Salary Cap: Trading Marner a possibility?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I don't think it's a very good idea to trade the first guy since Sundin to probably hit 90 points so we have cap space.

member 157595

Off the top of my head, I can't think of a realistic trade offer I'd be happy with. None of the guys we'd really want in return would be made available.

However, if someone offersheets Marner for 4 1st-round pick level compensation, the Leafs would definitely have to think about whether they could afford to match an offer of that magnitude.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I disagree.

Dubas goes to Marner camp after playoffs and says this is our number. We aren't budging from it. Take it or leave it. Or hes being shopped.

Simple.

Now Marner has a choice, play at home with a more then reasonable cap number. Or fight for what he wants and possibly play his career in places like Arizona. His choice.

Him making 2 million a season more then Nylander is more then enough. 9-9.5 million is the limit. Or else trade his ass.

And Dubas grew a spine when? No way that he gives any ultimatums to Marner. He doesn't work that way. I don't know how he will get it done but Marner will be signed and it won't be that way. For no other reason than Mitch looks at the Nylander deal and calls his bluff. He got punked and that won't go away any time soon. He would actually have to trade someone for not getting with the program for a line in the sand to mean anything.

Reactions: OmniCube

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
This is the second post where Tavares is excluded. How come???? Is he not part of the core moving forward?

So Kapanen is offer sheeted for 4.5 million a season, do we match? Cause all that we get back if we don't is a 2nd!!!!

Or Johnsson is offer sheeted for 3.5 million a season, do we match? Cause all we get back is a 3rd!!!!

Losing those players for that amount is worth it to you all? Just because we have to overpay to keep Marner?

Do we really have players in our system that can step in for Johnsson and Kapanen next season? I don't think so.

Edit: disregard below. Matching teams cannot trade a player for one year after matching an offer sheet.

You're forgetting the option of matching then working out trades.

Kapanen at 4.5 would be on a good term. Same with Johnsson at 3.5. you can trade those for a lot more than a 2nd and 3rd round pick

Last edited:

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
No.

There is a fairly long list of players on this team you trade first before you even think of it (like 90% of the team).

If you get desperate you pair Zaitsev with a 2nd or Bracco and flip him to another team to free up cap

Reactions: nuck

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
You're forgetting the option of matching then working out trades.

Kapanen at 4.5 would be on a good term. Same with Johnsson at 3.5. you can trade those for a lot more than a 2nd and 3rd round pick

I thought once you match you cannot trade for one fiscal regular season? Or am I wrong in that.

I would hope that the Leafs will be able to sign both Kapanen and Johnsson for less then those amounts.

I was thinking Kapanen on a bridge deal for 3 million a season, and Johnsson on same bridge for about 2.5 million per. We are talking a contract slightly larger then what Brown signed for after his 20 goal campaign.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
This is the second post where Tavares is excluded. How come???? Is he not part of the core moving forward?

So Kapanen is offer sheeted for 4.5 million a season, do we match? Cause all that we get back if we don't is a 2nd!!!!

Or Johnsson is offer sheeted for 3.5 million a season, do we match? Cause all we get back is a 3rd!!!!

Losing those players for that amount is worth it to you all? Just because we have to overpay to keep Marner?

Do we really have players in our system that can step in for Johnsson and Kapanen next season? I don't think so.
OK but realize Dubas and the Leafs will know if they can get Kapanen and Johnsson re-signed or not probably by the draft. If they cant, they will be traded before July 1.

There will be no worrying about Kapanen or Johnsson being offer sheeted. They'll either have contracts by then or been traded already.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I can't believe there are so many posts in a thread about trading our 2nd/3rd best player because of money. Marner Kane and Marchand are in the 2-4 range in NHL wingers. Kuch clearly is the best. Chances of getting another guy at this level with 4 1st rounders is very very low. Yes our depth would get better but you win in NHL with top end talent. Right now we have 3 legit top end NHL talent pieces.

And why? Because of money which we have significantly more of than any other NHL team. We could afford to have 10+ guys at this level if not for the stupid CAP. So we are forced to mediocrity because of the NHL. We can and we will trump any other team who tries to offer sheet us. It is really simple. And everyone else knows it. And we will take no prisoners against the team which tries to ace us. We can easily bid up any player on any team we want to. Bottom line no one will try to take on the money beast. You always lose when you try to take on someone who has significantly more money than you will ever have even if you are in the right.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
No.

There is a fairly long list of players on this team you trade first before you even think of it (like 90% of the team).

If you get desperate you pair Zaitsev with a 2nd or Bracco and flip him to another team to free up cap

Well if rumors are right. Larsson out of Edmonton was in discussions and he makes 4.1 million per season. If we can flip Zaitsev and Brown to Edmonton for Larrson there is cap savings there and gives the Leafs a better #4 dman at a cheaper cost.

Those savings can be put to Johnsson's contract I guess. But still leaves you little for Kapanen along with Marner.

I just would hate losing either of Johnsson or Kapanen.

I hope there is a way to keep AM, JT, WN, MM, NZ, KK, and AJ together on the forward units.

Just not sure that is possible.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I can't believe there are so many posts in a thread about trading our 2nd/3rd best player because of money. Marner Kane and Marchand are in the 2-4 range in NHL wingers. Kuch clearly is the best. Chances of getting another guy at this level with 4 1st rounders is very very low. Yes our depth would get better but you win in NHL with top end talent. Right now we have 3 legit top end NHL talent pieces.

And why? Because of money which we have significantly more of than any other NHL team. We could afford to have 10+ guys at this level if not for the stupid CAP. So we are forced to mediocrity because of the NHL. We can and we will trump any other team who tries to offer sheet us. It is really simple. And everyone else knows it. And we will take no prisoners against the team which tries to ace us. We can easily bid up any player on any team we want to. Bottom line no one will try to take on the money beast. You always lose when you try to take on someone who has significantly more money than you will ever have even if you are in the right.

I hope your right.

I don't want to get rid of Marner, I also don't want to get rid of Nylander or Kapanen or Johnsson. To me Matthews and Tavares are untouchables.

But I do not see a way to keep all of them, while also keeping Kadri, Reilly and Andersen on the roster. Something has got to give and I don't think you will get enough back trading Johnsson or Kapanen that will help with cap or lineup.

Hence the reason I think trading Marner may be the best viable option while keeping the majority of your lineup together and being able to plug holes elsewhere with the savings and what you acquire.

Ignatius Reilly

Nov 25, 2010
I hope your right.

I don't want to get rid of Marner, I also don't want to get rid of Nylander or Kapanen or Johnsson. To me Matthews and Tavares are untouchables.

But I do not see a way to keep all of them, while also keeping Kadri, Reilly and Andersen on the roster. Something has got to give and I don't think you will get enough back trading Johnsson or Kapanen that will help with cap or lineup.

Hence the reason I think trading Marner may be the best viable option while keeping the majority of your lineup together and being able to plug holes elsewhere with the savings and what you acquire.

The more I watch him, the more I think Marner is the most untouchable of the group.

I love all the others, but Marner is a real special player.

AM got himself back near the top of the list with his play against Montreal the other night. Otherwise, he's been a bit of a super-talented guy who's just not making the most of it for too many games. If he's going to heat up heading into the playoffs.... I'm good with that.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I hope your right.

We can't trade Marner, Matty or JT. It is not going to happen. As they go so does team. I can't wait to see those 3 match up against the Boston big line. I have a decent source who tells me this is Babs backup plan in game 2 if team can't get it done in game 1.
I don't think Rielly or Andersen are going anywhere either.
After that unfortunately anything is possible in a CAP world.
I am a big supporter of Willy because he can help with possession and create on his own. Imagine willy playing centre with Kappy and Kadri against Boston on the 2nd line (I know Babs won't do this but we can imagine).
So that leaves Kadri AJ and Kappy who will likely have to take lower deals than they are worth or likely they will have to be traded. Sucks but what can you do. The big boys eat first. That's life. I think Kappy will stay for 2-3 years as he is best friends with Willy and that means something. I can see both AJ and Kadri moving although I would rather keep both.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
The more I watch him, the more I think Marner is the most untouchable of the group.

I love all the others, but Marner is a real special player.

AM got himself back near the top of the list with his play against Montreal the other night. Otherwise, he's been a bit of a super-talented guy who's just not making the most of it for too many games. If he's going to heat up heading into the playoffs.... I'm good with that.

I agree some nights Matthews is invisible. But that Montreal game really showed what this kid can be. It wasn't his skill play that impressed me in that game cause we all know its there. That one shift where he bodied someone off the puck and then went into the corner and made Weber look like a ragdoll. That's what impressed me and I know its in there.

This kid puts on 10-15 pounds of muscle this off season. He becomes a superstar. I know he already is one, but if he can become more physical Matthews can become 2nd best in the game behind McDavid. Who knows even win a scoring title.

Then all this talk about Marner being the best on this team will go away. Cause Matthews will rightfully take his throne as expected.

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
4 1sts and Panarin

vs.

Marner

You cant fall in love with your players if a better return is out there.

1. That is assuming Panarin is available to sign the day Marner signs an offer sheet.

2. That is assuming you can begin and end negotiations with Panarin within the one week you have to decide on matching offer sheet.

3. That is assuming Panarin wants to play for the Leafs given equal money

4. That is assuming Panarin isn't also asking for too much money or term.

5. That is assuming that the Leafs would be the highest bidder for Panarin.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
1. That is assuming Panarin is available to sign the day Marner signs an offer sheet.

2. That is assuming you can begin and end negotiations with Panarin within the one week you have to decide on matching offer sheet.

3. That is assuming Panarin wants to play for the Leafs given equal money

4. That is assuming Panarin isn't also asking for too much money or term.

5. That is assuming that the Leafs would be the highest bidder for Panarin.
Cool agreed. What's your point?

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
It would be nearly impossible to do a panarin+4 firsts for Marner as people keep suggesting.

They make it sound like its easy to get that done.

To be honest I'd rather have Point over Marner.
When did he become available?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad