Value of: Trading down on Kapanen

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I think a deal around Kapanen and Kadri for Pesce, Walmark and a 2nd would be good value for the Toronto Maple Leafs.

I think if this were done before the deadline, it would make more sense for the Leafs to substitute Ferland for the 2nd. Otherwise, this is the type of deal I think could happen between both clubs given what both have been wanting and keeping off the table.

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
Kapanen’s value suddenly going up reminds me of how ‘valuable’ Abdelkader suddenly became when he became a fixture on Datsyuk’s wing.

Don’t make the same mistake Leafs. Kapanen isn’t a core guy or important piece in the long run. And people saying to move Nylander before him??!? Talk about short-sighted. Kapanen is a great second tier player but those are the guys you part with and replace in the draft, not commit to. Just don’t fall into the trap of paying to keep second tier replaceable guys.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Why would you ever want to downgrade your roster? If he is traded it's to improve somewhere else not to get a worse player because they are cheaper.
Right?
I don't understand those that think that think the Leafs are just going to give away talent.
It's like that thread where the OP tried to rationalize A. Nylander for W. Nylander because look at the cap savings!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Ziggdiezan

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I think a deal around Kapanen and Kadri for Pesce, Walmark and a 2nd would be good value for the Toronto Maple Leafs.

The Hurricanes can help out the Leafs with their cap situation, which will allow Toronto to keep gritty players like Brown. I know he's valuable to Leaf fans because they talk him up so much.
Well Canes fans will be happy to finally be bending TO over in a trade proposal for once i guess...

Reactions: GIN ANTONIC

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
"Skyrocketed" relax bud, hes a 40 something point player as long as hes with matthews. Decent player but be real here, hes not a big deal.

Well given that he hadn't even proven himself as a full time NHL-er before this season started and fast forwarded to now where he's proven himself as a top 6 forward....ya I'd say his value has most certainly sky rocketed. And give me a break with the "as long as he's with Matthews" nonsense. That's just a lazy uninformed opinion that people like to throw around in an attempt to diminish Kapanen. Do yourself a favor and try watching a game and you'll see Kapanen create multiple offensive chances on his own using nothing but his speed; he's not out there tapping in empty netters from Matthews to get all his points.

Last edited:

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Kapanen’s value suddenly going up reminds me of how ‘valuable’ Abdelkader suddenly became when he became a fixture on Datsyuk’s wing.

Don’t make the same mistake Leafs. Kapanen isn’t a core guy or important piece in the long run. And people saying to move Nylander before him??!? Talk about short-sighted. Kapanen is a great second tier player but those are the guys you part with and replace in the draft, not commit to. Just don’t fall into the trap of paying to keep second tier replaceable guys.

Kapanen is much younger, and WORLDS better than Abdelkader, the comparison is completely laughable

Reactions: DanM

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
I don't know that Kapanen s value has skyrocketed. He was a 4th liner with speed put in a position to succeed and he looked great but i don't think anyone really thinks he's Nylander. To me he's gone from a guy with middle 6 potential to a middle sixer. That's not all that unexpected. Nice young player and a quality guy to have but i dont see a star let alone a superstar in the making.

Reactions: The S5

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Kapanen is much younger, and WORLDS better than Abdelkader, the comparison is completely laughable

It really is, and shows that many do not watch him play often lol

Speed
Shot
Physical
200 ft game
PK
PP
Will likely hit 30g in his first year
Prob finish with 50+ points (but seems to be playing even better, so who knows, could be more)

Funny how people don't watch him play, especially on the trade threads, but that's ok. I find AJ is also getting that disrespect, oh well lol

Last edited:

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Leafs are all in this year, anything that makes them worse now they wont do and will deal with the cap issues as they come.

Reactions: DanM

KDOTO

Feb 17, 2018
TDOTO
I don't know that Kapanen s value has skyrocketed. He was a 4th liner with speed put in a position to succeed and he looked great but i don't think anyone really thinks he's Nylander. To me he's gone from a guy with middle 6 potential to a middle sixer. That's not all that unexpected. Nice young player and a quality guy to have but i dont see a star let alone a superstar in the making.
He has shown when given that he can play on the top line, middle or 4th, he can pk and now pp. He pacing for a min 25 goals and that's me wishing he stops scoring so he can stY at the price I want him at. Do I see a star, I don't know I think he himself does and I like betting on guys who believe in themselves. He has ticked every box you want since his trade over here and in no way am my gonna flat out say he is a 40 point guy, or a middle sixer amd not gonna be a Star. All I know is I wouldn't make that bet now against that happening today compared to the summer.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Kappy the next Abdelkader? we lucked out they are so similar production wise its amazing.

Abdelkader: break out season 51 point pace season, 27 years old
Kapanen: break out season 50 point season, 22 years old

10/10 comparison.

to add, that was Abdelkaders best pace of is career too, career high of 44 points, only ever hit or paced for 40 once again later and thats it. all in his late 20's..

Reactions: The List Of Jericho

Steveei

Sep 10, 2012
Why would you trade down on Kapanen right now? You bridge him for 2-4 years, and you have Kapanen at a cost-controlled price for that duration. Leafs will be in win mode for the next few years when they have Rielly, Freddy, and Kadri all on good contracts. You trade down on him at the end of his bridge if anything (if you know he's going to ask for a lot and we're unable to afford him).

StroShow

Dec 22, 2013
Vancouver
Would love Kapanen in VAN but not sure they have the right pieces. Would suggest something like Woo+ but don't think it would be enough.

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
Kapanen is a good player for Toronto and shouldn't be traded. They can probably get him signed under 6m and is the type of player to support your core.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Can't immediately see any candidates to trade "down" on Kapanen, maybe someone like Bjorkstrand in Columbus? locked up for 2 more seasons after this 1 at 2.5 million per year and also would be an RFA at the end of his current deal. Had 40 points last year but only on pace for 30 this year so would have to add a pick from Columbus.

Think it is worth the Leafs hanging on to Kapanen, even if they can only bridge him for 1 year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad