Training Camp Predictions

DirtyDangler 91

Aug 10, 2010
Gatineau, Quebec
Assuming a deal is reached between the NHL and NHLPA, what do you predict will happen at Leafs training camp?

- Ranger will be invited to camp stealing a spot which earns him an NHL contract.
- Caryle tries multiple players during scrimmages to center Kessel. (VanRiemsdyk, Bozak, Grabo, Kadri, Connolly)
- Kadri finally earns his spot on te roster while Frattin does not.
- Komisarek comes to camp in great shape and Carlyle praises him through out camp.

What are yours?

jmart21

MISC!!!
Nov 16, 2009
All Over The Place
Assuming a deal is reached between the NHL and NHLPA, what do you predict will happen at Leafs training camp?

- Ranger will be invited to camp stealing a spot which earns him an NHL contract.
- Caryle tries multiple players during scrimmages to center Kessel. (VanRiemsdyk, Bozak, Grabo, Kadri, Connolly)
- Kadri finally earns his spot on te roster while Frattin does not.
- Komisarek comes to camp in great shape and Carlyle praises him through out camp.

What are yours?

I don't think the issue with Ranger is EARNING and NHL contract; it's getting him to sign one....

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
I think Ranger would sign a deal, but their would definitely have to be a NMC on it. He doesn't want to play anywhere but Toronto.

I said it last year about Komisarek, that he would come into camp on a mission. meh, i'll go with it again.

Finally I'll say the mac-grabo-kule line looks stellar in camp and Carlyle is forced to roll a 3 line team with JVR on the 3rd (with Kadri and Frattin)

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT
1. Kulemin rolls into camp with tons of confidence and has a great start.

2. Ranger gets an invite to our camp and strongly looked at.

3. Reimer and Liles are their former selves. (*crosses fingers.*)

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Rielly and Broll both get sent back to Junior.

Nazem earns a top six spot.

Ranger earns a NHL contract.

Loungo goes goalless in all scrimmage games :sarcasm:

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
I think Ranger would sign a deal, but their would definitely have to be a NMC on it. He doesn't want to play anywhere but Toronto.

I said it last year about Komisarek, that he would come into camp on a mission. meh, i'll go with it again.

Finally I'll say the mac-grabo-kule line looks stellar in camp and Carlyle is forced to roll a 3 line team with JVR on the 3rd (with Kadri and Frattin)

I really wish we would go with a 3 line approach. I've wanted that for a long time.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
I don't think the issue with Ranger is EARNING and NHL contract; it's getting him to sign one....

I'm not nearly as concerned. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if there's a piece of paper waiting to be signed in Burke's office right now.

I think the trickier scenario will if he plays well then trying to re-sign him in the summer(assuming he only signs a prorated 1 year deal). With the cap staying at 60m trying to access his value over the next few seasons will be difficult by going off of half a year in the AHL and half in the NHL after the lay off that he had.

Could be another Lupul type of situation in the making.

Last edited:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

I would think there is already an agreement in place. I thought the reason he signed an AHL contract was to allow him to play during the lockout.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Luongo will be the starter and the fans will be optimistic going into the season with a long awaited quality goalie.

Who replaces Bozak with Kessel will be the biggest question.

CHRoNiCWiLL

Mar 17, 2010
GTA
All our key players gets injured and half the marlies roster plays for the leafs.
We then proceed to finish last due to inexperience and win the draft lottery.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Rielly and Frattin have disappointing showings; Kessel scores 50 before lunch.

He's already got 10 by the time he turns the coffee pot on.

Someone is injured in training camp and Ranger earns an NHL contract as a result.

Frattin makes the team, Kadri does not.

One of Ashton, D'amigo make Burke think hard about giving them a spot.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
My Predictions:

- Kadri, Frattin and Ranger make the team
- Broll and Rielly are sent back to Junior (though Rielly will be a late cut)
- Franson, Connolly and Lombardi are traded (with us retaining much of the salary and cap hit)
- Luongo is NOT acquired
- Komisarek will be #7 D and traded at the deadline or bought out in the summer.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
All our key players gets injured and half the marlies roster plays for the leafs.
We then proceed to finish last due to inexperience and win the draft lottery.

There will be a lot of injuries on all teams due to the shortened season. Teams with the most depth will have a huge advantage here.

The AHL will play a huge role in which teams make it this year.

Hmm I wonder which teams have the best AHL teams? (i.e. best depth)

Dangles McGavin

RIP Lounge
Jul 7, 2010
Seattle/Waterloo
Bozak comes out of the gate looking good. Manages to finish the season at a 65 point pace.

Ranger doesn't sign, finishes season in the AHL and we'll see what happens from there.

Rielly plays half and half. Half of the games he will blow people away with his skill, half of the games he shows his defensive weakness and therefore doesn't finish the team but leaves reason for optimism.

JVR looks good, ready to have a great season.

Lupes looks bad in camp, looks amazing during the season.

Lombardi comes back looking good. I hate him.

Komisarek is in our #5/6 D.

Franson traded for a decent forward prospect.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
If we run a three line team, do you think the Carlyle uses the Grabo line as the shutdown line?

He was definitely one of our better two-way players last year.

Led the team in take-aways (49tka, 45gva), decent faceoff percentage (51.5%), and often faced off against the opposing top line.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
camp is gonna be only 6-7 days this year opposed to the 14-21 days it normal consists of if there's a season. there wont be much compitition in Camp and the team will be pretty much already picked based on players who are currently playing in other places. Broll and Rielly will be brought in for the expierence and then sent down. wheather Kadri/Frattin makes the team or gets sent down probably has alot more to do with what they've done on the Marlies to this point then what they do in a 6-7 day camp which may not even have an exhibition game. same things with other guys like Holzer/Komarov and other Marlies players.

I expect this camp to be mostly Carlyle trying to put into place a new mindset and system into the players heads, and working on that as Carlyle didn't have a ton of time to do that last season, thus making sure everyone is on the same page at the start of game 1 because every game is gonna be that much more important from the get go in a 48 game season.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
camp is gonna be only 6-7 days this year opposed to the 14-21 days it normal consists of if there's a season. there wont be much compitition in Camp and the team will be pretty much already picked based on players who are currently playing in other places. Broll and Rielly will be brought in for the expierence and then sent down. wheather Kadri/Frattin makes the team or gets sent down probably has alot more to do with what they've done on the Marlies to this point then what they do in a 6-7 day camp which may not even have an exhibition game. same things with other guys like Holzer/Komarov and other Marlies players.

I expect this camp to be mostly Carlyle trying to put into place a new mindset and system into the players heads, and working on that as Carlyle didn't have a ton of time to do that last season, thus making sure everyone is on the same page at the start of game 1 because every game is gonna be that much more important from the get go in a 48 game season.

Then expect the Leafs to start slow. I just don't think 6-7 days will
be enough for RC to impart his system, they will eventually get it
and play better. Playoffs will hinge, on how long it takes for the
team to get it.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Kadri makes the roster and doesn't get sent back to the Marlies.

Luongo becomes their #1 Goalie.

Lombardi, Connolly, and Steckel are traded or will become healthy scratches.

Komisarek is bought out.

Franson gets traded.

Holzer makes their Defense full time.

Razor

Say no to Luongo.
Jun 18, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
Kadri makes the roster and doesn't get sent back to the Marlies.

Luongo becomes their #1 Goalie.

Lombardi, Connolly, and Steckel are traded or will become healthy scratches.

Komisarek is bought out.

Franson gets traded.

Holzer makes their Defense full time.

I would add Ranger to this as well, think they both replace Franson and Komisarek.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad