Training camp, rookies who are putting a show

Status
Not open for further replies.

dawgbone

Jun 24, 2002
Gwyddbwyll said:
What's happened to Jeff Drouin Deslauriers? I remember all the buzz that he was going to make the NHL last time around (he didnt).

Huh?

There was no NHL hockey last year, and 2 years ago he was going to the Q no matter what he did at camp.

I don't know anyone who ticketed Deslauriers for the NHL any of the past 2 years...

Rattrick

Oct 31, 2002
Orlando, FL
www.rattrick.com
Olesz has been putting on a show in South Florida. He scored a goal in our first preseason game and 2 in an intra-squad scrimmage (one in a shootout). Everyone who has seen him play has commented positively on his play.

St.Louis sports fan

Mar 1, 2002
St. Louis
Visit site
As per usual the Blues have no real skilled rookies.(Disappointed with Zakharov) If solid defense and thundering hits is what you like then you will love Zack Fitzgerald. He looks like Scott Stevens minus the offense. No joke. Of course the Blues will let him rot in the minors for 3 years and then release him, but When he catches up to the speed of the NHL he'll be a no.4 d-man at worse. Jason Bacashihua also looked awesome in the first scrimmage and if he doesn't beet out Divis and Sanford for the backup spot then somethings wrong. I tell you it's great to hear other teams prospects are looking good because beside Jackman, Backman, and McClement the Blues really don't have anyone ready. There seems to be some hope for Robin Jonsson, Roman Polak, David Backes, Alexei Shkotov , Carl Soderberg, and a few others, but NONE OF THEM were even in camp. To tell you how bad it is around here people at camp are getting excited about Jon DiSalvatore. I almost forgot Jeff Woywitka and Doug Lynch both looked really solid. The Blues have a good core of young blueliners developing, but no bluechippers. Of course fast forward 3 years down the line and Salvador, Weinrich, and probably Marc Bergevin will be in a Blues jersey.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Le Golie said:
Woah KH, where did you hear this from? Completely untrue and quite opposite. Nokelainen was the best of the three by a good margin in all three live games I saw. He was also the only one of the three who won a Tissot award for being one of Finland's top players, so I'm definitely not the only one with that opinion. He had a very good tournament.
Around the time of the draft that year, most major sources had Nokelainen rated below Tukonen and Korpikoski. I remember some reports even went so far as to basically imply that he'd leached his tournament numbers off of his wingers. Some said he wasn't as offensively talented, or at least that he didn't use his offensive abilities as well or often. Though, all seemed to agree that he was the best defensively of the trio.

KH1

Seph said:
Around the time of the draft that year, most major sources had Nokelainen rated below Tukonen and Korpikoski. I remember some reports even went so far as to basically imply that he'd leached his tournament numbers off of his wingers. Some said he wasn't as offensively talented, or at least that he didn't use his offensive abilities as well or often. Though, all seemed to agree that he was the best defensively of the trio.
Exactly. That theory has since proven very wrong though, as Milbury looks pretty darn smart for grabbing Nokie.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
do you have some sources for saying korpikoski was rated over noikelainen (hell i can't spell his name)?

i felt pretty sure he was rated higher than korpikoski, who jumped up a lot because his nice play at the WJC and 5 nations tournament.

KH1

Levitate said:
do you have some sources for saying korpikoski was rated over noikelainen (hell i can't spell his name)?

i felt pretty sure he was rated higher than korpikoski, who jumped up a lot because his nice play at the WJC and 5 nations tournament.
According to the ISS final mock Tukonen and Korpikoski would both go ahead of Nokie--in fact, they didn't even have Nokelainen going in the first round.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
luongofan said:
Olesz has been putting on a show in South Florida. He scored a goal in our first preseason game and 2 in an intra-squad scrimmage (one in a shootout). Everyone who has seen him play has commented positively on his play.
yeah, Olesz was easily one of the 5 best players on the ice for either side prospect wise in the game up in Raleigh (I'd say Olesz, Zigomanis, Horton, Hutchinson and Staal) so I'd have a hard time imagining him NOT making the Panthers this year.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
King Henry I said:
According to the ISS final mock Tukonen and Korpikoski would both go ahead of Nokie--in fact, they didn't even have Nokelainen going in the first round.

eh, i also remember the guys at TSN saying it was a good pick, and after the rumors of the isles looking to go "off the board", they said "that's not off the board, that's right about where he should go"

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Nokelainen have always been the best player of the 3. Tukkonen have size and can skate everyone knows how far that gets a player in these circles(scouts...) he is isn't that talented. Nokelainen though is a coach dream.

Korpikoski on the other hand who is the natural talent, although a late bloomer. Everything he does looks so easy.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Marc Staal is having a tremendous camp.Brandon Dubinsky was another camp standout before being returned to Portland.Staal might even see time in a pre-season game with the Rangers

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
It sounds like Schremp is going to get an opportunity to centre both Rita and Schremp tonight against Dallas. This game could be huge for both players in their effort to secure a roster spot.

Also of note, it's starting to look like Syvret has a very good chance at cracking the Oilers lineup as the 7th defenceman. MacTavish is apparently very impressed by his play so far...

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
No Devil has been overly impressive yet.....Foster is once again haveing a solid camp and Larry seems to like Parise. I don't know if Suglobov is impressing enough to force a winger out of NJ.

buckyhockey8

Jun 13, 2005
Madison, WI
In Chicago Rene Borque sounds like a lock at 2nd line wing. and Seabrook and Keith have strong chances at the blueline, but don't count out Barker.

MePutPuckInNet

Jan 1, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
I know most of you don't give a flying poo about the Minnesota Wild...and it's understandable, since they've had the reputation as being as boring as... well.....poo.

But, the reign of boredom is about to end. There are some guys in camp who will not make the team....but only because there's not enough room for everyone on the roster.

Benoit Pouliot, Peter Olvecky, AJ Thelen, Patrick O'Sullivan....to name a few. Maybe one or two of them will make the team, who knows. But, one thing, I honestly believe is they've got some serious talent coming up the system. May not see it this season - but it's coming.

And you will see a new and very much improved game from the Wild this year, regardless of whether or not any of those phat cat's make the team.

The speed of this team is gonna blow you away. Woooo hooooo!

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
i'm hoping that radulov gets at least the nine games that upshall got in 2002, because right now Radulov is playing better than any forward prospect ever has in Nashville training camp, and is looking much more like an NHL scorer than a junior scorer. So much so, in fact, that Preds fans are pondering what Walker could be traded for to make room for him.

Habsaku

Apr 28, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
nomorekids said:
i'm hoping that radulov gets at least the nine games that upshall got in 2002, because right now Radulov is playing better than any forward prospect ever has in Nashville training camp, and is looking much more like an NHL scorer than a junior scorer. So much so, in fact, that Preds fans are pondering what Walker could be traded for to make room for him.
Unless there's a 2nd line center coming your way it would make no sense in trading your top scorer to let a rookie play.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
nomorekids said:

nmk,
because nobody has a copy of the new CBA we don't know for sure if that under-10 games rule for junior players still applies. Reports out of Montreal last weekend were that if Guillaume Latendresse played even 1 game in the regular season his entry-level contract would kick in right away. But, I have not been able to confirm that yet. Either way, the Habs would have to sign Latendresse before the start of the regular season in order for him to play, obviously.

Which brings me to Radulov. I believe his case is different. I believe if the Preds are able to sign him before the start of the season, they CAN assign him to AHL Milwaukee because of the fact he was drafted out of Russia and not the CHL. I may be wrong about this but I am pretty sure this is the case. All the Preds need to do is to sign him, otherwise he cannot play anywhere but Quebec.

Habsaku

Apr 28, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
nomorekids said:
well, ideally there would be...and there is sense if it seems that the "top scorer" has quite obviously lost a step.

Quite obviously? I dont follow the Preds that much, but last season he had 67 points and there hasnt been any chance to judge him has there?

Preseason doesnt count.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Habsaku said:
Quite obviously? I dont follow the Preds that much, but last season he had 67 points and there hasnt been any chance to judge him has there?

Preseason doesnt count.

you can get a pretty good feel at camp. erat and hartnell have both been MUCH better in camp, and obviously sullivan and kariya have, as well. in all honesty, radulov has been better than walker, as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad