Confirmed with Link: Training Camp 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
Same. Just trying to identify other prospects who made need a change. This is 3 years where Nylander has failed to make the Sabres. But he hasn't looked very good in the A either.

I wonder whether Boston would be a good trading partner. Perhaps a deal around Senyshyn and Strome?

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I wonder whether Boston would be a good trading partner. Perhaps a deal around Senyshyn and Strome?
Both AHL rookies last year; Zach was a 0.39 pts/gm winger, Dylan was a 1.06 pts/gm center. Their scoring has always been this lopsided.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Success elsewhere=Runblad/Gormley/Duke, anyone else kill it elsewhere? You guys are funny, first Tip was an idiot with young players, now its Tocc. If Strome doesn't make it here, he won't elsewhere either (In the NHL). It's not the teacher, its the student:)
I think we have to be fair when evaluating Strome and these three. Most knew Rundblad and Gormley were not NHL calibre early in there career and they did not have the success Strome has had at any level. Duclair has talent, it's what's between the ears that is preventing him from excelling in the NHL. IF Duclair figures it out he could be a good player. According to Chayka, Strome has done everything asked of him and they still value him highly as a player. I think you are the one that always said it's the coach responsibility to put a player in the best position to be successful. RT has not done that with Strome this preseason. When he put Strome with Domi, he produced. Why is that? Most times I would agree with you that the player is responsible for not being successful, and Strome has to take much of the responsibility for not producing, but in this case I believe RT is as much to blame. I had a feeling this was going to happen to Strome, with the way RT talked about him. Strome will never be a 1C, but I truly believe he can be as productive or more so than a player like DVO. I will bet, we will never see it here, unfortunately.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Strome is just going to take some time...it is just now that his skating looks adequate. Now, he really needs to work on gaining strength...we all want him to have immediate success, especially because he was the 3rd overall pick, but the most likely scenario is that he won't hit his stride until 3yrs from now. We need to be patient with him and he could turn out to be a 50-60pt C, that will go along with our other 50-60pt C (Hayton, Stepan, Dvorak). The good news is that we've got a lot of guys that will put up pts in that range, and the good news is that you don't have to be paying gobs of money out to multiple players.

We've got Keller & OEL that will be earning big $$, hopefully Chucky does well too and we can pay him. But we as an organization can't afford too many guys that are superstars, so maybe by having a lot of really good depth will be cheap enough to keep for a long time.
Strome's time is now, not three years from now. Give him a chance. IF he can't cut it, move on.

Mosby

<3 Uncle Gary
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
It's just crazy that the bar was set at Brad Richardson and Barrett Hayton and Strome appears to have limboed under it.

Tad Mikowski

Hail to the King Baby
Sponsor
May 31, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I'm wondering if keeping Hayton up for opening night is a message being sent to Strome. "Hey even with all the injuries, you need to earn your spot on this roster, we got a guy that can replace you".

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I'm wondering if keeping Hayton up for opening night is a message being sent to Strome. "Hey even with all the injuries, you need to earn your spot on this roster, we got a guy that can replace you".
So they are saying if you don't earn your spot Strome we will give it the next guy who didn't earn it??? Quite the message???

Reactions: hbk

tuxonpups

Mar 15, 2009
So Galchenyuk and Archibald are on the shelf, Dvorak and Chychrun are coming back, Hayton is in the premium seats, Murphy is on waivers and Lyubushkin is exempt. Leaves the question when are the forwards Dauphin, Ullstrom, and Kempe getting waived, or do Crouse and Strome go down with Garland and Merkley as they're still exempt? My guess...

Panik Stepan Keller
Perlini Dvorak Fischer
Grabner Richardson Cousins
Crouse Strome Hinostroza
Dauphin Hayton

OEL Demers
Chychrun Hjalmarsson
Goligoski Oesterle
Connauton

Mosby

<3 Uncle Gary
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Honestly wouldn't be shocked if Strome is sent down today. Something is just off about this whole thing.

Reactions: hbk

Tad Mikowski

Hail to the King Baby
Sponsor
May 31, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
So they are saying if you don't earn your spot Strome we will give it the next guy who didn't earn it??? Quite the message???

I believe it's closer to saying "Dylan, the gap is way closer than it should be between you. And you've had 3+ years of development." I'm not saying Hayton proved anything but I dont think Chayka is scared to cut bait on Dylan and let Barret plug that center spot till Dvorak is ready to go

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
So Galchenyuk and Archibald are on the shelf, Dvorak and Chychrun are coming back, Hayton is in the premium seats, Murphy is on waivers and Lyubushkin is exempt. Leaves the question when are the forwards Dauphin, Ullstrom, and Kempe getting waived, or do Crouse and Strome go down with Garland and Merkley as they're still exempt? My guess...

Panik Stepan Keller
Perlini Dvorak Fischer
Grabner Richardson Cousins
Crouse Strome Hinostroza
Dauphin Hayton

OEL Demers
Chychrun Hjalmarsson
Goligoski Oesterle
Connauton
I could honestly see them being afraid to waive Dauphin and send Strome down instead.

Reactions: Jakey53

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
I think we have to be fair when evaluating Strome and these three. Most knew Rundblad and Gormley were not NHL calibre early in there career and they did not have the success Strome has had at any level. Duclair has talent, it's what's between the ears that is preventing him from excelling in the NHL. IF Duclair figures it out he could be a good player. According to Chayka, Strome has done everything asked of him and they still value him highly as a player. I think you are the one that always said it's the coach responsibility to put a player in the best position to be successful. RT has not done that with Strome this preseason. When he put Strome with Domi, he produced. Why is that? Most times I would agree with you that the player is responsible for not being successful, and Strome has to take much of the responsibility for not producing, but in this case I believe RT is as much to blame. I had a feeling this was going to happen to Strome, with the way RT talked about him. Strome will never be a 1C, but I truly believe he can be as productive or more so than a player like DVO. I will bet, we will never see it here, unfortunately.

I am just not terribly certain on this one. Look, I get that you have to allow for some growing pains, however, if the player has talent that needs to be developed and they are not ahead of the other players on the depth chart, what else is the coach supposed to do? The locker room will become an even larger issue and our coach will have far more questions to answer b/c he is purposely putting a player of lesser ability with better players in order to accommodate the player being more successful. Eventually, people's backs within the locker room will turn on the coach as that plays out.

Remember that we were not surrounded by talent in prior iterations and when you look at the names on the roster, when have we ever been this talented? Strome is finding himself in a situation where he has talent ahead of him, but unlike Erie, where the difference level between lines in the OHL is wider, now he has to compete against players who have little pieces to their game that have helped them carve out their careers - even if Strome has more or less talent than some. Gaining experience is best, but not to the point where the experience is discouraging. That's why he was successful in his call-up; the 50 game AHL stint gave him some confidence. That was on a top line role, which more or less means that he should be going against what would be considered 4th line/bottom 6 NHL types. Different leagues and mindset, but if he has the ability to produce against similar talent level to a bottom 6er in the NHL, then it should take shape this year.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I’m starting to think Chayka has the social skills of Sheldon from Big Bang theory. He seems to struggle with the human relations side

Reactions: CC96

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Most thought on this board that Runblad and especially Gormley had top pairing potential and that Duke was a top line wing. Over time it faded but Tip was blamed for not "putting them is a position to succeed", or giving them a chance, play them for 1/2 a season, etc...Same with Duke, Tip ruined him too. All these players busted further on other clubs.

Strome has been up and down 4 times with 2 different coaches. He is getting his chances but he has to earn it too. I just don't believe Tocc is not giving Strome a fair chance or opportunities, I actually think the opposite. I think he is getting way more opportunities then he should because he was the 3rd pick in the draft and we are desperate for C's. If the Coyotes give up on strome and cut bait for a second round pick or a journeymen, it tells me Strome is a bust and he won't do better with another NHL team, he will likely be out of the NHL.

I hope he makes the club this year and gets 40+ points, becomes our 2C, and leads our PP. Chances of that are getting slim but it is still possible, there is not doubt Strome has the talent and vision to do it.

Reactions: Lilhoody

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I totally agree, but I’m curious what brought this comment on?
The way he describes Hayton. I’ve been holding this comment back for a bit. I actually really like Chayka’s moves but when he tries to explain them he seems to struggle.

Mosby

<3 Uncle Gary
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Time to start compiling a list of possible Strome trade scenarios?

Strome+ for Puljujarvi (crazy how just a few months ago the plus was on the other side)
Strome++ for Duchene (but do we have the dollars?)
Strome for Sprong
Strome for Alex Nylander
Strome for Honka
Strome for Ho-Sang (doubt we're interested in Ho-Sang, but who knows)
Strome for Bennett
Strome for Virtanen (yuck)
Strome for a Carolina D
Strome for Ducks RFA Nick Ritchie
Strome for Zacha
Strome for Logan Brown
Strome(+?) for Brett Howden
Strome for Morgan Frost

Just some ideas.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Time to start compiling a list of possible Strome trade scenarios?

Strome+ for Puljujarvi (crazy how just a few months ago the plus was on the other side)
Strome++ for Duchene (but do we have the dollars?)
Strome for Sprong
Strome for Alex Nylander
Strome for Honka
Strome for Ho-Sang (doubt we're interested in Ho-Sang, but who knows)
Strome for Bennett
Strome for Virtanen (yuck)
Strome for a Carolina D
Strome for Ducks RFA Nick Ritchie
Strome for Zacha
Strome for Logan Brown
Strome(+?) for Brett Howden
Strome for Morgan Frost

Just some ideas.

Dylan Strome for Filip Zadina monkaS

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
A package involving Strome for Justin Faulk would be interesting. People seem to think his game has fallen off recently but I think in this system with the forwards and speed we have Faulk could really do well. And it’s no secret that CAR wants C’s especially with Rask out indefinitely, so maybe they’d take a chance.

OEL-Demers
Hjalmarsson-Faulk
Chychrun-Goligoski

Might have to package KConn or Oesterle in the deal to avoid too much of a logjam. But seriously, how about a first PP unit of

Keller-Stepan-Galchenyuk
OEL-Faulk

Reactions: Lilhoody
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->