Patriots/NFL 2020 - Football is back

Status
Not open for further replies.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I'm not optimistic about this season getting off the ground. Basketball and hockey you can do a bubble. Baseball is reasonably socially distanced by nature (though we're really on the fence with that getting out of control). But football rosters are 53-men, training camps start with 90-something players, and the turnover throughout the year of practice squad guys coming and going, people going on IR, new guys coming in. Just from the humanity aspect of it, doesn't seem good. Not to mention that once we get going, physical contact is the essence of the sport itself. Every play has linemen in each others' face, tackling, etc. If one person brings in the Rona, the whole thing's blown up. One lineman on the Dolphins or whoever goes to the beach without a mask, all of a sudden the entire AFC is on respirators.

GlenFeatherstone

Feb 15, 2016
Ok let’s look at these.

Vitale- With Johnson and Keene able to line up there I’m not worried

Bolden- Potentiality the deepest part of team besides DBs. Not worried

Chung- If Mccourty plays. They still have Brooks plus Phillips and Dugger. Not worried.

Cannon- I loved Yondy Cajuste going into that draft. I was of the opinion if he’s healthy he could of taken Cannon’s job. If he is healthy not worried.

Hightower- This hurts. Especially losing Van Noy and Collins. He would of given Uche and Jennings a solid veteran leader to follow at the position. To me the only opt out that worries me.

And kudos to all guys for putting family and themselves ahead of money. I’d never knock a guy for opting out for those reasons. Well done gentlemen.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Hightower's mom has diabetes and I believe she lives with him so on top of the baby it was a no brainer

didn’t even know that, he absolutely shouldn’t play

Plus he’ll be fresher for next year when we hopefully aren’t playing a joke of a season

Reactions: Maine Fan

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
It's hard to imagine it working and the thought of no football in the fall sucks,but it is what it is.

2020 absolutely sucks..

It does suck. When stuff first shut down in March, I believed there was no chance that the NFL season would be in jeopardy because things should've been under control by then. But idiot anti-maskers and idiot protestors running around, spreading it all May and June ruin things for everyone.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
It's hard to imagine it working and the thought of no football in the fall sucks,but it is what it is.

2020 absolutely sucks..

There’s too many people involved and too much body fluid being exchanged on every play for it to possibly work out. Only way they can do it is if they get a bubble in Wyoming or something and that will never be agreed upon

Easily the worst year of my existence in terms of outside pressures that aren’t exclusive to me, that’s for sure. There’s never been a harder time to live your life in my lifetime

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
What they should do is push everything back a few months and see where we are in October or November in terms of containment and vaccines before deciding whether to continue. You can hold the season from November to March, no big deal. More snow games would be fun.

But this is a bad time to open up camps and if it goes sideways, you're going to lose the entire season altogether.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
What they should do is push everything back a few months and see where we are in October or November in terms of containment and vaccines before deciding whether to continue. You can hold the season from November to March, no big deal. More snow games would be fun.

But this is a bad time to open up camps and if it goes sideways, you're going to lose the entire season altogether.

very good point, hopefully they can do something like that

It’s gonna be so hard to do without a bubble and even then it’s hard to contain some of these manchildren

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

not much is gonna change until society here decides it must collectively change.

Vaccine ? Lucky this time next year. And then if that lucky 2 to 3 years to have enough to go around. Anything else is just moonbeams, unicorns and magic beans.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
cant get mad at someone valuing health and well being over money..
This is the only answer.

Anyone getting mad over an athlete prioritizing their health and family, EVER, but especially with what's going on in the world currently, should just turn in their fan card and stop watching sports.

"But they get paid millions!!!" Shut up, who cares. They are still human beings.

Reactions: Maine Fan

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I think as we inch closer to the deadline of opting out, you will see a glut of players staying home this season, and rightly so. The NFL is still talking about having fans attend, FFS. :laugh:

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I think as we inch closer to the deadline of opting out, you will see a glut of players staying home this season, and rightly so. The NFL is still talking about having fans attend, FFS. :laugh:
Pat Chung did an interview with CBS This Morning and hinted that more may be coming. He also said Bill understood and was supportive of his decision

Reactions: Maine Fan and LSCII

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Pat Chung did an interview with CBS This Morning and hinted that more may be coming. He also said Bill understood and was supportive of his decision

Any player that has a newborn or has a wife/significant other about to give birth would be foolhardy to not opt out. There's no need to risk your baby's well being over a football game.

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
If the season ever started,which I doubted, I was excited to see what the Pats could do, especially if Cam became the Starter. Now with so many players backing out, for good reasons, I think it would be best to not have a season.

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
Can you smelllllllllll...

what The Rock....

is buying?

Rock-solid buy: Ex-WWE star, group to own XFL

A group including actor and former WWE star Dwayne Johnson has agreed to purchase the XFL for approximately $15 million, according to a news release issued Monday morning.

The XFL declared Chapter 11 bankruptcy April 13 and has been seeking a buyer for the past three months, marketing itself as a made-for-TV product that could transition as early as 2021 to a bubble concept during the coronavirus pandemic. It is unclear when Johnson and his investors -- who also include his business partner and ex-wife, Dany Garcia, along with RedBird Capital Partners -- plan to revive the league.

Reactions: JCRO

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Can you smelllllllllll...

what The Rock....

is buying?

Rock-solid buy: Ex-WWE star, group to own XFL

A group including actor and former WWE star Dwayne Johnson has agreed to purchase the XFL for approximately $15 million, according to a news release issued Monday morning.

The XFL declared Chapter 11 bankruptcy April 13 and has been seeking a buyer for the past three months, marketing itself as a made-for-TV product that could transition as early as 2021 to a bubble concept during the coronavirus pandemic. It is unclear when Johnson and his investors -- who also include his business partner and ex-wife, Dany Garcia, along with RedBird Capital Partners -- plan to revive the league.
A1 delivery on this one Gator Mike.

Well done.

Reactions: Gator Mike

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Honestly the XFL looked like a viable spring league for about 3 weeks there before the Rona railroaded their entire season. Vince McMahon kind of got screwed by timing, but he's a billionaire so no one feels bad for him. With the Rock backing it, I think they can keep it going as a developmental/alternative type of league in the spring/summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad