Proposal: Trading Freddie for a 1A/1B Goalie

AustonMarner

Sep 3, 2018
something like

Andersen to NSH for Saros + 2021 4th

or

Andersen to COL for Francouz + Calvert

Why other teams would do this - Upgrade your 1a/1b goalie to a bonafied starter

Why Leafs do this - Cap Savings + Run 3 Goalies (New Goalie, Campbell, Dell, 30-30-20)

thoughts?
Never ever gunna happen..
Andersen is worth waaay more than that.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Anderson has been a top goalie on one of the worst defensive teams for a few years now. He also is on a short deal with money owned less than his cap hit. You're out to lunch if you think the Leafs would have to throw in a "high draft pick" to move him.
I also remember hearing the leafs would have to attach draft picks to get rid of Aj etc so this doesn't surprise me at all

Reactions: qqaz

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019
Because leaf fans are freaking out that they wont be able to resign him at a reasonable aav because hes been their workhorse for the last few years and will probably get paid with dubas at the helm... which means losing him for nothing after this huge UFA goalie market offseason

Well...they probably won't be able to resign Freddy. Doesn't matter though...the team is top heavy and have actually gotten worse this offseason. Much slower and more physical (which is a good thing), but their top-end talent don't really care about winning...kind of a big deal.

Reilly is gonna walk, Matthews is gonna walk and Nylander might too. At least Leafs will have old JT and Marner tho XD XD XD

And it's all because 3 players make $11+ with a fourth at $7 and they're all forwards...three of those four are underachieving btw. . . .

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Well...they probably won't be able to resign Freddy. Doesn't matter though...the team is top heavy and have actually gotten worse this offseason. Much slower and more physical (which is a good thing), but their top-end talent don't really care about winning...kind of a big deal.

Reilly is gonna walk, Matthews is gonna walk and Nylander might too. At least Leafs will have old JT and Marner tho XD XD XD

And it's all because 3 players make $11+ with a fourth at $7 and they're all forwards...three of those four are underachieving btw. . . .

Nothing in your post is accurate, it’s actually pretty amazing.

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019
Nothing in your post is accurate, it’s actually pretty amazing.

So the Leafs scored 10 goals in their 1st round 5-game playoff series (which wasn't even actually the 1st round lol), averaging 2 goals per game. For an offense earning as much as the Leafs do, probably Top 3 in the league, one would think offense wouldn't be the problem.

But it was. And will be.

Because after Matthews (bonafide stud) you have Marner, JT, and Nylander who are all good...in the right circumstances...then you have Kerfoot and literally a bunch of $1m league-minimum players.

Enjoy following your favorite player's golfing career !

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
The opportunity for the Leafs to do something in goal was likely pre-UFA. Now that things have "shaken out"; you have very few teams realistically considering a change in goal; with Schneider, Anderson, and Howard still available on the UFA market for teams looking for a backup/3rd goalie.

It's also important to realize that the only motivation for trading Freddy is to get somebody who they feel can deliver more value (on a performance-to-dollar basis) over the next few years, whereas Andersen is up next year. That's going to be tough when Markstrom (who is probably the best comparable) just signed for $6m x 6 years.

Heck, even if you look around the league for a goalie to replace Freddy... your only theoretical options are:
- Ullmark in Buffalo, but you'd be on pretty shaky ground with him & Campbell as your tandem.
- Mrazek in Carolina, but with a 1-year deal, somewhat defeats the purpose of making a change.
- Merzlikins or Korpisalo in Columbus, but again, fairly shaky ground with one of these guys & Campbell as your tandem
- One of Colorado's goalies, but I think you'd need better than Francouz, nad more years than Grubauer has
- Bishop in Dallas, maybe if the Stars retain a bit so that there's an actual cap savings?
- Kuemper in Arizona?

Even if you find a trade for one of these guys above (and it's not goalie-for-goalie), the market for Andersen would be pretty limited as most teams have already figured out their goaltending. The only teams you could realistically add in there would be Boston if they can move Rask, maybe Vegas if they moved Fleury.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Freddie is overrated, and older.

Geo available, gotta pay, whether or not Freddie comes back, retained or not
serious offer only pls

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Heck, even if you look around the league for a goalie to replace Freddy... your only theoretical options are:
- Ullmark in Buffalo, but you'd be on pretty shaky ground with him & Campbell as your tandem.
- Mrazek in Carolina, but with a 1-year deal, somewhat defeats the purpose of making a change.
- Merzlikins or Korpisalo in Columbus, but again, fairly shaky ground with one of these guys & Campbell as your tandem
- One of Colorado's goalies, but I think you'd need better than Francouz, nad more years than Grubauer has
- Bishop in Dallas, maybe if the Stars retain a bit so that there's an actual cap savings?
- Kuemper in Arizona?

After weeks of Toronto fans trying to shove Andersen on Carolina, we have a breakthrough.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
TMLs are going to have to figure out a way to win with the team they’ve already crafted this offseason. There isn’t another big or key roster move they can make at this stage. Those avenues have closed.

see if what Dubas has already done this off-season is enough to get them into contention.

I wonder if their gutted middle six depth will hurt them or not. I think they’ll score less. But may defend better so who knows. If they suffer an injury to a core or key player, depth may become a legit concern/problem. Looks like a team that has an awesome top gear but may not perform well in those transition speeds. I think they depth lines will lose, not win, them a few games.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
I love how the Leafs always have a scapegoat who isn't the actual problem.
I love how all last year I had to read about how if only they had a better goalie...but now that they want to trade him he’s basically elite.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
something like

or

Why Leafs do this - Cap Savings + Run 3 Goalies (New Goalie, Campbell, Dell, 30-30-20)

thoughts?

Regardless of whether it makes sense to trade Andersen or whether those deals make sense of either team, what stands out most is the ridiculous idea of running a 3-goalie rotation. Why would you think splitting the starts three ways makes any sense?

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
something like

or

thoughts?
Anderson for Hutton and a 2nd. :D

Ishad

Jun 2, 2010
From you we would like the younger/better/cheaper version of our player, we also need you to add an asset for the privilege of trading with us.

Reactions: Soundgarden

the Chad Kilger

Apr 30, 2020
Andy is a very good goalie on a good value deal (paid less than his 5million cap hit). would need to be going to the right situation. a team looking to reach the floor and not wanting term. I wouldnt expect to get much of value for him and would only move him if an upgrade at an equal cap hit was coming to TO

i also think the goalie carousel is pretty well done for the off season.

I'm very comfortable running Freddie in net next season, and extending him mid season if price is right

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Which teams still need a goaltender, particularly a starting goalie?

Just curious as to what the market is now given there's been a lot of signings and movement of goaltenders lately.

Carolina & Buffalo came to mind. Not sure what Colorado is doing - sticking with Grubauer maybe? Maybe fans from other teams will chime in.

Thx.

Last edited:

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Which teams still need a goaltender, particularly a starting goalie?

Just curious as to what the market is now given there's been a lot of signings and movement of goaltenders lately.

Carolina & Buffalo came to mind. Not sure what Colorado is doing - sticking with Grubauer maybe? Maybe fans from other teams will chime in.

Thx.

Need? Realistically nobody.... every team has 2 NHL goalies at this point; but there are a couple of teams who probably aren't thrilled with what they're going into the season with:

- Arizona - If it 'aint bolted down, it's probably for sale, especially if it can return picks. Kuemper would be the more valuable of the two, and they're not competing this year. They may look at Andersen as a guy who can give them most of what Kuemper did in the games he played, while playing more games, for a fraction of the cost.

- Boston - Leaving the bubble left a bad taste with a lot of his teammates. I suspect if they can move/replace Rask, they'll do it.

- Buffalo - Wanting to put themselves back on the map with the Hall signing. Linus Ullmark may not be the guy to do it. Challenge is, I suspect the Leafs would feel the same way about Ullmark, and they're much more in a contention window than the Sabres are.

- Carolina - Been searching for a #1 goalie for a while, the combination of Mrazek-Reimer isn't going to cut it. From a Leafs standpoint, if it was pre-UFA with the mindset of clearing space for Pietrangelo, I can see the merits of downgrading Andersen to Mrazek, but now that the big names have all landed, there's no need to make such a major cap adjustment.

- Colorado - Grubauer presents a similar challenge with a guy like Mrazek -- you're not going to do anything with that $1.7m in space at this point. Colorado is also already short on picks, so presumably they're not into unloading futures.

- Chicago - They've got a bunch of upset stars, and 84 games combined experience in goal. That being said, they don't have a quality goalie to send back to Toronto, nor are they going to part with futures.

- Las Vegas - They will of course say otherwise, but they do not really want Fleury on the team for $12m committed to goalies. Could be a match with Chicago.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
M22uvUi.jpeg

Shocker

Dec 20, 2019
Andersen has close to minimun value and he still isn't a big problem to Leafs, their problems lie in the defence.

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
Or keep Freddy

Yep. There isn't a goalie available that's going to do better with that miserable defense in front of them.

Freddy isn't good enough to carry a team to a Cup, but he's not so bad that he can't help them win one if the team in front of him is slightly less porous than swiss cheese.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad