GDT: Training Camp 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I think you’re right in that MacEwen gave the team confidence to let go of Leivo. I just hope they give MacEwen that chance this year.

Very excited to see what Hoglander can do.
If it doesn't happen then we have a very special player in Nils Hoglander. Horvat plays a lot of tough minutes and if Nils can be that reliable as a just turned 20yr old with the talent he has. We hit the jackpot.

I'm tempering things until i see some games. I was of the thought that MacEwen would be an important top9 piece in a season with so many playoff type rivalry games.

This team is bursting with young potential talents right now it's very exciting

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
If it doesn't happen then we have a very special player in Nils Hoglander. Horvat plays a lot of tough minutes and if Nils can be that reliable as a just turned 20yr old with the talent he has. We hit the jackpot.

I'm tempering things until i see some games. I was of the thought that MacEwen would be an important top9 piece in a season with so many playoff type rivalry games.

This team is bursting with young potential talents right now it's very exciting
Wasn’t Brad “The Rat” Marchand a second rounder too? Hogs just might be our second round thievery. :nod:

Reactions: Ginger Papa

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
I think you’re right in that MacEwen gave the team confidence to let go of Leivo. I just hope they give MacEwen that chance this year.

Very excited to see what Hoglander can do.
The team attempted to sign Leivo and offered similar terms to Calgary. Possibly this kept them out of a bidding war, however.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Another thing to keep in mind on Hoglander is he is currently in mid season form. He has a full SHL training camp under his belt as well as 23 games of pro hockey. That’s not to take away from what he is doing, but he has a step up in a few capacities.
Games in the SHL on the bigger ice only carry so much value, when it comes to transitioning to the NHL. Hoglander already admitting in interviews that the game is far faster on the smaller ice, with the decision-making and speed required far more demanding.

So I don't think his conditioning and game-readiness have much to do with how well his training camp has gone. He just may be one of those European players who thrives on the smaller ice surface.

One thing's for certain. He's going to be tested in Edmonton. The Oilers always love to pound the Canuck forwards down low and along the wall.

Reactions: Indiana

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
I think people are being a bit too quick to conclude the defense is necessarily improved. On paper, I don’t really disagree that it very well may end up being improved, but I have some concerns:

1. Edler. He’s in his mid thirties and injury prone. While it’s very difficult to predict the timing of age related decline, we all know it exists, and like it it not, within the next year, two or three it’s likely Edler drops off a cliff and is no longer a top four defensemen. If that happens this year, then this defense has a major hole;
  2. Hamonic / Hamonic and Hughes. I think Hamonic is a big question mark given his recent decline and extended absence. Also, it remains to be seen whether a Hamonic and Hughes pairing is anywhere near as efffictive as the Tanev and Hughes pairing. It’s quite possible that Hughes’ play suffers as a result
  3. Juolevi. I’m happy to hear he has looked good and desperately want him to be an NHL defensemen, but less than two weeks of play doesn’t undo years of very suspect development.

Lastly, while not strictly defense related, the obvious goalie downgrade is likely to fecpose our defense / system more this year than last.
Far happier with this D-core than having to figure out where to slot in Pouliot, Del Zotto and Gudbranson.
Edler is one of those guys that I think has fallen off from his peak but his skill and experience will keep him as an effective D-man into his later 30s, just not as a top 4. I don't think he'll drop off a cliff. At his bottom I think he will be a solid 3rd pairing D-man with the ability to kill penalties and move on to a 2nd pairing when injuries occur. But only for the next 2 or 3 years.
Add: I'm fine with Juolevi if he can kill penalties at this level. Give him a year or two and he will probably be ready to be that shutdown guy when Edler hangs them up. At that point Hughes and Rathbone should be taking all the offensive minutes on the left side.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Far happier with this D-core than having to figure out where to slot in Pouliot, Del Zotto and Gudbranson.
Edler is one of those guys that I think has fallen off from his peak but his skill and experience will keep him as an effective D-man into his later 30s, just not as a top 4. I don't think he'll drop off a cliff. At his bottom I think he will be a solid 3rd pairing D-man with the ability to kill penalties and move on to a 2nd pairing when injuries occur. But only for the next 2 or 3 years.

I think it’s a combination of both, to be honest. I just question if he would have been able to perform this well in camp if he didn’t have that much hockey under his belt, this late NHL camp may just be the advantage that Hoglander needed to potentially crack the NHL a year early.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
I think it’s a combination of both, to be honest. I just question if he would have been able to perform this well in camp if he didn’t have that much hockey under his belt, this late NHL camp may just be the advantage that Hoglander needed to potentially crack the NHL a year early.
Not sure you meant to reply to me...I was talking Defense.
But, in any case, I agree that Hoglander's game ready condition gave him a very big advantage in camp this year.

Reactions: supercanuck

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Games in the SHL on the bigger ice only carry so much value, when it comes to transitioning to the NHL. Hoglander already admitting in interviews that the game is far faster on the smaller ice, with the decision-making and speed required far more demanding.

So I don't think his conditioning and game-readiness have much to do with how well his training camp has gone. He just may be one of those European players who thrives on the smaller ice surface.

One thing's for certain. He's going to be tested in Edmonton. The Oilers always love to pound the Canuck forwards down low and along the wall.
Who on the Oiler’s D skates well enough, and is tough enough o pound a guy as quick and skilled as Hogs? I can see D getting over zealous attacking Hogs along the walls, and he just spins away and gets to the net front. Hogs is built like a block, and is extremely strong on his skates. Combine that with being super quick, and D will have to pin him, rather than pound him.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
It’s a lot of things, definitely the in shape part but he also has zero competition for the spot.

He’s been pencilled in line Virtanen was in the past. He looks much better suited to handle the NHL than Virtanen was.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Who on the Oiler’s D skates well enough, and is tough enough o pound a guy as quick and skilled as Hogs? I can see D getting over zealous attacking Hogs along the walls, and he just spins away and gets to the net front. Hogs is built like a block, and is extremely strong on his skates. Combine that with being super quick, and D will have to pin him, rather than pound him.
Nurse quite easily.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
I’m reading reports that Boeser has looked like one of the best forwards in camp. That would be huge if he can return to top form.

needs that rookie boeser back but with his improvement of play from away the puck. he will get a chance to score when opportunity arises.

VNCVR

Oct 27, 2020
I would have fully agreed had Hoglander not burst onto the scene. I get the feeling that if Hogs falters though that Zack may have a chance to prove this.

Little doubt in my mind that he asserts himself as an important piece going forward this year. Even if it's just as a btm 6 guy with some toughness and willingness to drop the gloves and chip in some goals. He has some really good skills for a big man. I get the feeling they weren't too worried about Leivo due to Zack MacEwen's potential.

Regardless, there will be injuries. He will get his opportunity, probably sooner than people expect. Especially with this compact schedule

Reactions: sting101

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
So I think the team will be making its roster cuts today or tomorrow. Wednesday is Game 1, and players need a day to go through waivers, so I don’t think the Canucks can leave it later than tomorrow.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Hamonic is released from quarantine today

200.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad