Training camp, rookies who are putting a show

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crusher20

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
AgentNaslund said:
Luc Bourdon. He skate and moves the puck like a NHL Defencemen. He was also one of the fastest defencemens too. Other then that, I dont think anyone else really dominated, Brandon Nolan was pretty good.

so what's up with brandon reid?

SmokeyClause

Feb 27, 2002
Miami, FL
Visit site
kruezer said:
Thats a good question I'd like to know the answer to as well, does anybody have any idea?

I can't believe how much Radulov flies under the radar.

I'm amazed at how well he's playing in camp. It was a foregone conclusion in my mind that he was going back to Quebec. But having seen him in camp, I'd have to say he's going to be given a long, long look. Any other year and this display would net him a spot on the big club. Sadly, he'd likely have to leapfrog two of Kariya, Sullivan, Walker, Erat, Hartnell to get a winger spot on the top two lines. We could go with a hybrid system that leaves no traditional third line checking role. That would open the door. We've done that before, but then what happens?

Kariya - Legwand - Walker
Sullivan - Johnson - Erat
Hartnell - Hall - Radulov?
Hordichuk - Nichol - Tootoo

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
SmokeyClause said:
I'm amazed at how well he's playing in camp. It was a foregone conclusion in my mind that he was going back to Quebec. But having seen him in camp, I'd have to say he's going to be given a long, long look. Any other year and this display would net him a spot on the big club. Sadly, he'd likely have to leapfrog two of Kariya, Sullivan, Walker, Erat, Hartnell to get a winger spot on the top two lines. We could go with a hybrid system that leaves no traditional third line checking role. That would open the door. We've done that before, but then what happens?

Hmm, I like the looks of that, but who is Radulov fighting for that spot? Upshall?

SmokeyClause

Feb 27, 2002
Miami, FL
Visit site
kruezer said:
Hmm, I like the looks of that, but who is Radulov fighting for that spot? Upshall?

We'll he's fighting on several fronts. Moving Hall to center only occurs if we don't feel that Beech, Perreault, Robitaille can fill a top 3 center spot. If not, Hall remains at wing to battle with Upshall, Gamache, Haydar, Pivko, and Radulov for a wing spot on the roster.

So he's fighting the centers. If he outplays them, the staff may feel it is best to move Hall to center just to keep Raddy in the lineup. And he's fighting Upshall, Hall, Gamache, Haydar, Pivko for a spot on the wing. He's more explosive than they are, but his lack of experience, strength, and stamina may cost him. It's my feeling that Gamache will be an NHLer this year. It may or may not be as a Pred, but he's ready. If they try to send him back, I think they have to waive him. And some team is going to pick him up and give him a shot. He's as ready as he'll ever be and deserves a shot.

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
SmokeyClause said:

actually I'd switch Erat & Sullivan

just because Sullivan shoots right handed, and erat shoots left handed ... makes sense to me ... that's the way I would put Erat and Sullivan, but that's just me

Erat - Johnson - Sullivan

LetsGoIslanders

Mar 6, 2005
NYC
Luciano Aquino, the Isles 7th (I believe) round pick from this year, from the Brampton Battalion has apparently impressed the brass enough to earn an entry-level contract with the club. He's been involved in the only fight of camp only to get cut for 10 stitches, so yeah, he's been playing with some real jam. He'll definitely start in the AHL, but earning a contract out of camp for such a low-round pick is quite an accomplishment.

JiriHrdina

Jul 8, 2005
kruezer said:
There hasn't been a ton of action from the young guys in Calgary from what I've heard, sounds like Phaneuf is a stellar as always though.

Yeah with few spots up for grab its been a relatively uneventful camp.

Phaneuf already had his spot all but assured. He's been very impressive but was expected to be.

Tomi Maki turned some heads early in camp with his energy and willingness to throw his body around despite not being huge. Apparently was a non-factor in last night's pre-season tilt.

Pelech was not impressive but Flames fans generally recognize he's a long-term prospect.

Nystrom is trying to earn his way on to the team. He's also pretty much been as advertised. Good skater, responsible defensively with some offensive abilities.

Brandon Rogers - the former Ducks prospects - is a guy I've been paying attention too to see if he earns a contract with Omaha. I like what I see from him. Smart player with good size.

The Krahn/Suave battle for the backup spot could end up being the most interesting battle as both played well last night and are expected to split time again tonight against Chicago

So there hasn't been a real "camp surprise" like many other teams but that's a summary of what's been happening (at least from my POV)

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
In Florida Rostislav Olesz has looked extremely good supposedly. He scored the only goal for his team in regulation in a scrimmage and then scored again in a shootout. His goal was supposedly a beauty where he split two defensmen.

Lukas Krajicek, one of my favorite prospects, has been playing extremely well so far and was singled out by Martin for his great play in the first 2 scrimmages.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
For the Sharks, Michalek has been playing well.

Setoguchi has quelled doubts about his ability by being the sharks second best forward prospects behind Michalek

Hennessey, Kaspar, and Bernier have been playing without much fire or intensity.

Gags1288

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Mike Richards was pretty good from all accounts with 3 assists tonight and a shoot out goal. He was also on the flyers PK and sounded as if he was the best Flyer on the ice.

Jeff Carter failed to register a point (though his linemate, Simon Gagne, registered a hat trick) though it sounded as if he was a little nervous. That's pretty understandable as it was a reunion and his first game wearing the orange and black. I have no doubt that both these guys will have terrific all around rookie seasons.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
kruezer said:

Radulov has surpassed Upshall, in my mind, in every way outside grit. It seemed like a reach pick at the time(that many of us scratched our heads about,) but his play looks so much like a young Kovalev that you can't help but feel excited...and he's got that obvious LOVE of the game and desire. A real joy to watch.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Thomas Vanek has started to click with Danny Briere, notching both the game tying and OT game winning goals tonight against the Caps. He's been putting on a show in the scrimmages as well.

Patrick Kaleta has turned some heads with his tenacious hitting in the intra-squad scrimmages this last week.

Mark Mancari has been one of the best Sabre forwards IMO all week. Now it remains to be seen if the Sabres decide to sign him or not. With Regier's track record, I would think he's going back to the OHL and then on to UFA next summer.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
King Henry I said:
Petteri Nokelainen continues to make people forget that he was considered the worst of his WJC line with Tukonen and Korpikoski.

Woah KH, where did you hear this from? Completely untrue and quite opposite. Nokelainen was the best of the three by a good margin in all three live games I saw. He was also the only one of the three who won a Tissot award for being one of Finland's top players, so I'm definitely not the only one with that opinion. He had a very good tournament.

turnbuckle*

I'm not sure he was saying Noky was the worst in any particular tourney, just considered the third best prospect from that famed WJC line.

NYRangers

Aug 11, 2004
Brandon Dubinsky has been the surprise so far. He made the scrimmage today when all the other junior players (except Staal) watched.

Staal has been awesome too. He's making a case to be on the Rangers next year. Haven't read anything bad and they have been putting him with the big boys.

Dawes is having a terrific camp too but Dubinsky is the story here. He and Staal will be dressing and playing in the games starting Tuesday.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
turnbuckle said:
I'm not sure he was saying Noky was the worst in any particular tourney, just considered the third best prospect from that famed WJC line.

Hope so.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
With 3 goals (2 goals in regulation and 1 of just 2 goals total in the shootout), Jussi Jokinen is making a strong push to make the team. The Stars have already delayed their first round of cuts to next week due to the tight competitiveness.

It's not often for a Stars fan to see multiple prospects having the chance to crack the team.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
From the Pens camp, outside Crosby, there are a few guys that impress :
- Carcillo : he plays intense hockey, and if he can control his temper and stop playing dirty he could make the team. He's played very well.
- Filewich : he has scored at a good clip.
- Hussey : as usual, the guy can't play in the AHL, but can do it all at the NHL level. He has 4 goals and 1 assist in three scrimmage games, and he is making a very strong push for an NHL spot. For reminders, he's a guy that can't play better than a fourth liner in WB, but in his lone callup (which was because of a massive number of injuries), he put up a point a game in the NHL.
- Fernholm has been rock solid. Him and Whitney have shut down Crosby's line the other day.

Last edited:

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Oh and of course, outside these surprises, Ryan Whitney and MA Fleury have both impressed a lot.
Whitney is making QB passes left and right right on the stick, and Fleury has been very quick.
Still both players will be really tested against NHL competition : Whitney has to be strong defensively, and Fleury has to work on his mental game.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Getzlaf was the Ducks best player in their pre-season game tonight vs. the Kings...

if he doesn't make the team I will start a fire Burke campaign.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Ott = Snott said:
With 3 goals (2 goals in regulation and 1 of just 2 goals total in the shootout), Jussi Jokinen is making a strong push to make the team. The Stars have already delayed their first round of cuts to next week due to the tight competitiveness.

It's not often for a Stars fan to see multiple prospects having the chance to crack the team.

After Jokinen had his star shining vs the Avs, another prospect competing for a spot shined during the game vs Edmonton. Vojtach Polak scored twice while assisiting on two more, and scored the lone, game winning shootout goal to put the cherry on the ice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad