Value of: Trading down on Kapanen

Paladin2799

Jul 15, 2009
I love Kapanen and I don't want anyone to think i'm moving him off the team on a whim.

The contracts with Matthews and Marner have made it clear that we are in a cap crunch. Its not gloom and doom but I wonder if there is an opportunity to trade down on Kapanen for a good contract that could suit the team while still not dumping value.

An example would be Kadri, good solid player, fantastic contract, signed for years, easy to work around in a max cap team.

Just thought I would spurn a discussion.

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
I'm a little confused by what you mean by "trading down". How can you trade down, but not dump value? Personally I'd dump a number of other players for next to nothing before I even considered moving Kapanen for any sort of a downgrade.

Kapanen's value has skyrocketed this year. He'd fetch a sizeable return on his own at this point. Outside of the obvious big 5 (Matthews, Tavares, Marner, Rielly, Andersen), Kapanen has been our important player this year IMO and he's still getting better.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I love Kapanen and I don't want anyone to think i'm moving him off the team on a whim.

The contracts with Matthews and Marner have made it clear that we are in a cap crunch. Its not gloom and doom but I wonder if there is an opportunity to trade down on Kapanen for a good contract that could suit the team while still not dumping value.

An example would be Kadri, good solid player, fantastic contract, signed for years, easy to work around in a max cap team.

Just thought I would spurn a discussion.

I think a deal around Kapanen and Kadri for Pesce, Walmark and a 2nd would be good value for the Toronto Maple Leafs.

The Hurricanes can help out the Leafs with their cap situation, which will allow Toronto to keep gritty players like Brown. I know he's valuable to Leaf fans because they talk him up so much.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Trading Kapanen is a last resort. You move Brown first, pay someone to take Zaitsev and maybe Marleau is somehow moved this summer. You don't need to entirely gut your depth. I'd move Nylander before Kapanen in all honesty.
I've seen this quite a bit lately. I wouldn't have thought it would be a viable option since they could have just traded him before all the contract holdout. Would it not suggest that they will be keeping him?

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I've seen this quite a bit lately. I wouldn't have thought it would be a viable option since they could have just traded him before all the contract holdout. Would it not suggest that they will be keeping him?
Dont get me wrong, I'd love to keep him and Dubas does too. I just think if you're looking at cap casualties, would you rather have Nylander or Kapanen and Johnsson for roughly the same price?

Reactions: ImpartialNHLfan

Pile

May 5, 2015
Chicago
Why would you ever want to downgrade your roster? If he is traded it's to improve somewhere else not to get a worse player because they are cheaper.

A la the Panarin for Saad trade. It’s not really in the best interest of the team to make moves like that, especially if you think you have a shot at the cup this season.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
I'm a little confused by what you mean by "trading down". How can you trade down, but not dump value? Personally I'd dump a number of other players for next to nothing before I even considered moving Kapanen for any sort of a downgrade.

Kapanen's value has skyrocketed this year. He'd fetch a sizeable return on his own at this point. Outside of the obvious big 5 (Matthews, Tavares, Marner, Rielly, Andersen), Kapanen has been our important player this year IMO and he's still getting better.
"Skyrocketed" relax bud, hes a 40 something point player as long as hes with matthews. Decent player but be real here, hes not a big deal.

Reactions: flamesforcup

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I don't think anyone outside the Leafs organization knows the answer to that.
I dont think we'll ever know but I'd be surprised if Dubas wasnt open to dealing him. I know a lot of people hate the contract but it may end up a bargain in the next few years. I also think hes a PPG player in his prime so theres that.

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
I think a deal around Kapanen and Kadri for Pesce, Walmark and a 2nd would be good value for the Toronto Maple Leafs.

The Hurricanes can help out the Leafs with their cap situation, which will allow Toronto to keep gritty players like Brown. I know he's valuable to Leaf fans because they talk him up so much.
Yea take out Kadri, Walmark, and the 2nd and it’s a done deal.

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
Dont get me wrong, I'd love to keep him and Dubas does too. I just think if you're looking at cap casualties, would you rather have Nylander or Kapanen and Johnsson for roughly the same price?
Nylander. He’s having a bad year, but he’s the best player of the 3, with the highest potential.

He really screwed himself by sitting out(in terms of his readiness for the season), but he’s got what it takes to be a truly elite player imo.

Reactions: AustonPowers

DoobieDubas

Legalize Hitting Again
Jul 15, 2018
Toronto

no lol just no

Reactions: The3rd

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad