Speculation: Trading back up in the 1st round

rhef3

Jul 28, 2016
Just outside St.louis
Just wanting to get a feel for the general consensus of Detroit moving up from the vegas pick and possibly targeting someone in the 16-20 range.

Is there anyone worthy of such a trade or do you feel comfortable with the vegas 1st, 33 and 36

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Just wanting to get a feel for the general consensus of Detroit moving up from the vegas pick and possibly targeting someone in the 16-20 range.

Is there anyone worthy of such a trade or do you feel comfortable with the vegas 1st, 33 and 36

I feel good with the picks.

What did you want to deal to move up?

rhef3

Jul 28, 2016
Just outside St.louis
I wouldn't know what it would take but with 11 picks I sure would like to get a center in that range

Vegas 1st, 36 and a later round should do it I think.

Just would really enjoy grabbing the likes of kupari, hayton or kotkaniemi if they are slipping.

To come out with a D and C in the top 20 I believe would be worth it in the long haul.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

No.

Given the choice between 4 in the top 4 or 2 in the top 20, I want 4 in the top 40. We need quality AND quantity to improve this team.

And also having 4 in the first 40 allows us to go out on a limb and grab a Ryan Merkley if he's there at VGK's pick which could be a huge bust or could be a top 5 talent who matures and sheds his attitude. Whereas, if you trade and get #16 for those three picks, you gotta make that one at #16 a hit.

Reactions: njx9

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Yes it would, I'm just seeing if anyone had a specific player in mind that would be worth the trade.

Going by the guys expected to be there, no. If a guy like Hughes, Dobson, Wahlstrom, etc. fall to 15 or 16 a la Liljegren, you think about it. But that's something that you moreso react to in the moment than plan for happening. The guys expected to be taken in the mid first round, I don't want to trade up for. I think it's a deep draft class after the top where there is huge separation.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
I don't think AA is long term with the Wings, and I don't think his value will increase with time.

If a team was eager to get him for a mid-first round pick, I would give up one of the second round picks with AA.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I think keeping the picks as they are should be the default here

i'd only feel up for changing that under the very specific circumstances of someone falling to where they really shouldn't be,like if Hughes fell to 15 because of his size or Boqvist to 15 because of his concussion thing or whatever

masta8

Apr 26, 2018
I don't think AA is long term with the Wings, and I don't think his value will increase with time.

If a team was eager to get him for a mid-first round pick, I would give up one of the second round picks with AA.
i rather keep AA and trade someone like nyqvist if a player needs to be added in the deal..you got to give AA a second chance to prove himself, and I don't think Blashill lasts much longer so his relationship with Blashill won't be an issue much longer. I do think using some of the 2nds to move up if it the player is worth it, but wouldn't be upset if they keep those picks too. Has the red wings even had 3 1st round picks in the same draft before? LOL

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Team has at least one more year of tanking and years more of rebuilding. Both AA and nyquist should be available for trades.

Just one more year of tanking is beyond hopeful. Realistically we are in tank mode for 2-3 more years accumulating talent. maybe even a 4th year. The best scenario would be finding 3-5 d in 2-3 years and at the end drafting a top 6 or better center and maybe 1 top line winger.
The offense is best served last because we don't want a elite center or winger coming in producing near ppg by the second year making there 2nd rfa's expensive and lifting us out of bottom 8 range until we get our defense fixed. Look at Toronto for instance. They stand potentially to be a first two round fodder team because they didn't fix there defense first and Nylander and Matthews put them out of the cellar range to be able to easier load up on good d hopefully.

Reactions: rhef3

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
I agree we need to move Nyquist. Like Tatar, his greatest value will be just before the trade deadline when a playoff bound team is wiling to mortgage their future. Wings will sweeten the deal by retaining 50% of his salary.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin

As I mentioned in another thread...The NYI have the 11th, and 12th picks...Would Snow be willing, or does he have his eye on a guy that would have him trade his 11th, 12th, 41st, and 43rd picks for Detroit's 6th, and 29th (Vegas pick)?

Granted - we'd lose a top 10 pick, but then our second 1st rounder would be much lower, and possibly gaining two more 2nd round picks.

It's highly unlikely to happen, but I could see someone like Holland pull it off.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I don't think trading 3 picks in this draft is the way to go, but if you were looking at trading the VGK 1st, DRW 2nd, and either a second or a third from next year, I would entertain it if there was an absolute guarantee of landing someone like a Kotkaniemi. That would be the only move I would make involving 3 picks, and the reason I am comfortable with it is knowing that we are likely recouping those picks at some point in the next year. Leading up to this draft or during this offseason, during the season, at the deadline, it's likely that we are picking up draft picks in the 2019 draft whether it's through Glendening or Nyquist or Athanasiou or Daley or whoever, so trading a second or a third in 2019 as a kicker to pick up a player with a top 10-15 grade this year would be something I would do. But it has to be for someone dropping out of the top 10. Jesperi Kotkaniemi, Oliver Wahlstrom, Ty Smith, that type of player.

I think that an approach like this is way too aggressive for an organization as passive as the Wings have been recently, and I know that it's way too aggressive for a lot of people posting here judging by the responses that have come in on this topic now and in the past. I do believe we will trade up, but it would likely be only around 10 picks, to the 18-22 range to move up from 29, and definitely won't include more than two of our top 4 picks this year. Just a gut feeling.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
i rather keep AA and trade someone like nyqvist if a player needs to be added in the deal..you got to give AA a second chance to prove himself, and I don't think Blashill lasts much longer so his relationship with Blashill won't be an issue much longer. I do think using some of the 2nds to move up if it the player is worth it, but wouldn't be upset if they keep those picks too. Has the red wings even had 3 1st round picks in the same draft before? LOL

IMO, Nyquist doesn't have much trade value in a hypothetical "trade up" scenario being proposed in this thread. The team getting him is only guaranteed to have him for one season before they either try to turn him into assets at the deadline or watch him potentially walk as a UFA. On top of that, Nyquist has a full NTC, so he gets to pick where he goes. It's entirely possible that he isn't open to waiving it until the trade deadline.

AA probably doesn't have much value either. While he's still young, maybe still has upside and may benefit from a change of scenery, I'll bet the other GM's in the NHL wouldn't be thrilled with the notion of having to deal with Darren Ferris on an extension right off the bat.

As far as "2nd chances" and "relationships" go with AA, I think a lot is going to depend on how contract talks go this summer (if they even get to that point). I would imagine after his lengthy hold out followed by his play this past season, AA's relationship issues go well beyond Blashill. If he and Ferris decide to drag things out into camp or into arbitration, I can see Holland looking to wash his hands of him this summer. Since Holland and Blashill are both returning, I can also see AA requesting a trade so he can get that "2nd chance" with another team/coach. I wonder how sorry he is for not taking that 2 x $1.9M deal initially offered last summer?

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
I don't picture them trading down quite so low as 16 or 17. I think it would be more like 18-21. Maybe 18 is even pushing it.

With three picks from about 30-ish to 36, I think they would probably come up with one prospect who eventually works out pretty well. In other words, I think there's about a 1 in 3 shot when drafting in that area. So, it wouldn't be bad to keep things as is.

On the other hand, if they trade down to around 20th, then they likely have a chance at a more elite talent than they would drafting in the 30s, and I think the chance of getting someone around 20th who works out well is closer to 50-50. Moreover, if they trade down, they would still be left with two chances at success in that 35-ish area.

So either way is not bad. Maybe it just comes down to making the trades that they need to with expiring contracts and seeing if the option is there to trade down as a part of a deal. I think they'll want picks for whoever they trade. Maybe they'll even end up with more picks in the 30s.

Last edited:

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
It's something that would happen in the moment if they saw somebody they really wanted.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
I can’t honestly recall the last time Ken Holland moved up in the first round of the draft, but I’d definitely be interested in getting a 10-20 pick as well.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I can’t honestly recall the last time Ken Holland moved up in the first round of the draft, but I’d definitely be interested in getting a 10-20 pick as well.

True, but Holland also at least claims that the mindset has changed and that they're in a full-fledged rebuild now. So maybe that will change.

What would be interesting is how far could Detroit move up with Vegas 1st + Nyquist.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
It totally depends who is left on the board and where. Of the guys projected to go in the 10-20 range, Kotkaniemi and Denisenko are the only ones that truly interest me. The cost to get the former is going to be really, really high.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->