Proposal: Trading Johnny Hockey

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Let me preface this by saying this is all hypothetical and just for fun since it’s the summer. So if you can’t get your head around the thought of Johnny being dealt, this might not be the thread to contribute in.

In the event that Johnny were to indicate that his heart is out East to be with his family and he’s unlikely to re-sign here, what’s the game plan by Treliving and Co.?

- Gaudreau makes 6.75 million per for the next 4 seasons (including this one).

- Do you trade him in season 1, 2, 3, 4?

- Does the decision depend on team success or is timing the key factor with netting the biggest return?

- Where is he going and what is the parameters for a return?

- Lastly, is Johnny so good and you ride the merry-go-round until the very end?

For my thoughts, I think the earliest you entertain dealing him is next offseason. I think Philly, Boston, New Jersey, NYR, Buffalo are all likely destinations. I think ideally you’re looking at getting a young up and comer that has immense upside. So either a top 3 draft pick or a Nolan Patrick/Hischier type of player.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
In your awful nightmare scenario of infinite suffering, trade him in the offseason between year 3-4 unless someone comes along with an incredibly good offer for him in the meantime. I agree with your destinations, and return would likely be centered on a younger player with a shorter track record but top line/pairing potential, or perhaps an equivalent positional swap if the Flames need a C/RW/D at that time and the recipient team happens to have one available.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
There is literally no indication Johnny wants to leave.

Trading him is a terrible idea. We should be trying to trade for another star, not trade by far our best player.

The league is at a point where offense is more important than ever. And we had a top 5 offensive player. You don’t trade that. Not unless you get an absolute star in return ie Jack Hughes

The guy loves Calgary. We just need to win and he will stay.

Reactions: Sk8M8

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Let me preface this by saying this is all hypothetical and just for fun

Let me preface this by saying you have an odd idea of what constitutes fun.

Unless Johnny makes it clear he has no interest in returning once he hits UFA I'd just keep him until the contract runs out. He's worth every penny.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015

Trading him is a terrible idea. We should be trying to trade for another star, not trade by far our best player.

The league is at a point where offense is more important than ever. And we had a top 5 offensive player. You don’t trade that. Not unless you get an absolute star in return ie Jack Hughes

Somone correct me if I’m wrong, but this whole situation is based on a perfect example of response bias, is it not? Gaudreau was asked a question with only one logical answer at the time.

If true though, I do think winning can change a lot of things. That said, I don’t think it’s the end of the world if we have to deal him, I think a suitable deal that replaces him fairly well wouldn’t be hard to come by.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

Lol, again this is a hypothetical situation that he’s indicated he will want to return out East. ;)

Reactions: Savoie16

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I think a lot depends on next year. If it is a struggle and the team is in the bottom half of play-offs teams (or heaven forbid out) and goes out easily in the 1st round then with that information you trade him in next off-season. If the team is relatively successful but you still know this and are looking to deal him I think you move him with 2 years left to try and maximize value in the return and value in him being on the team. Moving him in the last year of his deal likely gets you a poor offer back because teams would know they have a shot to sign him in a year.

I think we missed the boat on the best return because last summer with Philly I really think we could have got two of Patrick and Provorov/Koscelny plus maybe something else. But with Giroux going to elite or close to it status and Provorov and Koscelny having big years I think the desire to overpay for Gaudreau is less and the chances of getting that package is low. I like Patrick but not sure I am willing to chance him for Gaudreau as the main deal. I do think Philly makes the most sense from our end in terms of possible returns.

I think now the team most likely to overpay would be the Rangers but I don't see the assets from them to get it done. I don't think any of Chytil, Anderson or Kravtsov are good enough to be the main pieces and I don't see much else that they have that would be interesting.

I don't really like the idea of a Hischer deal, would consider Hall in the last year of the deal since we have a better shot of re-signing him but that is a like for like deal so the team would have to be looking pretty good to want to keep the roster basically at the same level versus getting younger.

Boston has some interesting pieces but not sure the fit is there. Maybe something around Krecji (too old) and DeBrusk? That might be too much from Bostons end as it doesn't leave a lot for Gaudreau to play with assuming they keep the top line together so maybe something else paired with Debrusk but then I think we are getting the raw end of the deal.

Buffalo I am not sure it is a fit for him and their pieces that fit for us are likely too good to move (Eichel and Dahlin) and the guys they would propose (Nylander, Reinhart) are not good enough.

I think with Tkachuk and Monahan the hit of trading Gaudreau among the fanbase may not be as bad as some would think, I am not saying it would be cheered but I don't think you are seeing massive drop in ticket sales or fans frothing at the mouth. That said that is based on a decent return coming back. As much grief as you have got already I do think it is a very interesting idea because of the value we could get back and possibility that he may want to head back. If this group does little over the next 3-4 years I do think moving him might be the best way to avoid a prolonged state of mediocre to slightly below mediocre results that teams can get into before the big crash.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Somone correct me if I’m wrong, but this whole situation is based on a perfect example of response bias, is it not? Gaudreau was asked a question with only one logical answer at the time.

I think the whole situation is based on Hoxville trying to stir the pot and have a little fun in the summer.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
If Johnny asks for a trade, it is more likely that the team sucks. In that case you go for a rebuild.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Let me preface this by saying this is all hypothetical and just for fun since it’s the summer. So if you can’t get your head around the thought of Johnny being dealt, this might not be the thread to contribute in.

In the event that Johnny were to indicate that his heart is out East to be with his family and he’s unlikely to re-sign here, what’s the game plan by Treliving and Co.?

- Gaudreau makes 6.75 million per for the next 4 seasons (including this one).

- Do you trade him in season 1, 2, 3, 4?

- Does the decision depend on team success or is timing the key factor with netting the biggest return?

- Where is he going and what is the parameters for a return?

- Lastly, is Johnny so good and you ride the merry-go-round until the very end?

For my thoughts, I think the earliest you entertain dealing him is next offseason. I think Philly, Boston, New Jersey, NYR, Buffalo are all likely destinations. I think ideally you’re looking at getting a young up and comer that has immense upside. So either a top 3 draft pick or a Nolan Patrick/Hischier type of player.

I legit hope New York Islanders play well and eventually we deal Johnny for a Wahlstrom package.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I mean, are we going to do this for all of our star players?

What if Tkachuk wants to play in St. Louis where he hung out as a kid?

What if Monahan wants to head back to Ottawa where he had success in juniors?

What if Hanifin wants to stay in the USA and is kind of choked he got traded here?

What if Backlund wants to play somewhere where there are more Swedes?

Seems like Armchair GM thread stuff, to me, because it's a bit of a weak premise.

Johnny is one of those players who is highly-rated and highly-valued around the league. Whether or not Gaudreau ever wants it, trading him might be a good idea at some point, depending on the direction of the team. But you address that when the team needs a shake-up, not now. We don't even know what this core can do yet.

7th round pick

Jan 9, 2016
I think we missed the boat on the best return because last summer with Philly I really think we could have got two of Patrick and Provorov/Koscelny plus maybe something else. But with Giroux going to elite or close to it status and Provorov and Koscelny having big years I think the desire to overpay for Gaudreau is less and the chances of getting that package is low. I like Patrick but not sure I am willing to chance him for Gaudreau as the main deal. I do think Philly makes the most sense from our end in terms of possible returns.

After Provorovs D+1 Philly fans talked about him like he was a god with his floor being a better then prime Drew Doughty. If were unable to get past the 2nd round in by the summer before final year or if he seems unwillimg to re-up we dont risk having him "Tavares " us.

7th round pick

Jan 9, 2016
For my thoughts, I think the earliest you entertain dealing him is next offseason. I think Philly, Boston, New Jersey, NYR, Buffalo

If we finish in the bottom 5 this year or with no extension before trade deadline in his final year We keep him except for an overpay or unhappy star player wanting out from their situation( ie. Seguin from Boston). Not alot of 1:1 with those teams Mentioned if we put johnny on the block were probably looking at a pospects / 4 quarter for a dollar kinda package..

Philly : N patrick+ T Sanheim

Boston : A bjork+ B carlo+ 1st

NJ: P zacha + C schneider + M McLeod+1nd 2019 (top 5 protected) / Ty smith 2nd 2019

NYR: M zibanijad+ O Lindbom
+ S Day/ L Hajek+ Spooner /Namestnikov

Cal:Johnny + Mony
BUF:J Eichel +K Okposo

Preferably a jones /johanson type deal if he does get delt. I Cant even think about one that would work for both sides ?
EDIT: Maybe even Nashville for Ryjo ?? If Segin is targeted and makes it to Free agency,

Last edited:

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
If we finish in the bottom 5 this year or with no extension before trade deadline in his final year We keep him except for an overpay or unhappy star player wanting out from their situation( ie. Seguin from Boston). Not alot of 1:1 with those teams Mentioned if we put johnny on the block were probably looking at a pospects / 4 quarter for a dollar kinda package..

Philly : N patrick+ T Sanheim

Boston : A bjork+ B carlo+ 1st

NJ: P zacha + C schneider + M McLeod+1nd 2019 (top 5 protected) / Ty smith 2nd 2019

NYR: M zibanijad+ O Lindbom
+ S Day/ L Hajek+ Spooner /Namestnikov

Cal:Johnny + Mony
BUF:J Eichel +K Okposo

Preferably a jones /johanson type deal if he does get delt. I Cant even think about one that would work for both sides ?
EDIT: Maybe even Nashville for Ryjo ?? If Segin is targeted and makes it to Free agency,

All of these are bad, I want something along the lines of Wahlstrom and Pulock.

7th round pick

Jan 9, 2016
All of these are bad, I want something along the lines of Wahlstrom and Pulock.

Agreeed about those being bad, but realistically if were only looking to trade him only to those couple eastern teams, thats along the lines of what we would see comming back.
See Joe thorton traded from boston to SJ - T segin from boston to dallas - I kovalchuk from Atlanta - Nj.
And, really? Thats literally worse then all of mine, I get not being a homer about it and wanting mcdavid or Oel +D strome +50% ownership of the cyotes, but you went and Thought about of all the players on all the teams, and the trade that you would WANT, is whalstrom and pulock? I was expecting like Bokk & tarasanko or something thats, ya know, not hot garbage and a magic bean.

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Agreeed about those being bad, but realistically if were only looking to trade him only to those couple eastern teams, thats along the lines of what we would see comming back.
See Joe thorton traded from boston to SJ - T segin from boston to dallas - I kovalchuk from Atlanta - Nj.
And, really? Thats literally worse then all of mine, I get not being a homer about it and wanting mcdavid or Oel +D strome +50% ownership of the cyotes, but you went and Thought about of all the players on all the teams, and the trade that you would WANT, is whalstrom and pulock? I was expecting like Bokk & tarasanko or something thats, ya know, not hot garbage and a magic bean.

Pulock is actually a very promising up coming Dman. Wahlstrom's shot is basically only below Laine out of all draft year prospects.

7th round pick

Jan 9, 2016
Pulock is actually a very promising up coming Dman. Wahlstrom's shot is basically only below Laine out of all draft year prospects.
We have 3 very promising D prospects in the organizaton right now, and hes probably in the same teir as Rasmus and Oli. Nothing we desperatly need. I remeber reading about Troy Brouwers wicked shot too.. i had WHALSTROM 6th overall in my mock and extensivly cursed at Brad T when he was avalible at 12, But i would riot if we made that deal. If were doing a 2 for 1 i would prefer at keast one the two comming back be able to contribute now. Either go full rebuild or try to contend. Something like johnny+ bennet to Fla for trotchek+ huberdau or johnny + for barkov, hopefully hoffmans lady screws with barkovs girl and he demands a trade..

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
giphy.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->