Status
Not open for further replies.

Randomhero

Sep 13, 2008
vZBzor1.jpg

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Serious answer: I would trade anyone if it made the team better.

Eller is no different. Still, there's no urgency to do anything really.

People will complain and get sensitive at your suggestion but it's no different than trading say Plekanec.

At this moment, we need Eller but it would be Pejorative Slured to think he's untouchable either. That being said, I don't see a return that would justify trading him.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I'm not trying to troll or anything, but I think we should trade Eller. It is something that's very possible regarding the fact that he is an RFA after this season and we have other centers that are more suited for their positions.

I hope that he keeps his consistent performance up in order for us to get a great return at the end of this season. If he thinks he is such a great center to go around accusing other teams (*Cough* Oils) of being a junior team, maybe he should be able to back it up and become a point-per-game player don't ya think?

Well.. he did apologize according to this article http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl...haracterizing-oilers-as-junior-team-1.2187522

But what he said isn't the whole point. Galchenyuk will likely center our top line starting next season with Plek centering our 2nd... We won't get anything for DD so might as well have him center our third line (his cap is NOT THAT BAD for a decent 3rd line center.. his underproductivity right now could be coincidential as Eller's producitivity).

I know I don't have a crystal ball, but how I can foresee that Galchenyuk will become a better top line center is because his performance sparked from the get-go, as opposed to Eller it took him a bit (hes 5 years older than Galch) and Galch plays more like a natural center considering the fact that he tends to get much more assists than goals, unlike eller who currently has more goals than assists and there have been a previous season where he didn't get enough assists.

I may be pulling a puck-hog card here, but I remember last year when Eller got sore at Galch for stealing his "goal" (in a joking manner). Stuff like this shouldn't be happening in a team setting.

I know most of you want to trade DD because of his size and contract, but DD isn't all that bad since he is faster, and his cap will be cheaper than what Eller will ask for during the off-season. I would complain if he was still centering our first, but hes our third center now and I don't feel the NEED to trade or buy him out.

So what needs to happen in the off season is trade Eller (unless if he has a spectacular playoff run that gets us far) and buyout Briere. We don't know what we would get for Eller or use Briere's cap towards, but even a 1st round pick from a non-playoff qualifying team wouldn't be that bad, it'll be similar to Schneider - Horvat trade.

So assuming we received a pick for Eller, and no changes to the roster as been made, the lines could look like:

Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Gallagher
Bourque - Plekanec - Collberg
Thomas - Desharnais - Bournival
Prust - White - Moen/McCarron

Subban - Markov
Emelin - Gorges
Pateryn - Beaulieu
Tinordi

Obviously we could gain and/or lose during the free agency frenzy but we have a lot of good resources within our house. These lines will be great, I mean we'd have 3 of our best forwards on our top line, second line is the usual two vets and Collberg (who should and would be able to produce at the second line 2 years after his draft.. he was projected to be a top 6 forward within a couple years when he was drafted).
Third line would put one of our best prospects, Thomas, on the wing (if Kristo was still here, he'd be put on the roster by next year, so Thomas better make up for it ;D) and Bournival, who as you know is already producing. Our checking line wouldn't change much other than maybe giving McCarron some NHL experience.. eating up little minutes at the NHL level is better than staying in juniors for a physical guy like him.

Also why is Pateryn in before Tinordi? well he is a better physical presence. Many of you forget that Tinordi isn't really much of an aggressively physical type of player, he is just tall but doesn't have the weight. Pateryn is solid like Dougie Hamilton and he may become stay-at-home, but overall I'd go with him to pair up with our offensive D Beaulieu.

Let me know what you guys think.
I think you are way off base. I see Eller as great 2nd line center for long term here.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Let's see, 100% of Habs fans have been clamoring for a big, strong center for about 15 years and you want to entertain trading him! Ouch!

HabsRockBruinsChoke

Jul 30, 2013
Serious answer: I would trade anyone if it made the team better.

Eller is no different. Still, there's no urgency to do anything really.

People will complain and get sensitive at your suggestion but it's no different than trading say Plekanec.

At this moment, we need Eller but it would be Pejorative Slured to think he's untouchable either. That being said, I don't see a return that would justify trading him.

We're going to lack on the RW position if we let go of both Gionta and Briere next year.. so receive Silfverberg from Anaheim.. or Yakupov or Eberle from Oilers.. there are many options... add a bit more and could get Perry.

PKarey Plekoretty

Nov 16, 2011
Can't oppose my proposal without fully understanding the arguments that come with it :)

Like the above person, what if we gained Yakupov for Eller?

"If he thinks he is such a great center to go around accusing other teams (*Cough* Oils) of being a junior team, maybe he should be able to back it up and become a point-per-game player don't ya think?"

Trade him because he talked a little smack and isn't a PPG player? :help:

"Galchenyuk will likely center our top line starting next season with Plek centering our 2nd."

Pleks will be 31 years old this week, by the time Chucky is our true top line Center, Eller would be better suited as our second line center, considering today he is already playing like our top line

"I may be pulling a puck-hog card here, but I remember last year when Eller got sore at Galch for stealing his "goal" (in a joking manner). Stuff like this shouldn't be happening in a team setting."

This is actually just foolish

"I know most of you want to trade DD because of his size and contract, but DD isn't all that bad"

Yes he really, really is

"So what needs to happen in the off season is trade Eller (unless if he has a spectacular playoff run that gets us far) and buyout Briere."

Why would we buy out Briere in the off season, he would have literally one year left on his contract at that point, if you were going to buy out anyone it would make more sense to buy out DD and his remaining 3 years

"So assuming we received a pick for Eller, and no changes to the roster as been made, the lines could look like:

Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Gallagher
Bourque - Plekanec - Collberg
Thomas - Desharnais - Bournival
Prust - White - Moen/McCarron"

No chance of MacCarron or COlberg being NHL ready next year

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
We're going to lack on the RW position if we let go of both Gionta and Briere next year.. so receive Silfverberg from Anaheim.. or Yakupov or Eberle from Oilers.. there are many options... add a bit more and could get Perry.

Well Briere has an extra year. Gionta is UFA at end of this year. I don't agree with Briere buy out.

Honestly, with Leblanc, Bournival, Holland, etc... I'm not too concerned as Gionta's production will fall off exponentially as he ages.

Like I said, you can trade Eller if you get a solid return but it's hard to say you would. I think we're dreaming if we think perry is available and Edmonton needs defense, not another forward.

I feel bad your thread didn't work out well but you have to suggest the improvement because right now, I don't see it.

Maffew

Born. Raised. Habs. Always.
May 14, 2010
Montréal, QC
...Galchenyuk will likely center our top line starting next season with Plek centering our 2nd...

Stopped reading after this, which I think is further than most people got. Don't put such high expectations on Galchenyuk. He's not even playing a 3rd line center role this season, much less top line next season.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
"Galchenyuk will likely center our top line starting next season with Plek centering our 2nd"

Stopped reading after this, which I think is further than most people got. Don't put such high expectations on Galchenyuk. He's not even playing a 3rd line center role this season, much less top line next season.

That's another issue. The expectations for the kid. I'm thrilled habs have some depth so he has no pressure to be THE guy. We remove that depth(example: this thread) and we may encounter some big issues and destroy his development, confidence, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad