance he would make this roster.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
I think that D'Agostini may be traded in a package for a defenceman, to make room for Schwartz. The D-man may not be a #2-3 type, that can team with Pietrangelo. But, he likely will be a Top-4 type, who can knock Woywitka down to Peoria, and free up Polak to team with Pietrangelo, and allow Cole to be eased in and provide rest for Jackman in the highly-compressed schedule.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
I don't expect any trades before the start of the season. I suspect we'll wait until we are a few weeks into the season before we address our defensive issues.

I like Stewart way more than Dags. He has a much higher up side I think.

Stewart undoubtedly has a much higher upside than D'Ags. But if I had to bet on which one will be here next season, then I'm taking D'Agostini.

MU_Beerman

May 20, 2004
They were saying today on tsn that the deadline would be likely pushed back into April (wtf?) ala 1995 lockout. If this is the case I wonder if Army will rush out and do something or wait until the final month/ 3 weeks of the season?

And to the above, I see it the same way. If Stewart doesn't pan out, there isnt a spot for him, and if he does, he's likely to be too expensive to keep. D'agostini is young and cheap and while he hasn't broken out (yet), he can play a number of roles, is low maintenance and is affordable.

Last edited:

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Stewart undoubtedly has a much higher upside than D'Ags. But if I had to bet on which one will be here next season, then I'm taking D'Agostini.
Strongly disagree. I don't think D'Agostini has any future with this team really.

And I keep seeing that D'Ags "can play a number of roles". What are those roles? Sometimes he uses his shot? That's about it. He's not very useful in any other situation. I just don't see it with him. He's an average player that benefited in 2010 because the rest of the forwards were injured.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Strongly disagree. I don't think D'Agostini has any future with this team really.

And I keep seeing that D'Ags "can play a number of roles". What are those roles? Sometimes he uses his shot? That's about it. He's not very useful in any other situation. I just don't see it with him. He's an average player that benefited in 2010 because the rest of the forwards were injured.

Nothing more than I just really can't see where Stewart fits into this team in the long term.

If Stewart has a good short season, do you really want to be handing him a multi-year deal at $3.5m+/per? With the rising team costs, the fact that you have to think he will always be a streaky player and that he hasn't been contributing when he hasn't been scoring... he would be the most expendable piece with the highest trade value.

D'Agostini is what he is. We know what we can expect, he can chip in, play LW or RW and won't cost a lot. I'm not making D'Agostini out to be anything more than he is, and I don't think we'd hesitate to trade him in a deal for a player we wanted. But if we need a player to for our top 9 next season while we wait for Rattie and Jaškin to develop... D'Agostini fits in most areas, including financially.

sh724

Jun 2, 2009
Missouri
Lets say the latest proposal brings a resolution and we have hockey. Do players like Rattie and other prospects get invited to camp even though it screws up
Their junior teams for a week
Or two?

Rattie is staying in Portland per Andy Strickland

Mr Dangles

Made of 100% genuine star stuff.
Sep 23, 2008
Arizona
No matter what happens, we have great depth. I say we just role with what we've got, and let the players earn their spots. After a bit we could re-evaluate and entertain trades.

Rizzo90

Nov 10, 2011

Yeah, BUT he did step up & kick some ass when called upon.... great character player:nod:

Fel09

Jul 29, 2011
Having players like D'agostini, Sobotka and Schwartz might make the difference when injuries will inevitably happen. Dags can play anywhere in the lineup and bring secondary scoring. I would start Schwartz in Peoria and bring him up if one of the top 9 is injured otherwise play Porter on the fourth line.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I don't mind D'Agostini. He is what he is - a solid secondary scorer. If they were to upgrade his spot that would be fine but it's not a priority IMO. He's not a 1st line caliber player but I wouldn't be surprised if he starts the season on the top line with Backes and Oshie. With his finishing abilities, he should fit well with those two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad