---------------------------------
Hughes Schmidt

Edler Myers

Juolevi Benn

----------------------------------
Holtby, Demko

Ferland - LTIR

Baer, Eriksson, Rafferty, Brisebois, Rathbone,

Hoglander (Fit him in?) - Makes the team or Sweden/AHL he goes.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
miller petey boeser
pearson horvat jake
motte-sutter "might get traded soon or earlier if van can find a better centerman"/gaudette
jayce hawryluk beagle macewen

roussel traded.

Defense pairings:
hughes/schmidt
edler/myers
Olli Juolevi/benn

ferland-LTIR forever

maybe use that money to sign a veteran dman?

Reactions: Ginger Papa

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
so guys like eriksson/baesrschi can be waived but used as reserves but their cap hits still count if they get picked up?Will waivers be required for players to clear to be placed on a taxi squad? How many players can be there? How do you activate that player from the taxi squad and how many moves can you freely make as an NHL club?

Bam19

Apr 3, 2008
so guys like eriksson/baesrschi can be waived but used as reserves but their cap hits still count if they get picked up?Will waivers be required for players to clear to be placed on a taxi squad? How many players can be there? How do you activate that player from the taxi squad and how many moves can you freely make as an NHL club?
I assume the taxi squad would operate exactly as if they were playing in the NHL. So waiver etc would apply Loui would still count 5 mill against the cap.

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
According to tweets on the main board, including from TSN Frank Servelli, teams could go with a 21 man roster subject to cap and then push those extra 2 players to the 6 player taxi squad. As opposed to a 23 man roster subject to a cap, this would save teams up to 2.2 million in cap (i.e. 2 salaries at 1.1 million or max amount allowed to be buried in the AHL). Tweets on main board are saying how this benefits the Leafs but this would also benefit any cap strapped team, such as Van.

A quick look on capfriendly shows that even with Ferland on the roster, shipping Baertschi and Eriksson to the taxi squad would give us a roster of 20 with 1.5 million to spend on a bottom pair right D. If Ferland is on IR, then we would get another 3.5 million in flex (i.e. up to 5 million to sign two payers).

I'm surprised and sceptical the NHL would allow this. If it does then I would expect us to sign at least 1 UFA (prob RD) and maybe another UFA forward if Ferland goes on IR.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
According to tweets on the main board, including from TSN Frank Servelli, teams could go with a 21 man roster subject to cap and then push those extra 2 players to the 6 player taxi squad. As opposed to a 23 man roster subject to a cap, this would save teams up to 2.2 million in cap (i.e. 2 salaries at 1.1 million or max amount allowed to be buried in the AHL). Tweets on main board are saying how this benefits the Leafs but this would also benefit any cap strapped team, such as Van.

A quick look on capfriendly shows that even with Ferland on the roster, shipping Baertschi and Eriksson to the taxi squad would give us a roster of 20 with 1.5 million to spend on a bottom pair right D. If Ferland is on IR, then we would get another 3.5 million in flex (i.e. up to 5 million to sign two payers).

I'm surprised and sceptical the NHL would allow this. If it does then I would expect us to sign at least 1 UFA (prob RD) and maybe another UFA forward if Ferland goes on IR.

Very good point, this just completely open the door for a potential hammer signing

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
This is favourable for us, if true. I think it’s good as well, both for teams and players, considering the unanticipated cap crunch that teams are feeling. That is also leading to many quality players without contracts.

LuLover96

Feb 28, 2017
Do carry over contracts still count against the cap hit? Or could Loui opt out of playing so we can sign a guy like Hoffman to a one year deal?

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
Just to say that even though TSN Servalli tweeted it I don't necessarily believe the 21 roster thing.

Do carry over contracts still count against the cap hit? Or could Loui opt out of playing so we can sign a guy like Hoffman to a one year deal?

I think teams have the option of carrying forward a player contract that opts out. It is not a requirement. Doubt very much Van would carry forward an Eriksson or Baerstchi type contract. We made our roster based on having those anchors and we aren't going to have them longer than necessary. Now if Pettersson, Hughes, Horvat, Miller, Schmidt, or Demko opt out, then ya I think we carry forward those contracts.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
According to Cap Friendly, with the signing of Bailey, the Canucks are now $1.5m over the salary cap. So even if they stash Ferland on LTIR, it still leaves very little room to add another d-man either via trade or free agency.

How much could they save if they put Eriksson and Baertschi on waivers and demoted them to the minors? Assuming everyone else is healthy to start the season, looks like the Canucks will have little choice but to play the kids on their blueline.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
I think Canucks will add a few pieces once Ferland goes on LTIR and send some down/taxi Squad. Pretty excited for this season I think Canucks can beat any Canadian team.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Once you get past the top 4 forwards this team drops off a cliff.

So many replaceable players.

Where can you even add? One more defensman but they’ve got so many forwards under contract.

Imagine not having to worry about Beagle and Roussel right now, but they’ve got 2 years left, no trade value and are negative impact players at a decent amount of the teams cap.

One thing that might be interesting is seeing which players hit waivers from other teams. Might be some claimable young talent from deeper teams.

Reactions: David71

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I think Canucks will add a few pieces once Ferland goes on LTIR and send some down/taxi Squad. Pretty excited for this season I think Canucks can beat any Canadian team.
Do you think the free agents will wait until the season starts to sign? I have my doubts on that. I’d imagine they’d want to establish themselves in their new teams ASAP.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Do you think the free agents will wait until the season starts to sign? I have my doubts on that. I’d imagine they’d want to establish themselves in their new teams ASAP.

That's actually a pretty good point, especially regarding Canadian teams whose players would need a 14 day quarantine period. Can't Canucks go over the cap and into the LTIR savings though? I'm not really an expert on Cap workings.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
That's actually a pretty good point, especially regarding Canadian teams whose players would need a 14 day quarantine period. Can't Canucks go over the cap and into the LTIR savings though? I'm not really an expert on Cap workings.
I’m not 100% on how it works either but I think Ferland has to be on the opening roster. There isn’t LTIR in the offseason.

I imagine the better free agents are getting antsy to sign. Especially if they’re taking one year deals to up their values. Starting with a new team late is a bad recipe for building up your value imo.

And Ferland can’t be a taxi squad player. He has a NMC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->