Trading Down

dafoomie

Jul 22, 2005
Boston
Boston is considering it but isn't desparate to do so. They also probably don't want to trade out of the top 15.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Boston is rumored to be shopping there 5th pick. Beyond that i have a hunch one team from 6-9 will probably make one of those move down 4-5 spots for a second rounder type deals.

Dr_Hook

Jun 4, 2006
How about Pittsburgh ? If they can't snatch the nbr 1 pick off St-Louis, which they propably won't, couldn't they be interrested in moving down for some immediate help and then select a D-man or maybe a Tlusty or Stewart type player? I think so.

orcatown

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
I think Washington well might move down with the right offer- that's especially so if Johnson, Toews and Stall are gone.

Deals built around Bertuzzi or Luongo might induce them to trade down with Vancouver or Florida. Would have to include more pieces and some movement of salary but I think this possibility exists.

SPG

Feb 27, 2002
Utica, NY
Visit site
I've also heard whispers that Washington may be looking to move down... but who knows, really. It all depends on how the selections pan out on Saturday.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Dr_Hook said:
How about Pittsburgh ? If they can't snatch the nbr 1 pick off St-Louis, which they propably won't, couldn't they be interrested in moving down for some immediate help and then select a D-man or maybe a Tlusty or Stewart type player? I think so.

Pittsburgh will do one of two things according to Kyle Woodlief in a Pittsburgh radio interview yesterday:

1. Draft one of Staal or Kessel who they are torn between.
2. Trade the pick for a package headlined by Jack Johnson.

He says that he is very confident from what he has heard that option two will be what actually happens. So the Pens would not be trading down but out of the first round of the draft altogether.

Just a note though. The Pens need wings, desperately. Specifically wings that can finish consistently for Crosby and Malkin. Defense they are just fine on. So to trade down in some desperation move for a defenseman not named Johnson who has more holes in his game than a hunk of swiss cheese makes zero sense. They would by reporting, and common sense, do one of those two things listed above. Nothing else absent a blow them away deal.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Jaded-Fan said:
Pittsburgh will do one of two things according to Kyle Woodlief in a Pittsburgh radio interview yesterday:

1. Draft one of Staal or Kessel who they are torn between.
2. Trade the pick for a package headlined by Jack Johnson.

He says that he is very confident from what he has heard that option two will be what actually happens. So the Pens would not be trading down but out of the first round of the draft altogether.

Just a note though. The Pens need wings, desperately. Specifically wings that can finish consistently for Crosby and Malkin. Defense they are just fine on. So to trade down in some desperation move for a defenseman not named Johnson who has more holes in his game than a hunk of swiss cheese makes zero sense. They would by reporting, and common sense, do one of those two things listed above. Nothing else absent a blow them away deal.

Toews <----

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
SOLR said:
Toews <----

Not from listening to Malone, their chief scout, of late. Though he had flattering things to say about Toews he seemed to be more enamoured with Staal and Kessel. Which is just what Woodlief said in his interview. The Pens are torn between Staal and Kessel if they keep the pick.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
Jaded-Fan said:
Not from listening to Malone, their chief scout, of late. Though he had flattering things to say about Toews he seemed to be more enamoured with Staal and Kessel. Which is just what Woodlief said in his interview. The Pens are torn between Staal and Kessel if they keep the pick.

I highly value Woodlief's opinions so I was thrilled to hear the Jack Johnson deal might actually go down. One thing I will say though is that I'm not so sure the Pens aren't interested in Toews as much as the others. This line of thinking seems to come from a couple TV interviews Malone did where the questions he was asked never mentioned Toews, which is beyond his control. If Woodlief says so than I think maybe it's true but before that I think it was only because of the questions he was asked in those interviews (and the package of clips they were showing, they had none of Toews).

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
UnderratedBrooks44 said:
I highly value Woodlief's opinions so I was thrilled to hear the Jack Johnson deal might actually go down. One thing I will say though is that I'm not so sure the Pens aren't interested in Toews as much as the others. This line of thinking seems to come from a couple TV interviews Malone did where the questions he was asked never mentioned Toews, which is beyond his control. If Woodlief says so than I think maybe it's true but before that I think it was only because of the questions he was asked in those interviews (and the package of clips they were showing, they had none of Toews).
Hmm, or... too obviously avoiding mention of Toews, hence is clearly the one they want, right? :sarcasm: :confused:

Gardebut30

Jun 8, 2004
Blind Gardien said:
Hmm, or... too obviously avoiding mention of Toews, hence is clearly the one they want, right? :sarcasm: :confused:

Dartboards come in handy at a time like this. Does Shero have one in his office?

Gardebut30

Jun 8, 2004
UnderratedBrooks44 said:
Are you a Hawks fan? Who seems to be the player you guys want? I've been curious of that for awhile now.

Toews is the guy I want to see in a Hawk sweater the most, and I think Tallon&co. are leaning towards him also. Tallon and Dir. of Hockey Ops Stan Bowman seem to have quite the thing for him.

If Kessel slipped past the Pens along with Toews, however, I'm not sure who they will select. If Kessel is gone by #3, I see Toews as the guy who'll go to Chicago.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
The Hawks are at the mercy of what happens in the #1 and #2 slots...

The one case where the Hawks could trade down one or two slots (with WASH or BOS) is:

IF STL takes ERIK JOHNSON at #1

AND--PITT fails to consummate a deal for Jack Johnson with CAR --and instead drafts TOWES (who I believe was the Hawks preference at #3)...

THat leaves Backstrom-Kessel-Staal on the board at #3...

I think the Hawks have an internal disagreement among several factions after Towes is off the board---coach Yawney loves Backstrom,Tallon I think prefers Staal --but some of the scouts like Kessel and the marketing dept probably likes Kessel...

The Hawks in this conflicted state could be pursuaded to trade down one ottwo spots --I know BOS would prefer Staal and WASH probably likes Backstrom as a playmaker to set-up Ovechkin and Semin..if they thought CHI would take either Backstrom or Staal maybe either would give up a 2nd rounder to move up to prevent that...I don't think WASH would give up #34 or #35 just to get Backstrom
--they probablly would settle for Kessell at #4--but if BOS thought CHI might take Staal--I could see them giving up the #37 to move up --it would also give BOS the option of trading Staal to CAR for Jack Johnson and more (a player).

The Hawks would then take Kessel at #5 (since WASH would have taken Backstrom at #4) if BOS traded upto the #3 in this scenario.

Even though I much prefer Backtrom to Kessell--I could see the Hawks "settling" for PHIL THE THRILL and all his baggage if the extra inducement of an early 2nd rounder were proffered.

dougd

Jul 20, 2002
fortmcmurray ab can
HF50, compliments on covering all the scenario bases.

I like Toews @ 3 myself as I believe he is going to be a cross between Tom Lysiak,Jean Ratelle and Bryan Trottier.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->