Salary Cap: Trading Marner a possibility?

Status
Not open for further replies.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
4 1sts and Panarin

vs.

Marner

You cant fall in love with your players if a better return is out there.
To pull that off, you need a massive offer sheet to Marner right at 12:01 on July 1st, and already have Panarin lined up. Panarin isn't waiting a week for Marner to be sorted out.

ECanuck

Jan 7, 2010
Hamilton
giphy.gif

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
To pull that off, you need a massive offer sheet to Marner right at 12:01 on July 1st, and already have Panarin lined up. Panarin isn't waiting a week for Marner to be sorted out.
Or 4 1st and Duchense
For Marner

Or 4 1st and Karlsson
For Marner

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Again, all those guys will sign on July 1st by 12:01. We have significant timing issues to expect this to be realistic.
I say we take the easier route and clone Gordie Howe and find an accelerating agent to grow him into an adult before next year starts.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Stone is fairly comparable to Marner in terms of impact.

If anything the stone contract is a bargaining chip in Dubas's court.

Marner won't get over 10
lol Marner is better and he is not having a career year like Stone is. Stone skating is horrible and Marners Elite. They are not comparable in any way. The contact was not favourable for Dubas at all. In fact is makes signing Marner at less then 10.5 for max 6 years term impossible.

Marner is a franchise player Stone is not.

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
lol Marner is better and he is not having a career year like Stone is. Stone skating is horrible and Marners Elite. They are not comparable in any way. The contact was not favourable for Dubas at all. In fact is makes signing Marner at less then 10.5 for max 6 years term impossible.

Yeah but isnt Bracco a close replacement? :teach:

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
If our Leafs trade Marner, well, this site better be migrated to a more powerful and stable server, cause this place will become a shit storm for sure!

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Bracco is not as far away as you think. His leg strength is still not up to par. And it may never be it is entirely on him and he knows it. But his vision and passing and seeing the ice is at Marner's level now.

We will see how bad Bracco wants it? It is always hard to tell with rich kids if they will have the burning desire to do it or not. That is the real question mark?

I have seen Bracco take it to Marner bad as kids. Like a real ass womping. But Marner grew and got stronger and Bracco did not grow and did not get the leg strength.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
mmmnnn no.

Marner is my fav so that'sa little selfish I guess but the cap is going up, who knows what the new CBA will bring in terms of cap constraints or growth but things always trend to go higher. You try to keep both Marner and Matthews, I trade Kadri or Nylander before I trade Marner to keep other guys.

Reactions: ToneDog

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
Bracco is not as far away as you think. His leg strength is still not up to par. And it may never be it is entirely on him and he knows it. But his vision and passing and seeing the ice is at Marner's level now.

We will see how bad Bracco wants it? It is always hard to tell with rich kids if they will have the burning desire to do it or not. That is the real question mark?

I have seen Bracco take it to Marner bad as kids. Like a real ass womping. But Marner grew and got stronger and Bracco did not grow and did not get the leg strength.
I knew a guy who was a better player than Ray Bourque in junior. He became a cab driver.

Reactions: ToneDog

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
Worst case scenario is we bridge Marner, which I actually prefer because then you can lock him up after that to 8 years when he's 25.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I knew a guy who was a better player than Ray Bourque in junior. He became a cab driver.
I totally get where you are coming from. That's why I said does he have it in him or not? No one knows. But I would not give up on him yet. He has the god given ability. I saw him beat Marner's Toronto Pro hockey team when Bracco was with Long Island Gulls 8-2. Bracco 6 goals. Marner 1 goal. And both teams had a few NHLers on each team (like about 5 on each team) but those 2 were the best and there was no disputing it.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010

Your looking at the wrong Stone I think

Stone has a higher ppg than marner in recent years.
This isn't a career year for Stone
You've obviously never seen Stone skate.
Stone is a top 10-12 winger in the league and is definitely a marner comparable.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007

Stone is a top 10-12 winger in the league and is definitely a marner comparable.
And, Dubas didn't even attempt to upgrade by trading Marner to Ottawa for Stone? :facepalm:

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018

Stone has been hurt pretty well every year

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Again, all those guys will sign on July 1st by 12:01. We have significant timing issues to expect this to be realistic.

It was all hypothetical. Pretty sure if Dubas knows Marner won’t sign, he will be dealt to a team this is willing to sign him to his desire amount on draft day for a package that is similar to 4 1st

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->