Training camp, rookies who are putting a show

Status
Not open for further replies.

ABwind

Jun 17, 2005
ROBBIE SCHREMP

the hell with rookies this kid has been the best player in camp PERIOD

he lit up rookie camp
( lets see what he looks like in a game)

scored two goals in the rookies vs. U of A Golden Bears game
(lets see what he can do against pros)

scored two goals and had 9 or so shots on goal in the intra squad game
(lets see how handles a pre season game situation)

was voted first star of the game

the kid just keeps on impressing. He seems driven to make the big club not soon or a a year from now but RIGHT FREAKIN' NOW.

Hab-Dawgs

Apr 21, 2004
Montreal
DOn't know how anyone can say that latendresse is slowing down. He was a still a major presence out there today (friday) and he set up one of the nicest goals.

I think he's showing a lot of promise

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
Detroit:

Filppula is having a amazing camp. The kid is turning Babcocks head a lot and Babs might be looking at tossing this kid into the mix this year. Babcock has a tendency of liking youngsters, so this could be the move, filppula up, hudler back in the AHL for another year, probably the first call up

Franzen is a beast, i think he will make it due to his good play, huge size and gritty nature. 3-4th line slate, but i think hell end up being Homlstrom'ish..

KH1

In Isles camp, from what we've read on NewYorkIslanders.com Robert Nilsson is going bonkers up there. I'm sure they are exagerrating a little bit, but the stats from the last scrimmage show that he is very involved with the offense (he had 2 or 3 assists if I'm not mistaken.)

Petteri Nokelainen continues to make people forget that he was considered the worst of his WJC line with Tukonen and Korpikoski. Jeremy Colliton also appears to finally be ready to make the leap to the NHL soon, though his most likely destination is Bridgeport's top line.

Sean Bergenheim is making a serious push for a roster spot. Chris Campoli has already all but locked one up due to his fantastic chemistry with Brad Lukowich. That's not to say that Bruno Gervais hasn't had a nice camp too though.

All in all, I have to use the cliche: The Kids are Alright.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Schremp was named 1st star despite being held pointless in an Oilers 2-1 shoot-out win over Calgary tonight. Robbie's been dynamite offensively and he has held his own defensively as well. If he keeps this up he could be a top 5-10 Calder threat despite the great depth of prospects in this years Calder chase.

nesbit_21

Aug 2, 2005
With all the talk in EDM being about Schremp, and rightly so (he has been outstanding, will make the team IMO) there have been a couple other guys who have been very impressive.

Danny Syvret has been nothing but smooth and solid in every game i've seen him. Golden bears, intrasquad and now the first pre season. If he doesnt take a job from someone like Cross I will be very dissapointed.

JF Jaques. Very impressive. Huge (6'4'' 215) skates like the wind, good defensivley, great shot and hits as well as anyone I have seen in a long time. He leveld Robyn Regher with an open ice beuty in the first preseason game. Could play in the NHL very soon.

Yan Stastny: Solid leader, good puck skills, very fast and good defensivley. Looks like a stronger, grittier Mike York.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
nesbit_21 said:
Danny Syvret has been nothing but smooth and solid in every game i've seen him. Golden bears, intrasquad and now the first pre season. If he doesnt take a job from someone like Cross I will be very dissapointed.

I'm glad that Danny has looked that well, IMO he could one day be a damn solid #4 d-man. As for Cross, I hope that someone displaces him!!!

Yan Stastny: Solid leader, good puck skills, very fast and good defensivley. Looks like a stronger, grittier Mike York.

If Yan could be in the same league as York, we would've won the Boston trade hands down. If he is indeed in that league, IMO he should also make the team this year.

Crusher20

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Kasparov said:
"SLOWING DOWN:
Halak"

***?

he didnt even play in day 3.. lol

I read in the papers he got scored lots of goals and add hard time.. unless they mixed up the names.. dunno.. it was in le journal de montreal.

anyway.. might have been in day 2...

Heavy Fuel

Oilers:

Schremp, what they said ^^^. Is going to turn out to be a steal of that draft if he keeps it up. (I can't believe I said that about an Oiler draft pick.)

Syvret seemed to have a real "presence" out there. Kept his head under pressure, made quick, sharp passes to move the puck up, and was never out of position. Has a shot this year with his play and if not, I would expect him to be a regular by next year. Impressed me more than Greene, who came highly rated.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Stars..

Antti Miettinen has apparantly been amazing so far. He's been pulling off some sick moves and scored 2 goals in the scrimmage game yesterday. The 2003 Finnish League MVP might've actually locked up a spot one on of the top 2 lines, next to either Modano or Arnott. There's even talk that Miettinen might be one of the 3 shootout players alongside Zubov and Guerin/Modano. Between 40/50 points for the season wouldn't shock me..

Junior Lessard, after a quiet first days was the man of the match in the scrimmage game, scoring 3 goals while also assisting on one or two, not clear. His finishing skills come in handy and is in serious competition to make the opening day roster.

Yared Hagos has already pretty much made the team, baring horrible exhibition games ofcourse. He's been impressing everyone. Finishing checks, controlling opposition stars and contributing enough offensively to be noticed. He's playing a very mature game and is already pencilled in to center the Stars 4th or possibly even 3rd line whre his extremely hard work will be of good use.

Further notes:

- Jokinen and Eriksson, the Stars top offensive prospects are having a good camp and if it weren't for the competitiveness this year, they might've cracked the squad. Who ever seems more ready at the end of camp might actually stick (probably Jokinen seeing as he's older). I think that at least one of two will see time with the Stars this year sooner or later. Eriksson actually scored 2 nice goals in the scrimmage game.

- Jaroslav Svoboda is also a usefull player due to his versatility. Likely to to be the opening day roster, perhaps even as a 4th line winger. Showcasing good defensive instincts and some brilliant offensive flashes at times.

- Steve Ott, while not a prospect, is really elevating his game this year. He's been showing a lot more offensive potential and has been his usual gritty self.

- Mattias Tjärnqvist has been solid but unspectacular. He's had better outings with the team, but due to his mature and relatively safe game, the Holmstrom-esque player should have a great chance filling out the roster as the 4th line right winger.

- John Erskine finally seems to be showing some flashes why management was so high on him. He will get a strong look to complete the blueline.

Seems to be a very interesting and good camp..

DarkHorse

Go Banana!
Jul 15, 2003
Luciano Aquino, the Isles' 7th round pick this year, earned himself a contract. The team signed him last night. He'll most likely play in Bridgeport.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
What's happened to Jeff Drouin Deslauriers? I remember all the buzz that he was going to make the NHL last time around (he didnt).

No rookies are putting on a show for the Coyotes. Ballard did well in the rookie tourney earlier and LeNeveu has a perfect record so far but there's too much depth for them to make the NHL team yet.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
In Isles camp, from what we've read on NewYorkIslanders.com Robert Nilsson is going bonkers up there. I'm sure they are exagerrating a little bit, but the stats from the last scrimmage show that he is very involved with the offense (he had 2 or 3 assists if I'm not mistaken.)

from today's NY Newsday-

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hocke...ep17,0,6450179.story?coll=ny-hockey-headlines
Notes & quotes: Rookie Robert Nilsson had an outstanding game, with two assists on the power play and several other setups. Jeremy Colliton was another rookie who stood out ... Rick DiPietro allowed one goal in 40 minutes for the Blue team ... Mike Milbury received a standing ovation during a pregame ceremony when he was introduced to the sellout crowd.

oil slick

Feb 6, 2004
Gwyddbwyll said:
What's happened to Jeff Drouin Deslauriers? I remember all the buzz that he was going to make the NHL last time around (he didnt).

You are completely wrong. Last camp (2003) he had just been drafted. There was absolutely no way that he was going to play as an 18 year old.

This time around he's playing well, but it will definately be Conklin/Markkanen in goal and JDD will be in the AHL.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Well, Radulov and Parent are the only juniors to have survived the first round of cuts, and I think that in any other year Radulov would make this team. He's been scary good. My question...I know the CHL rule in regard to the AHL...but does it apply to Radulov, since he was drafted out of Russia, NOT the CHL? I really think he's good enough for the AHL this year and that he's not going to learn much more in junior...

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
At the Sens intrasquad game, Andrei Meszaros layed a huge hit on Peter Schaefer (was a highlight on tsn) and added an assist. Murray commented after the game about Meszaros that he looked good and could turn into a regular contributor for the team by the end of the year (infer out of that what you will). Still not assured of making the team, but will get a long look. Still a little more likely he starts in Bingo and gets lots of minutes there and acts as one of the first injury call-ups.

Brandon Bochenski scored while playing on a line with Spezza and Heatley. Heatley had two goals and Spezza three assists (some nice ones too). It looks like Bo will continue to get a long look on that line, although he could obviously get moved from that line at any time. But Murray keeps saying good things about him. Adjust your fantasy drafts accordingly...

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
oil slick said:
You are completely wrong. Last camp (2003) he had just been drafted. There was absolutely no way that he was going to play as an 18 year old.

It wasnt me saying it.

oil slick

Feb 6, 2004
Gwyddbwyll said:
It wasnt me saying it.

OK - I'm not too sure who you were hearing this from, but there really wasn't any buzz about him making the team from anywhere I know about.

At the end of 2003-2004 he played very well in the playoffs and people got excited... maybe that is what you are thinking of, but even then I don't know too many level headed fans who didn't realize he needed more seasoning.

Sammy*

Gwyddbwyll said:
It wasnt me saying it.
Oh, I'm sure there was someone, somewhere saying it. Just no one with the Oil nor their fanbase ever suggested such a thing.

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
nomorekids said:
Well, Radulov and Parent are the only juniors to have survived the first round of cuts, and I think that in any other year Radulov would make this team. He's been scary good. My question...I know the CHL rule in regard to the AHL...but does it apply to Radulov, since he was drafted out of Russia, NOT the CHL? I really think he's good enough for the AHL this year and that he's not going to learn much more in junior...
Thats a good question I'd like to know the answer to as well, does anybody have any idea?

I can't believe how much Radulov flies under the radar.

AgentNaslund*

Luc Bourdon. He skate and moves the puck like a NHL Defencemen. He was also one of the fastest defencemens too. Other then that, I dont think anyone else really dominated, Brandon Nolan was pretty good.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
King Henry I said:

Petteri Nokelainen continues to make people forget that he was considered the worst of his WJC line with Tukonen and Korpikoski. Jeremy Colliton also appears to finally be ready to make the leap to the NHL soon, though his most likely destination is Bridgeport's top line.

Sean Bergenheim is making a serious push for a roster spot. Chris Campoli has already all but locked one up due to his fantastic chemistry with Brad Lukowich. That's not to say that Bruno Gervais hasn't had a nice camp too though.

All in all, I have to use the cliche: The Kids are Alright.

IMO Campoli will be in the top 4 by the end of the season. I really like this kid's game.

Glad to see Bergenheim getting back into the thick of things. He's going to be a good one as well.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Gwyddbwyll said:

He may start as the back-up this season unless he's out-played by Mike Morrison. Markannen is injured and may miss the start of the season. Jeff was hurt last season so he didn't get a full season in the AHL, IMO he's still 2 years away from the NHL if he can pick up his game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->