Proposal: Trading Freddie for a 1A/1B Goalie

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
If there's a deal to be made, its probably with Arizona for one of their goalies. Is Andersen's contract cash-poor?

edit: Carolina could work too with their two headed goalie system

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
If there's a deal to be made, its probably with Arizona for one of their goalies. Is Andersen's contract cash-poor?

edit: Carolina could work too with their two headed goalie system

Not at the prices leafs fans expect. He wasn’t much better than either of our guys last year. If we had a goalie it’s for someone who can push us over the hump in the playoffs. That isn’t Andersen based off his track record.

Reactions: Chrispy

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
If I were the leafs I would ship Anderson and a 2022 second to Arizona for kuemper and a 2021 4 th. If things don’t work out with kuemper you could fetch a return of a second in 2022 . Arizona can save much needed cash and the leafs get a small cap cut . Because kuemper has the extra year , if a more adequate option comes up you can get your initial second back . I don’t know who they ( leaf fans) would consider to be a better option that kuemper .

Reactions: saffronleaf

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
If I were the leafs I would ship Anderson and a 2022 second to Arizona for kuemper and a 2021 4 th. If things don’t work out with kuemper you could fetch a return of a second in 2022 . Arizona can save much needed cash and the leafs get a small cap cut . Because kuemper has the extra year , if a more adequate option comes up you can get your initial second back . I don’t know who they ( leaf fans) would consider to be a better option that kuemper .
You should check out Arizona’s current cap situation, it’s the highest in the league so a goalie with a even bigger cap hit doesn’t exactly help.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
how is freddie a backup goalie...?
If Freddie is so good as a number 1 goalie than why do you want him traded?
The return you suggested are goalies that are younger, cheaper, and have had better numbers last season. No reason to trade Saros and Freddie isn't better than what Colorado already has.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Anderson has been a top goalie on one of the worst defensive teams for a few years now. He also is on a short deal with money owned less than his cap hit. You're out to lunch if you think the Leafs would have to throw in a "high draft pick" to move him.
The question is though if he's so good why do Leafs fans want to move him?

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Freddie for Mikko Koskinen. Leafs save $500K and get a guy signed to two years rather than one.

awesome. trade the best tender the leafs have had in 20+ years for a signficant downgrade to save a whopping 500,000!

lol. leafs would need to have a deal in place for another free agent dman, and edmonton would have to eat 50% for this to even remotely make sense

Reactions: Getz2noone

Halla

Jan 28, 2016

some leafs fans do

now that pietrangelo is off the market most dont wanna move him for cap space anymore

these proposals are garbage. the leafs get significantly worse why?

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Because leaf fans are freaking out that they wont be able to resign him at a reasonable aav because hes been their workhorse for the last few years and will probably get paid with dubas at the helm... which means losing him for nothing after this huge UFA goalie market offseason

that is fine. Goalies are available every year and especially next year when there is the expansion draft

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014
He's going to be a UFA next year and there were rumours that he might potentially be on the market. so as this is a forum to discuss trades, rumours and speculation, leafs fans are talking about what that trade might look like. Why is it that every time leafs fans talk about a player in trade it has to mean he's a bad player?

mattyboy

What Up With That?
Jun 26, 2013
Even though Freddie has a ~2.78 gaa in the 4 seasons since joining the leafs; he isn’t the issue. He’s a great goalie with zero support.
Brodie and Bogosian aren’t going to change anything until leafs as a team start to play proper team defence.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Not all Leafs fans do. I certainly don't think it is a majority opinion.

However, when your team hasn't been able to make it past the 1st round in a number of years, sometimes you have to switch up things, and goalies are one of the easiest parts to switch.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Even though Freddie has a ~2.78 gaa in the 4 seasons since joining the leafs; he isn’t the issue. He’s a great goalie with zero support.
Brodie and Bogosian aren’t going to change anything until leafs as a team start to play proper team defence.
I have to wonder what the issue is in elimination game 3rd periods. I like Freddy he's great but I dunno if I can just blame the D on the consistent elimination game 3rd period duffs. because he usually lets in a soft goal or 2 when it really matters.
I'm still a big Freddy fan but have to wonder if he's the right guy.
In no rush to get back into the goalie hunting game. those years were terrible. Raycroft, Toskala, Reimer, Bernier.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
thoughts

don't interpret the dell signing as a sign you could move another keeper

saros > freddy. nashville wouldn't entertain. saros is younger and better.

grubauer = freddy. the proposed deal is around francouz, but would result in colorado having two solid, but not great starting goalies. too much spent on guys you'd probably upgrade if you could.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
thoughts

don't interpret the dell signing as a sign you could move another keeper

saros > freddy. nashville wouldn't entertain. saros is younger and better.

grubauer = freddy. the proposed deal is around francouz, but would result in colorado having two solid, but not great starting goalies. too much spent on guys you'd probably upgrade if you could.

Ya... Definitely not the case to the bolded.

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
how is freddie a backup goalie...?

Well, he's not playing over Grubauer. And I doubt the Avalanche is in the business of trading Calvert just yet. Dude is probably the most underrated part of the team from an outsiders POV.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
You should check out Arizona’s current cap situation, it’s the highest in the league so a goalie with a even bigger cap hit doesn’t exactly help.
I’m sure once they unload a few of their vets they’ll be able to fit it in . Saving actually cash dollars would be quite the incentive I would think

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
That is a very easy question to answer, and it is obvious. Some Leaf fans want to trade him because they are concerned that with the Leafs cap situation, they will not be able to re-sign him, and they don't want to lose him for nothing next year.

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017

This is probably best case scenario for the Leafs. Kuemper is rock solid, saves them a bit on cap and is signed through 2022. Give up a difference in pick for the benefits of minor cap savings and cost certainty in goal for an additional year.

That said, while I think Arizona might be interested, I don't really know. I know they would probably want to recoup some picks, but who knows if upgrading to a 2nd is worth swapping Andersen and Kuemper to them.

Last edited:

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
If Freddie has another down year I can't imagine him commanding a lot on the free agent market. He would be worth more to Toronto mainly because other teams will wonder if his performance is the bad defensive system or the individual. In that way it makes sense to trade him now if they could find a suitor. But I don't see many teams willing to take on his salary. Maybe pre-Covidd.
And Kuemper has looked much better than Andersen. Why would a team fix what's not broken?

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Toronto isn't going to trade Andersen for an older and an inferior goalie just to save 500k. Leafs had a tough time making the playoffs with Andersen last season. With Koskinen they are guaranteed to miss the playoffs.
So you don't want to trade Anderson for an older goalie but expect other teams to trade their young goalie for a much older Anderson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->