Movies: Trailer Release Dates - Is the gap shrinking?

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
In the past - 10 years ago, I remember trailers being released well in advance of the movie. Sometimes a year in advance. "Coming next summer" was not uncommon to see.

Now, the studios seem to be releasing the trailers closer and closer to the release date of the film.

Has anyone else noticed this? Is there a reason for the change?

lostinwarsaw

A Slovak living in Belgium
Feb 26, 2019
Warsaw, Poland
In the past - 10 years ago, I remember trailers being released well in advance of the movie. Sometimes a year in advance. "Coming next summer" was not uncommon to see.

Now, the studios seem to be releasing the trailers closer and closer to the release date of the film.

Has anyone else noticed this? Is there a reason for the change?
I think the phenomenon of trailers has changed rapidly in the last 5-10 years. Now they are this big event where studios will release a teaser for the trailer they are releasing tomorrow. Plus this whole notion of “reacting to ___ trailer” have really taken off.
Does anyone else remember having as many movies being released in the same year with tight security/not a lot of info given about film? I remember as a kid you’d maybe have 1-2 movies a year that were these mysterious plots that no one knew about. But now that superhero movies have really emerged it seems like there are 5-6 movies a year that are really secretive. Maybe that’s another reason why for later trailers, don’t wanna give much away too soon?

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I think both of you are right. More competition. Shorter attention spans. People analyzing every second of the trailer. Etc...

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
There is much much more movies, series, online series and even games coming out as it was 10 years ago. A trailer that will come out 1 year before the movie, will be very fast forgotten.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
As others have said, social media and other trends are bound to have big impacts on how films are marketed. But going back to the original post, I'm trying to determine what period you're referencing when full movie trailers would come out that far in advance, and if you have any examples.

Today, it seems like there's a very multi faceted promotional strategy for the big blockbusters. There's usually early still photos released from set well before the release (like the Bad Boys 3 shots released this week for a 2020 release date. You also have teaser trailers that are put out a good 8 or 9 months in advance sometimes. I recall Toy Story 4 having a teaser trailer this past fall for example.

Every movie is going to tailor their marketing strategy. A film like Avengers: Endgame has a very different objective than an original concept film.

kingsholygrail

Fastest Series Loss 0-1
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Nothing will beat the viral marketing experiences of JJ Abrams movies, namely Cloverfield. The things they presented as the backdrop in the campaign ended up being more interesting than the actual movies.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
As others have said, social media and other trends are bound to have big impacts on how films are marketed. But going back to the original post, I'm trying to determine what period you're referencing when full movie trailers would come out that far in advance, and if you have any examples.

Today, it seems like there's a very multi faceted promotional strategy for the big blockbusters. There's usually early still photos released from set well before the release (like the Bad Boys 3 shots released this week for a 2020 release date. You also have teaser trailers that are put out a good 8 or 9 months in advance sometimes. I recall Toy Story 4 having a teaser trailer this past fall for example.

Every movie is going to tailor their marketing strategy. A film like Avengers: Endgame has a very different objective than an original concept film.
Can't think of an example but I remember trailers coming out well in advance of movies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad